Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Onion Allergy
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 05:01 PM
Onion Allergy

A friend sent this to me and wanted to know if any Nomads have had to deal with it. Can anyone help?

Hey Tom,

I’m thinking about running down to Baja with my wife, perhaps a loop to Ensenada, over to San Felipe, then back up through Mexicali. But, she has an onion allergy and gets violently ill if she eats something with even a trace of onion or onion powder. If her food is cooked on a grill that just had onions on it or if the cooking utensils have a trace of onion on them she’ll get sick. Here in the U.S. restaurants are very liability conscious so it’s rarely an issue, even at Don Cucos, El Torito, and other Mexican restaurants, but we’re concerned about Baja, we don't want to be seeking medical care down there. Perhaps some of your Baja Nomad friends have had to deal with a similar allergy issue and have some advice.

Thanks,

Bill
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 05:24 PM

Bring your own food, would be the only guarantee... unless she can get some medication to counter the reaction.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 06:41 PM

I would agree with David, short of bringing your own food, even if you spoke good Spanish I don't think you could trust the food. As mentioned, if you have some kind of medication that could stop a reaction?
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 07:05 PM

https://www.mountainhouse.com/

The Biscuits and Gravy aren't half bad btw. If you have an REI near you, they usually have some good sales on Mountain House grub.

[Edited on 12-22-2019 by Beagle]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 07:48 PM

Solutions:

Rent a condo and cook for yourself.

You can probably bring your own food to a restaurant as long as others in your party order food and you explain yourself.

Better restaurants can probably cook for people with food allergies, call ahead to ask.

Bring a letter in Spanish explains your allergy, give letter to cooks.

Take extra epi pens and Benadryl.

[Edited on 12-22-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 08:03 PM

I am not allergic to onions, but really hate the taste and texture. I’ve been totally unsuccessful at avoiding onions in all my years in Baja and elsewhere in Mexico. I say “sin cebolla” and sometimes succeed in getting my salad or main dish without onions, but inevitably the salsa or guacamole come out loaded with them. I’ve tried ‘soy alergico’ with the same results. Trying to ask the kitchen not to cook on the same grill...priceless. Won’t work. Period.
The only way you can be sure to accommodate your wife’s allergy is to bring your own food and cook yourselves.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 08:20 PM

I have been sampling a lot of the dehydrated meals out there for and up coming back pack trip, and I must say some are really good. Most are high in sodium so be sure to drink a lot of water. Most are high calories as well, but that is one of the things that hikers need.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 10:47 PM

If I had an extreme food allergy, to the point where a utensil touching that food and then touching mine would make me violently ill, I sure wouldn't be eating out, anywhere. Expecting a restaurant to cater to one's particular food allergies is a pretty entitled attitude. I'd be cooking for myself, seems like a no-brainer.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Expecting a restaurant to cater to one's particular food allergies is a pretty entitled attitude.

restaurants are in the business of serving customers. most good chefs and restaurants do not think customers that have special dietary requests are showing an entitled attitude.
any chef or restaurant that refused a dietary request like food allergy would be off my list.
surabi, you are off my list :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 10:07 AM

Goat is making his list, and checking it twice!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 12:51 PM

The Goat that stole Christmas,,,,,,,

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
https://www.mountainhouse.com/

The Biscuits and Gravy aren't half bad btw. If you have an REI near you, they usually have some good sales on Mountain House grub.

[Edited on 12-22-2019 by Beagle]

Biscuits and gravy are good. One of the few MH meals I continue to buy.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I have been sampling a lot of the dehydrated meals out there for and up coming back pack trip, and I must say some are really good. Most are high in sodium so be sure to drink a lot of water. Most are high calories as well, but that is one of the things that hikers need.

