Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cancer treatment inquiry
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 09:41 AM
Cancer treatment inquiry

Has anyone been treated for cancer in a clinic in Baja? What was your experience like? Thank you.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 05:48 AM

I was never treated at one of these clinics but due to my work I have been to many and most were in Playas Tijuana. There was one I went to that had was located in an old home with a very large living room that had probably 60 lounge chairs with IV stands next to each one. The owner, who said he was a doctor, told me that his treatment was hooking up patients with IV's with some kind of "metals" that somehow diminished the cancers and he said it worked very well. three months later he was out of business. It was a dog and pony show and a lot of these "physicians" are just looking for a quick buck. I would suggest that if your interested in checking out these types of alternative treatments go to Hospital Oasis in Playas and talk with the staff there. They seem to be the most honest and should explain what is offered but take what they say with optimism. Generally these clinics know that potential patients have been told their cancer is terminal and treatment is expensive and percentage's of success are good. These facilities for the most part are shams and treatment will do nothing but give you false hope.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 02:19 PM

This is not in Baja but FYI, the absolute worst place to go for cancer treatment is UCSD hospital oncology department in La Jolla.

I wouldn't go there if it was the last place on Earth.

Wish you the best deportes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 02:34 PM

My father went through cancer treatments in TJ. The experience was costly and horrific for our family. Long story short, I rescued him in the middle of the night from a hotel in the bowels of TJ where his doctors left him to die. He passed three days later in a hospital stateside.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 03:20 PM

In the case of UCSD, it was the lack of humanity, the lack of bedside manners that really threw us.

The doctors are rated #1 but lemme assure you, having someone be mean when you are dealing with the reality of facing the big C is awful and unacceptable.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 03:36 PM

Lencho, my father had lung cancer that had metastasized to his brain. Stateside oncologists suggested time to spend with family as his treatment, it was that far along.

The alternative medicine doctors in TJ gave my parents false hope, gaslighted them to reject western medicine and family concern, drained their finances, and as I said, put him in a seedy hotel to die with my mom by his side.

When I got the phone call from my mom, the doctors tried to block me from them, demanding more money. I was able to get an ambulance from the states to meet me at their hotel in the middle of the night and get him out of there as the hotel staff was on the phone to alert the doctors of our departure.

So, to answer your last question, yes, he would have had better outcome in the states. He would have died in peace with his family having had closure on his end of days.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 04:17 PM

A good friend had treatment for prostate cancer in TJ, I think it was Oasis of Hope but not certain.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 05:33 PM

From what I've seen (many times) that most of the people that have chosen to go the chemo route , go through it with great difficulty and suffering only to die anyway...
After spending countless $$$ to boot !

And the Doctors are all so wishy-washy as they say things like "well every patient reacts differently"
If this c-cktail doesn't work we'll try another..

I'm of the ilk IF I'm ever diagnosed with a cancer I would definitely play the odds.

Only IF I had a GOOD chance of curing the cancer would I put myself through chemo....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 06:07 PM

If & when I have to face that awfull circumstance, rest assured my first and only option is a state of the art oncology clinic using Genetics and DNA sequences of my particular cancer to attack it at the Genetic Level

and that reminds me - don't skip your checkups -, yeah, even if its the old tube up the ass routine! be paranoid suspicious of any new growth or change in old growth, or if you feel like somethings wrong. early detection is what gives you the chance of full recovery!.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 07:26 PM

Get a good oncologist in the states. Many in Mexico will provide false hope while draining your $$.
In the states, get an oncologist you have researched. Its a lasting relationship.
I wish you well.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 10:06 PM

Sorry but I think the system in the US will drain you just the same, been there done that a couple of times. In the US the system is just smother at taking your money! Granted all doctors are " practicing medicine " by definition!
Anyone that would take someone's money in return for providing false hope is a special kind of crook! Sorry that someone did that to you and your family...
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 06:06 AM

Had great success at Scripps in San Diego. Went to great lengths to keep me here. Quotes from my primary on first visit after a year of treatment..."I thought I would never see you again"... "We all thought you wouldn't make it"... "We credit your additude with keeping you in the game".
We live priviledged lives to live in this day and age, in a blessed country, with such liberal access to what most of the world doesn't have at their doorstep.
Those who think that priveledge takes from them in abuse...go ahead and stay home so your 'they screw you' attitude doesn't leave you whinning...no one owes you anything. Prepare yourself financially or demand something for nothing (and guarenteed success at that) in your failure to account for yourself.
I think if you spend your dollars on fishing gear, homes in foreign countries, flashy cars, the best meal...you fail yourself when it comes to your health. Not the medical system at your disposal.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 08:27 AM

I recommend Edie Littlefield Sundby's book. Her battle with terminal cancer is detailed and the Camino Real is where she found strength.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I recommend Edie Littlefield Sundby's book. Her battle with terminal cancer is detailed and the Camino Real is where she found strength.

Got to meet her and here her speak...Strong, Strength, Inspiring all describe her.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 04:18 PM
Terrible input!!!

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Sorry but I think the system in the US will drain you just the same, been there done that a couple of times. In the US the system is just smother at taking your money! Granted all doctors are " practicing medicine " by definition!
Anyone that would take someone's money in return for providing false hope is a special kind of crook! Sorry that someone did that to you and your family...

Cancer treatment in the US (and the rest of the world) is making quantum leaps forward.
I had colon cancer 30 years ago, tumor the size of a grapefruit, left two feet of my colon on the op table. Put a hose clamp on it and good to go.
But, many do not survive.... my sis died from breast cancer at 56 and her son, my nephew, went to med school and has spent the last 20 years doing very advanced research at Roche/Genentch. He is adamant that it can be cured....
But the biggest weapon is our own immune system and his team is deep into immunotherapy with significant results.
Just today reading that lung cancer is much more survivable now than in the past.

Sadly, desperate people do desperate things. If I were diagnosed as terminal I might also trek down to TJ and take the apricot pit stuff (laetrile) or whatever is on the menu. You will try anything to keep going. Also, sorry to hear about rough treatment at UCSD. I sat alongside a close friend for many months of treatment at UCD med Center and they were nothing short of compassionate and caring and awesome!!! Hard to imagine working daily with folks that are under a death sentence, but they do it, with cheer and grace.

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 05:05 PM

Some ideas that may be of help.
CancerKinship.org I have no experience with them, however their website looks like a worthwhile visit for those with cancer, loved ones, after care, etc.

If your friend or loved one has cancer, consider helping with the following;
Money
Meals for them and their family during treatment
Offer child care if they have kids at home
Listen, and feel free to ask questions. Don't stop communicating!
Offer to drive them to appointments

So many things they will need. Please don't make them ask.
Difficult on whole family. Nothing easy about this journey that so many experience.

Thanks
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2019 at 06:45 PM

Sorry my input didn't meet the standard, but maybe my experience wasn't so good with my family members? I think there have been major advancements in the past 8-10 years and there are some good hospitals and doctors. I hope I have one of the good one's if I ever have the mis-fortune to need them.
On the other hand my experience with hospice has been nothing short of amazing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.