BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Propane or electric smokers? And the Dude abides.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 07:14 AM
Propane or electric smokers? And the Dude abides.

SWMBO has issued a kitchen pass to drop $300-$400 on a new smoker. Cool.
I'm a novice and need pros/cons on propane vs electric. I intend to smoke fish, sausages, and birds.
Thanks

dude2.jpg - 248kB
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 08:07 AM

I have had several smokers over the past 20 years, Propane powered will produce alot of water vapor as a by product of burning. and for my tastes, the heat is harder to control. For those reasons, I like the electric units I have had better than the propane-powered ones.

I started out with the cheap old school units, essentially just a box with the heat at the bottom, and you put in your wood chips on a tray or pan above the heat source. They work fine, but the do take considerable babysitting adding chips and controlling temperatures.

If you are looking for more flexibility and usefulness, I really like my Traeger unit. (lots of other brands around, I don't know how good they are) But i really like that they use wood pellets, an electrical auger feeds the smokebox , heat is controlled automatically, and smoke cycles in stages. I can smoke/cook all sorts of things. I use that thing a couple times a week just making dinner.

[Edited on 12-7-2019 by caj13]
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 09:08 AM

A pellet grill will get the job done and you have MANY manufacturers to choose from. I have a ZGrills brand and am very happy with it (about 1/3 less cost than a Traeger and made in the same Chinese factory). Pellet grills are basically a wood-fired convection oven and are OK smokers.

If your needs are a more true smoker you may want to consider a vertical wood pellet smoker. There are several variations here as well. My choice would be the Pit Boss brand.

https://pitboss-grills.com/vertical-smokers/3-series-wood-pe...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 09:30 AM

simple decision propane you cant use electric if you dont have it...some of us leave Oxnard once in a while
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
...some of us leave Oxnard once in a while

I actually had to look on a map for Oxnard and then it hit me - back in the Spring of 1969 I spent 4 or 5 days in various Malibu canyons. Found myself on somebody's front deck with a guitar (among other things) being passed around. When it came to my turn I played a riff I learned from some dude on the streets of Bakersfield.
Decided to take my Honda 160 to Santa Barbara up Hiway 1 and got cut off by a farmer hauling chickens in Oxnard and had to lay the little bike down. Tore it and me up pretty good, this was before mandatory helmet laws. I swore I would never ever go to Oxnard again and I've kept that promise.

My garage band buddies often wonder who that guy in Bakersfield was that showed us the riff that I shared with some random dudes in Malibu that ended up on "49 Byes-Byes" on CS&N debut album. One of life's little mysteries.

And your point is well taken; up here in NorCal reliable electricity is getting to be an somewhat iffy.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 10:27 AM

the smoker you drink the player you get......

someone had to do it!:P
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
...some of us leave Oxnard once in a while

I actually had to look on a map for Oxnard and then it hit me - back in the Spring of 1969 I spent 4 or 5 days in various Malibu canyons. Found myself on somebody's front deck with a guitar (among other things) being passed around. When it came to my turn I played a riff I learned from some dude on the streets of Bakersfield.
Decided to take my Honda 160 to Santa Barbara up Hiway 1 and got cut off by a farmer hauling chickens in Oxnard and had to lay the little bike down. Tore it and me up pretty good, this was before mandatory helmet laws. I swore I would never ever go to Oxnard again and I've kept that promise.

My garage band buddies often wonder who that guy in Bakersfield was that showed us the riff that I shared with some random dudes in Malibu that ended up on "49 Byes-Byes" on CS&N debut album. One of life's little mysteries.

And your point is well taken; up here in NorCal reliable electricity is getting to be an somewhat iffy.

here in port hueneme we aspire to live in oxnard!:lol:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 11:20 AM

I have 2 pits right now and 2 grills that I smoke on now. It really doesn't matter what you buy. The important thing is getting to know the pit and learning how to make a consistent product. There is lots of info. about smoking, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Cookbooks.
Get what you think is going to work for you. I prefer a pit with some insulation for constituency, Most of my smoking is with a water pan to add a bit of steam. I use both charcoal and fruit and nut woods. Brining is a good thing.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 11:25 AM

My sister and I both have Masterbuilt electric smokers. She has the big one with glass door, I've got the smaller version. Mine works great for fish, ribs, pork butt, turkey breast. A bit small for a whole turkey, which we did in my sister's larger model over Thanksgiving. Turned out fantastic.

