BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Whoah!! Prices in Los Barrilles!
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 10:33 AM

I’ve never considered Baja to be really inexpensive. Virtually everything has to come in down that winding stretch of asphalt or by boat. It is an island.

I’ve been to Los Barriles off and on over the last almost 20 years. Back then you didn’t have 2 foot curbs on Calle 20 Noviembre, Trinys was a pink house, and you were more likely to meet a horse at night than a person. If you stayed at playa del sol, meals were included, because frankly, there weren’t a lot of options for food.

Fast forward to 2019 and there are a whole bunch of options for food. Playa del sol is a boutique hotel (fresh paint), and there is a bunch more traffic on the beach.

I stayed in LB last year for a bit in a rather reasonably priced studio air bnb, I shopped at the supermercado and thought the produce was well priced, and would have lunch for two at el Viejo for 90 pesos. The Saturday farmers market, while not especially cheap (like a lot of farmers markets, has some very tasty options.

I never seemed to have any problem with my stilted spanish.

If you go to la playa when there is a band, there is no cover, so you are basically paying with your $6 margarita for the entertainment. I also seem to recall the menu was in dollars. Hot tip, split the burro la playa with a friend.

True Los Barriles has more people and all that brings. And I don’t think it will get less crowded with all the building going on down in La Ribera.

If you want to get away from it all go visit Blanca in La Bocana. The grocery store alone is worth the visit. No kidding. And there is wind.

[Edited on 12-5-2019 by Purdyd]

[Edited on 12-6-2019 by Purdyd]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

La Ribera may have less expensive eateries???

It looks like the La Ribera casita that was home to George Bergin (Osprey) and his wife Lynda is still on the market. We only visited once and found it not particularly developed, but this was long before the Four Seasons broke ground. We ate at a little restaurant with a very nice view.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 11:44 AM

Hahaha Everyone should come visit us in La Bocana for sure!!!! It would be so wonderful to know all of you personally.

I can't tell you how many times my feelings have been hurt when someone says they went through our village and didn't stop by. And by the same token, I have been honored by many who stop by to introduce themselves. Make my day!

Our neck of the woods is quite different quite remote and quite special to boot. If you come early, you are invited to a cup of coffee. If you come by later in the afternoon, have a Pacifico clara with Les.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 07:40 PM

Los Barriles was horrible 30 years ago, now it's worse, stay away unless you enjoy paying 5 x for crappy food and hanging with white trash at Smokeys yelling at the TV.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 09:11 PM

too many milk faces, unfortunately a problem in lots of places in Baja nowadays :-/

there is certainly still plenty of great deals to be had, just go where the locals (brown locals) not expats go

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 09:15 PM

Ha, Paul I so much agree, town has gone to hell so I have been telling everyone I know they should check out La Ventana. Great Restaurants, hotels, campgrounds and cheap. Don't come to Los Barriles it sucks big time and there is corruption everywhere.... If you are in to wind sports don't come here, even the wind has stopped blowing.:biggrin:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 03:24 AM

It's so bad, not even Jay Valentine is coming back because there is no good coffee! And don't get me started about Lil Martine, he ran for the hills, of course he always ran for the hills cause that's where he lives. Remember when we had huge toga parties en el monumento de la bandera, now they can't even afford a flag. It's so expensive, a Pacifico is $50mn at Smokeys and some lady wants $300mn for flip flops on Main Street! The roads are so bad your tires will fall off. No wifi, and the power is always off! Beach is full of sand and rocks! 200mn just to play pickleball.

DSC_4777 (1).jpeg - 186kB

DSC_4772 (1).jpeg - 179kB

[Edited on 12-6-2019 by gnukid]
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 11:16 AM

c. Take advantage of Spa Vida’s holidays promos! first you can get a 90 minutes hot stones massage with 10% discount or a Pedicure and a Facial for only 75 usd. You can make your appointment through FB, or spavidalosbarriles@gmail.com, phone: 624 141 0834

From BPE...Whow, WE must be paying this! That is almost what a plumber costs in the states!
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 11:39 AM

‘Ha, Paul I so much agree, town has gone to hell so I have been telling everyone I know they should check out La Ventana. Great Restaurants, hotels, campgrounds and cheap. Don't come to Los Barriles it sucks big time and there is corruption everywhere.... If you are in to wind sports don't come here, even the wind has stopped blowing‘.:biggrin:

Please don't!! What is cheap? They are more expensive than most and knowing many locals, they may have started the gringo roast.
And on a another way to look at it is...why are local businessmen and women not allowed to charge what the market bears. Econ 101.

