Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I had no idea
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2019 at 04:47 PM
I had no idea

The Serenidad hotel in Mulege would be 1500 P per night for a single room.

It was getting dark, I had been on the road since San Felipe.
You know, the time you say that's it, no more driving.

The dirt road in was slimey in parts and obvious some had a tough time making headway by the look of the tracks in the slime. Blame that on the recent rains I suppose.

No TV in the room and no WIFI either.
WIFI was in the lobby/restaurant.

Had some nice pescado Veracruz in the restaurant and 4 hours later I was on the throne giving back. The serving was yellowtail and I could taste that it was not fresh. No telling if that is what sent me scrambling to the throne or not.
Mashed potatoes and some tasty veggies complimented the good Veracruz sauce

The place is old, lots of charm and they still do a roast pig on Saturday if there are at least 30 guests staying there (so says the nice lady in reception) and ribs every Saturday no matter how many guests.
Reception opened at 6:30AM and there was coffee to be had.

I was expecting a blizzard of mosquitos but only had to swat two off my ears while in bed.

There is a first for everything. This being the very first time staying there, despite passing by it for the last 19 years.

A bit further down the road, that dreaded palm tree is STILL above the high water mark at Playa Coyote. I was stunned.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2019 at 04:58 PM

Was that about $80 US? A bit high, maybe. Location, Location, Location.
Yes, the place dates back to the 1960s and was primarily a fly-in resort with huge groups of pilots staying there. It has one of the best dirt strips in Baja.
We (Cameron Steele's Trail of Missions Recon crew) were there for two nights, last May. Food was VERY GOOD.. so we were lucky!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2019 at 07:58 PM

Glad about the no mosquitoes but what a bummer that you had bad food.

I say the same thing every time, it is really important to let the restaurant people know. Someone blew it and didn't follow proper procedure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Glad about the no mosquitoes but what a bummer that you had bad food.

I say the same thing every time, it is really important to let the restaurant people know. Someone blew it and didn't follow proper procedure.

We did try to give a heads up to mgmt. about the food and pathetic a/c last time we stayed. (roosterfish that wasn't fit as bait) My fault, I forgot to ask what the fish of the day was. The place is being milked and is drying up. Hanging on only by location and past reputation. Refer to reviews of Don Eddie's in San Quintin.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Hanging on only by location and past reputation

Did somebody say mama espinoza?

:lol:
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Archie  
Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Hanging on only by location and past reputation

Did somebody say mama espinoza?

:lol:

Actually, much to my surprise, the lobster burritos I had there a couple of weeks ago were outstanding. Full of fresh and tasty lobster. Our experiences of a few years back + neg. comments here have always prevented us from returning. Much has changed lately and the food/service at Mama's was superb.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:54 AM

The CRAB SOUP is also outstanding at Mama Espinoza's!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 09:02 AM

Thanks for the update. One of my most memorable times in Baja was one of my first trips in the '70's - we were camping at Playa Coyote and came up for the Pig Roast. I'll never forget it - and was one of those experiences that get you hooked on Baja.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 05:14 PM

I stayed there in nov. The wifi is pretty pathetic but I had a room nearest to the office so I got a weak signal. The rest. was great! There was tv in my room I watched all the NFL I could handle.

The bathrooms had been remodeled since the last time I was there 2015?

I would give it a c- for the price.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by chippy]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.