BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Passport Cards and Passport Books?
Vaquito

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 05:57 PM
Passport Cards and Passport Books?

I have two questions for the group: Has anyone traveled all the way to La Paz by motor vehicle using only the new Passport Card?
I ask because Tecate Mexican Immigration says I cannot go to Baja Sur with the Card! It must be a Passport Book! Question 2: Does the FFM permit allow me to enter at one border station and exit Mexico by another border station? Example: Enter at Tecate and several weeks later exit at Tijuana.
Please help as trip begins about December 20
Thank you,
Vaquito

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 06:02 PM

I've NEVER brought my passport for Baja only my card.

And many times crossed and returned at a different crossing.

You don't need to return the FMM (I always get the 180 bay type)

Also welcome to Baja Nomads...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 06:11 PM

Perhaps they thought you were flying to Cabo? The US federal website says card is valid for land travel in North America, including Canada and Mexico. I assume Baja Sur is still part of Mexico?

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 06:15 PM

The passport (card or book) is only shown to get the FMM at the border... and to U S officials when you come back north. There is nobody looking at passports anywhere else, typically.
Nobody will know when you cross into Baja Sur or care.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 07:05 PM

In early November I traveled from Ensenada to Los Cabos and back and I was never asked for any identification card in either direction. I had a permanent resident card, which was never asked for and my friend on the journey was on an FMM, which was never asked for. I don't think it's an issue.

[Edited on 12-4-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 09:30 AM

Have read from Mex Imm that the card is for travel in
the border region of Mex. Doesn't seem to be their common
regs though. Travellers flying TJ so., have been issued an fmm at the
TJ airport with the card for flights so. One can get different info
from the various Imm border offices

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 10:24 AM

if you want or a need a passport 60 miles into mexico you'll need the book.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 10:30 AM

Most likely, if you need a serious ID, your FMM needs to exactly match whatever document you used to obtain the FMM. If you used a card, then that's what you should have with you.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 11:00 AM

For your other question, Yes you can go back and forth through different POE's. I will typically cross south at San Ysidro because it is easiest to get my FMM and then cross NB at Tecate as the lines are typically shorter.

In Memory of E-57
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 07:38 AM

Welcome to Bajanomad!

We are now citizens but before we used to enter and leave via many different entry points.

I highly recommend having a passport JUST IN CASE you need to fly home for any reason. The card is good for land but not for air.

In September when I went to the States, I walked across at the ped west and handed the officer my passport card.

He asked for my passport book! When I asked if the card wasn't enough, he said it was only good if you went by car. Go figure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 09:55 AM

I read an earlier thread here that the passport card would trigger the metal detector at the airport. sure enough I got dinged so I packed it for the return, anyone else found this to be the case?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I read an earlier thread here that the passport card would trigger the metal detector at the airport. sure enough I got dinged so I packed it for the return, anyone else found this to be the case?

Ever since I got a new replaced knee every time I go through a scan it's now a major search..

I've had Global entry and TSA pre-check for many years now and it's no good anymore...

I'm thinking of growing my beard long, dying it black and wearing a Turban...
Might as well have some fun with it.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 10:40 AM

I keep the Passport Card handy and on my person in case anyone asks for it (no one ever has.)

I use Global Entry Card to come back into the US.

I stash my Passport Book deep in a place where no one will find it and it can't get stolen (unless my whole car gets stolen.) I've never had to show it but like to have it just in case. Also it's good to have in case you have to fly back.

BajaBlanca is right that you can get turned away at pedestrian crossings coming into Mexico if you don't have the book.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 10:46 AM

Good to know. Gracias!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-6-2019 at 07:28 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.