Kitefag Kip, maybe this is just not the place for you. When you are driving home and Mexicans wave at you, it really isn't saying hi.

Maybe sign up for a facial..of a different type:lol:

And if you think KFK is cheap look at this disrespectful dig at the locals form BPE.... Wanted used toilet, needed for construction workers on our build site. gwenbathgate@gmail.com....Wow and people wonder why they try and ‘ rip us off‘‘Cant buy a 400 peso toilet for their workers. Curious how the build will end up?:?:
We truly are a pathetic bunch from the north
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

Kitefag Kip, maybe this is just not the place for you. When you are driving home and Mexicans wave at you, it really isn't saying hi.

What's with the fag stuff. You trolling?

Do I need to report this?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 08:00 PM

I don’t know why this thread keeps going off the rails. No need to be insulting even if you disagree.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 01:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Charles Manson is a homophphobe. He spews hate speech. These hateful hateful homophobes have homosexual urges which they do not understand, so they lash out with hate speech — they may be saved with therapy, but usually they are lost causes that should be shunned, banned, stoned, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 06:51 AM

Yeah, Thanks for the fag comment. I smoke Chesterfields.

Been driving to La Ventana for kite & pole surfing sine 1994. In 2017 while there in January it honestly seemed like it was %50 more crowded than one year previous. Now, on facebook LV I'm seeing a new boutique restaurant (milk face) open every day.
I hope my Al Pastor is still there when I arrive in Jan.

Finally got my La Paz-Maz BF ticket. That was an ordeal. Required a drive to CSL, and a 40 minute wait.

Fag

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 07:33 AM

Finally got my La Paz-Maz BF ticket. That was an ordeal. Required a drive to CSL, and a 40 minute wait.

You´re lucky you didn´t do it in La Paz! I waited 2.5 hrs a week and a half ago.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

You´re lucky you didn´t do it in La Paz! I waited 2.5 hrs a week and a half ago.

Strange... and 2 years ago the webpage worked for Baja Ferry and you could check it at any OXXO. Needs work.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  

Strange... and 2 years ago the webpage worked for Baja Ferry and you could check it at any OXXO. Needs work.

Then you could walk in the La Paz office and be out in 5 minutes.
greasecoyote

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 10:19 PM

Do they not sell them anymore at the various "agencia de viajes" in downtown La Paz?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 11:24 AM

All of Baja is changing, and prices rise everywhere. What irked me about Los B. is the lack of access to the beach. And it's a long walk to water's edge to boot. However, I found that after asking at Sunrise RV Park if I could park there, that just down the beach from there is a cluster of rocks with decent snorkeling. The yurts at Buena Vista Spa neighborhood are cheap compared to others. And a $10 day-use pass at the fancy hotel next door allows your day of luxury, with bar service, meals, TV, etc. Gotta roll with the punches, adjust your attitude. I camp as well - lots of free camping - I wake up to the real Baja that is still a unique spot on the planet, and that doesn't get old for me.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
All of Baja is changing, and prices rise everywhere. What irked me about Los B. is the lack of access to the beach. And it's a long walk to water's edge to boot. However, I found that after asking at Sunrise RV Park if I could park there, that just down the beach from there is a cluster of rocks with decent snorkeling. The yurts at Buena Vista Spa neighborhood are cheap compared to others. And a $10 day-use pass at the fancy hotel next door allows your day of luxury, with bar service, meals, TV, etc. Gotta roll with the punches, adjust your attitude. I camp as well - lots of free camping - I wake up to the real Baja that is still a unique spot on the planet, and that doesn't get old for me.

Since retiring 10 years ago we always flee the dark wet SAD Novembers in Seattle WA. I must say that after trying a different place every Nov/Dec each year that BCS has maybe the most agreeable climate over any Mx spot for this month. We tried: Oaxaca City (smoggy crowded), Lagos de Moreno (near freezing night temps), Manzanillo (still to muggy hot 90/90), Havana (a train wreck for exploring comforts), more.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 06:15 PM

I've found the Yucatan peninsula has a lot to offer - Jan, Feb, Mar is nice. Cenotes, archaeology, lakes, beaches, caves, small villages, kayaking, snorkeling, museums, fruit stands, many simple, affordable cottages; I camp there as well - free to $10/nt.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.