BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio southbound checkpoint-trying to put bag of marijuana in your car
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:22 PM
San Ignacio southbound checkpoint-trying to put bag of marijuana in your car

Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:27 PM

Just had a report from a woman traveling alone southbound at the San Ignacio checkpoint. The policeman claimed to have found a small bag of marijuana seeds in her purse and tried repeatedly to get her to take it in her hands. He hassled her extensively and threw her belongings around. I'll get a longer report from her tomorrow. I encountered perhaps this same policeman at the checkpoint a couple of days ago and he was very unfriendly, went through my purse while muttering 'let's see if I can find marijuana here'. He was clearly enjoying trying to intimidate me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:46 PM

Hi Juanita, is this a local cop or federal, and was he at the military stop or somewhere else?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:55 PM

Hmmm. Op has been on here for a long time. So I think we should listen up.

We went through there about 10 days ago. They made us get out of the car, which doesn't happen often. I had my friend keep a close watch on the search while I walked the dog.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 08:20 PM

I believe every word of what Juanita says.

There is one soldier there who is pure poison and I have had to deal with him two times.

The second time I wrote an email to the commandante with photos.
Buddy of mine got the same rude and arrogant attitude only a day before.
He relayed the same treatment.....

Photos won't post here

Beware......seriously

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 08:23 PM

Jeez. This is horrible.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 08:46 PM

Like I said in another thread "It is X-mas time and the Cops need more $$$ for their wife's, children, novia's and booze....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 08:58 PM

San Ignacio Checkpoint. All Complaints should go to the commandante 16/a. ZONA MILITAR.
CUARTEL GENERAL 16/a. Z.M. (SARABIA, GTO.).
01800-8311473
denuncia.16zm@mail.sedena.gob.mx
615.160.1183 - 16cine@sedena.gob.mx

I have written several complaints - they do read them and sometimes respond.

The more you write the comandante and vent less on BajaNomad, the more likely we will see positive change

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 09:18 PM

Military in camis. Local in blue.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 10:11 PM

this checkpoint is clearly the most infamous in all of baja even if half the stories are true. i am curious as to one thing though and maybe some members could give their thoughts on this...

so is all of this crap happening to nationals as well or is it just directed towards foreigners? maybe these guys just have it in for americans.
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 05:35 AM

Late November southbound, the officer in blue clothes asked me 5 or 6 times "where is the marijuana?" during my 20 minute search. He seemed to be working with the military guys to get some money. He made me empty my pockets, asked me how much money I made, what year is my truck. Looking for anything for a shakedown. Northbound a week later , I was waived through.
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 08:08 AM

I sure appreciate your responses! The northbound checkpoint is staffed by the military, and they are doing a careful and respectful job so far as I know and have experienced. The southbound checkpoint is staffed by a different group, I think they are the federal highway police. That checkpoint was reinforced and the federal presence added a couple of years ago when a lot of drug violence was occurring here. Before that, the military would walk across and mostly wave you through. We're going to report at the Delegacion (Mayor's office) here today. I think the idea of contacting the tourism office is good, too, and the military as well.
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 07:09 PM

Well, we went to the Lieutenant of the military there at the San Ignacio checkpoint and the woman who experienced the attempted marijuana plant in her car gave her report to him, with me as translator and a local friend to assist us. He listened well and appropriately and was most apologetic that such a thing had occurred. The woman giving the report was very brave to do it because the offending man, a military, was standing nearby all the time and watching. She did finally point him out. Since they had registered her and her car as she crossed the checkpoint they knew who had been on duty and acknowledged who it was. We completed the report and departed politely.

The lieutenant wanted to emphasize it is important to report such an event immediately to the supervising officer. The woman had thought of that while being hassled and asked to see 'his boss,' but he said he was the boss. I guess the only thing she could have done at the time was lock her car up and walk over to the military post on the other side, but that's a lot to ask of someone being hassled that way.

As we made the report I watched how the southbound lane was handled. A military person, dressed in camo, first searches the cars for drugs and then a federal policeman, dressed in dark blue, takes the data on his clipboard. The military look for arms and drugs and the federal police are looking for stolen cars. The offending officer in our incident was military. Possibly, the courage the woman showed will lead to change and save other visitors from such a miserable experience.

[Edited on 3-10-2020 by Juanita]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 07:15 PM

Thank you for the followup. You and your friend are brave, but this is what it will take to get the bad apples out of that basket!!
Thanks again :D
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 07:21 PM

At one of the check points going South bound 3 weeks ago they asked for my truck registration and passport. I can't say for certain, but it had to be that one.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 07:27 PM

Well, she just ruined that Military Man's X-mas and his wife, children y novia are going to disembowel him...

But seriously, you both did a great thing as I'm sure many other law abiding citizens have been seriously dramatized by that scummy ass-hat of a Military man..

[Edited on 12-13-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 08:02 PM

That took some guts!

Thank you very much for doing that.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 08:26 PM

Nice follow up, and good on both of you for taking the time and effort. I've only had good interactions, but one day it might happen?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 09:35 PM

Even though I have never been hassled at this or any other stop, I commend all of you for doing this. It takes a lot of courage to do such a thing and once again, thank you.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 09:37 PM

At a small post like SI checkpoint, grunt soldiers don’t threaten and scam travelers w/o the command knowing what is going on. Unfortunately, If the command is already aware, then complaining to the command is probably pointless...

I do like the idea of locking the vehicle and protesting loudly until the shakedown stops...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.