John
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 11:35 AM

My vote is for the Traeger smoker/griller as it does many things well.

A plus is it doesn't need a big power source to run, as an inverter hooked up to a car battery is sufficient to operate it.

Making it vary portable.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

A plus is it doesn't need a big power source to run, as an inverter hooked up to a car battery is sufficient to operate it.

Making it vary portable.

Yes, I just saw a Yoder pellet smoker in action, only drew 1.7A@120V, my small Masterbuilt draws 6.7A. I have no idea how they use so little power to heat a huge barrel smoker, still trying to figure it out. That alone makes the pellet smoker look damn good.

John
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Making it vary portable.

X2 , the traegers are excellent. a buddy has one. consistently great results.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 12:59 PM

I'm a fan of flavor, and as such, I use a stick burner to smoke stuff, in this case a pork butt. I burn some oak wood, but mostly hickory and apple wood. After 10 hours, I lifted the pig off the grate and it almost broke in two on its own. The smoke leaves a tasty smoke ring and the bark came out super flavorful.

The top photo was taken about half way through the smoke, just before I wrapped it.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 02:22 PM

I have both, a propane down here in BoLA and a Traeger up in San Diego. The Traeger is so easy you just dial in the temp, put the food in and monitor it with your remote thermometer when its done you have some really good eats. My propane smoker needs tending to monitor the internal temp of the smoker and I need to add Mesquite logs to keep the smoke going. Both give great results but now that I am over the thrill of smoking and more interested in the results I lean towards the Traeger or any similar pellet smoker cause they are so easy. I'm bringing my Traeger back with me this trip north and will pick up another one off Craigslist for my summer stays up north.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 04:11 PM

WHY? Does everything have to be EASY? Its not supposed to be easy.... How you gonna get the LOVE, personality and feeling for friends in that meat by pushing a button and walking away to watch TV? Show that loin, those ribs, that Ham, that you care! Makes me weep,,,
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 04:40 PM

Anything The Dude smoked would be wrapped in papers.

Now, there's a topic. Remember all the exotic rolling papers from the 60s and 70s?
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 07:02 AM

I had and used all three over the years, propane, wood pellet and charcoal/wood. After 40 years plus of smoking/grillings here's my findings to my and my friends pallets to smoking meats.

1. Weber 22", 26", and 18" Weber Smokey Mountain:
A pain in the ass for long 12-16 hr smokes, i.e. staying up most of the night keeping on temperature water level and fire but the rewards are worth it. Great smoke ring and flavor, Best brisket ever.

2. Propane Smoker:
Hard to keep on temp. Minimal smoke flavor or ring. Easy to over cook. IMO just a glorified outdoor oven. I gave mine away.

3. Pellet wood smoker: Since I usually cook for 25-50 people at my parties I use a RECTEC pellet smoker for it large cooking surface. https://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/rt-700
I can get 2 briskets, 2 pork butts and 3 racks of ribs all at once with an above grill meat grate. It's a convection over in my opinion and offers little smoke flavor BUT is easy to operate and control of the temperature. Set it at night and wake up in the morning on 16 hour smokes and know it will be just fine.

Recently have been experimenting by initially smoking the briskets/ribs/butts in a 26" weber at 275-300 degrees in heavy smoke for 1-4 hour depending on the meat and finishing in the pellet smoker.

As Chuckie says its a labor of love. My smoking techniques are quit a conversation piece at my parties.

Fatty Brisket

WHY? Does everything have to be EASY? Its not supposed to be easy.... How you gonna get the LOVE, personality and feeling for friends in that meat by pushing a button and walking away to watch TV? Show that loin, those ribs, that Ham, that you care! Makes me weep,,,

[Edited on 12-8-2019 by Lobsterman]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 07:51 AM

THE Lobsterman NAILS it!!! BUT stick burners were not part of the query...There is no question that wood is the best....The work that goes in, puts the flavor, the heart,.the soul, the love, the smell, the scene into smoking,now...Plus the fun of finding, cutting, splitting, and storing and hideing the wood.....shut this thread down...The real secret has been revealed...and on SUNDAY too....Praise the Lord!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.