Printable Version  
Author: Subject: santa rosalia cruise ship destination
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-26-2019 at 05:45 PM
santa rosalia cruise ship destination

time to spruce up the town!

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/en-2020-arribaran-6-embarcacio9ne...
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-26-2019 at 06:03 PM

Damn there goes the neighborhood.

It'll be good for the town, the vendors, cafes, etc., however...... Sta. R. has always been a town for commerce, bustle, minor tourista stuff, and all that will now change ala Cabo et al.

Time marches on if so. Glad I knew it when.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2019 at 07:25 PM

The TV show about abandoned places is what did it.

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2019 at 09:33 AM

What show?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2019 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What show?

Girls Gone Wild, Baja Spring Break edition.

Did they not hire you for color commentary?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2019 at 12:11 PM

Wouldn’t worry too much. Loreto was expecting visits from Maritime Voyages. And, surprise, surprise, word was recently received that the stops were cancelled. The new dock at the embarcation port, I believe it was to be Puerto Penasco, isn’t finished yet. Though the link above was dated 12/26. Who knows???

OOPS, UPDATE. Apparently the cruises are on, embarking at Puerto Penasco via tenders. https://patch.com/arizona/across-az/cruise-ships-launch-dec-...

[Edited on 12-27-2019 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2019 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What show?

SCI
Science channel, mysterious and abandoned places.

Es Todo Bueno
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 10:36 AM

I doubt if it will change in a big way. A chance for passengers to go to the beach, do some trinket shopping - tent vendors will spring up along the boardwalk. I was on a cruise to a port in Honduras where Yelp reviews said it was a sad little port stop with nothing to do. I went on an excursion to a small town with a street market, a church, some dancers in the church courtyard, and a small museum. It was a glimpse of typical small town life and I enjoyed it. Someone will come up with a land tour that highlights the history - maybe a stop at the prison for hand-made trinkets, someone might offer a special included lunch. I was camping at Majahual when a cruise ship docked - the small town swarmed with people for about 5 hours, then all of a sudden they were gone, the beach vendors left, the ATVs quiet, and the small village was quiet and I think I was the only tourist in town.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 04:01 PM

Is this the same ship that we have seen at Loreto? If so, we hardly noticed any crowd in town, but there were a few people having lunch in the restaurant where we were eating.

There are some small cruise ships that stop by in Agua Verde, but, according to the ladies who run the beach restaurant, the passengers do not eat at their restaurant but prefer to eat on the ships. They do however provide an economic opportunity for Alejo, from San Cosme, who takes them on mule rides. This has helped the a lot as they are very poor people.

I doubt that one small cruise ship will have as much of an impact on SR as the re-opening of the copper mine has.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 04:35 PM

So here is the official info on the Sea of Cortez cruises -

Cruise - Sea of Cortez

Click on the "Itinerary" and the "Excursions" tabs to see detailed information.

This is not really a 'small' cruise ship. The ship (Astoria) is 530 ft long and carries 550 passengers in addition to the crew.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
Is this the same ship that we have seen at Loreto?

I do not think so. The ship that you see in Loreto most likely originates in La Paz.

There is a 'small' cruise ship (40 to 50 passengers) that leaves La Paz and makes it way to Loreto on a weekly basis. The itinerary varies slightly depending on the wind and weather but, in general, the passengers snorkel and kayak in protected areas and look for whales along the way. Turns around in Loreto and returns to La Paz.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:35 AM

SR could deal with this easy, maybe an open sides bus / trolley to get tourists up the hill. We were there 2 days ago, real quiet. Parking was easy, very little traffic for SR.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 01:44 PM

I'll be looking for Mulege Al to dig out one of his goofy hats and setup a booth offering local color and postcards..
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 02:40 PM

I'd have to sell a lot of postcards, the SUV burns through 20 USD round trip.
The pacificos at El patron are cold & close by.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 03:27 PM

First thought, why would anyone pay five grand to take a bus from Phoenix to Rocky Point, then cruise to the not so touristy destination of Sta Rosalia. On the other hand, having seen the glory of the Sea of Cortez for myself, can understand. Only hope the trash and oily bilge water does not get dumped

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.