What have you found that is good? I'm always looking for something for my backpacking trips.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 08:45 PM

Just tried the Cuban coconut black beans and rice from REI, it sucked! The breakfast hash is really good and would be even better in a tortilla as a burrito. Chili mack by MH and the one by backpacker pantry is good as well. The Wise company sells some at tractor supply and so far they have all been good, chili mack, pasta alfredo with chicken, and the biscuits with gravy. I take some of the small hot sauce packets with me on my trips, adds a little kick to all of the meals. Also buy the premade frozen meat balls at the store and dehydrate them then add them to top ramen to add some protean and flavor. Spam is another good camping/backpacking item to add to ramen or other meals.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Expecting a restaurant to cater to one's particular food allergies is a pretty entitled attitude.

restaurants are in the business of serving customers. most good chefs and restaurants do not think customers that have special dietary requests are showing an entitled attitude.
any chef or restaurant that refused a dietary request like food allergy would be off my list.

Yes, restaurants are in the business of serving customers, not catering to individual, life-threatening allergies. They're restaurants, not hospitals. It's one thing to ask the waiter to tell the chef to leave the tomatoes off the burger, quite another to expect a busy restaurant to ensure that nothing a customer is allergic to might have grazed their plate in the kitchen.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 10:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yes, restaurants are in the business of serving customers, not catering to individual, life-threatening allergies. They're restaurants, not hospitals. It's one thing to ask the waiter to tell the chef to leave the tomatoes off the burger, quite another to expect a busy restaurant to ensure that nothing a customer is allergic to might have grazed their plate in the kitchen.

Wasabi,
You sound like you are put off by people with food allergies. You also sound like you would make a bad restaurateur — you would make a good crumudgeon, but I am not sure who is hiring curmudgeons right now...

Woke!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2019 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Just tried the Cuban coconut black beans and rice from REI, it sucked! The breakfast hash is really good and would be even better in a tortilla as a burrito. Chili mack by MH and the one by backpacker pantry is good as well. The Wise company sells some at tractor supply and so far they have all been good, chili mack, pasta alfredo with chicken, and the biscuits with gravy. I take some of the small hot sauce packets with me on my trips, adds a little kick to all of the meals. Also buy the premade frozen meat balls at the store and dehydrate them then add them to top ramen to add some protean and flavor. Spam is another good camping/backpacking item to add to ramen or other meals.

MH Chili mac is another one I also found palatable. The MH Chicken Casserole is pretty good, comes in 3 serving size so I split it into two meals. Hot sauce packets great idea, my buddy brings them for us. Thanks for the ideas! I've seen the survivalist ads for Wise, have to give them a try. 8 more days and I can book my permit for Cottonwood Lakes on July 1, opener for golden trout season.

John
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-24-2019 at 01:16 PM

Spam is not a very healthy mish-mash of animal products..... google it.

Tins of tuna, sardines, salmon are better alternatives in a can.

I remember Spam and Klik as a picnic sandwich as a kid....lots of mustard gave it a flavour....haven't had it since.....on purpose.

Maybe it's better with onions.

But some people even like Marmite......so what do I know.:tumble:

(that's a rhetorical question....)

[Edited on 12-24-2019 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2019 at 08:22 PM

[rquote

Wasabi,
You sound like you are put off by people with food allergies. You also sound like you would make a bad restaurateur — you would make a good crumudgeon, but I am not sure who is hiring curmudgeons right now...[/rquote]

Wasabi? Have a reading comprehension problem?
No, I have nothing against people with food allergies, I'm put off by entitled people who expect others to cater to their personal issues.
I have no interest in being a restauranteur, but I know several, and no, they don't cater to life-threatening food allergies. Their insurance doesn't cover making sure a utensil hasn't touched something someone might be allergic to, in a busy restaurant kitchen.
And I already have a job :-)

[Edited on 12-25-2019 by surabi]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2019 at 03:20 AM

If I had an extreme food allergy, to the point where a utensil touching that food and then touching mine would make me violently ill, I sure wouldn't be eating out, anywhere. Expecting a restaurant to cater to one's particular food allergies is a pretty entitled attitude. I'd be cooking for myself, seems like a no-brainer.

I asked a simple question and I get a dumb chit answer from some jerk a$$.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.