Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Where to buy furniture? TONALÁ
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2019 at 09:40 PM
Where to buy furniture? TONALÁ

My house in Los Barriles will be completed in a few weeks and I'm going to need to buy bedroom furniture. I shopped in several stores in Cabo, but everything was very contemporary and cheaply made. I'm looking for a simple, rustic, well-made pine or parota product. I have considered flying over to Guadalajara, but if there's something closer, I'd rather do that.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!

[Edited on 1-15-2020 by BajaParrothead]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2019 at 09:50 PM

Have you checked craftsmen shops in Miraflores, Santiago, or other old villages? Some local made furniture may be really swag in your new Baja shack.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2019 at 10:04 PM

Thanks David, I've never seen any there, but I'll check it out.
Surfing the internet, I found a couple in La Paz that I'll look into as well. They are Colibri and Antares.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2019 at 10:40 PM

Guadalajara and the surrounding burbs. We spent 3 days shopping and bought furniture for 5 bedroom house.

Super big and amazing old school pieces. You can get it made custom.

1/5th of the price of the US and stuff you'll never see anywhere else. They ship all over Mexico. You can buy from multiple shops and arrange for one shipper to deliver it all.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2019 at 10:42 PM

Thanks for the info JZ.
Do you recall which shops you liked?
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 06:13 AM

Guadalajara
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 07:45 AM

Artesano's - Across the road from Costco
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:40 AM

There are many furniture vendors along the free road near Rosarito if you're coming through.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:42 AM

Guadalajara

Harald Pietschmann
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:53 AM

In Cabo. https://www.facebook.com/mywaytoo.mx/

They design and build custom furniture, but have pieces in stock, also.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 09:14 AM

Thanks Mula, looks like it's worth taking a look. Not sure how I missed it in June when I was shopping in that area.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 10:10 AM

Oh the joys of furniture shopping in Baja. I can still clearly remember running all over southern Baja trying to furnish my house in July!!! Thought I was going to die, it was so damn hot.

Very limited choices as you said. Either ultra-modern or muy rustico but with time, patience and ingenuity it will come together.

There are several furniture stores in La Paz and all of them warrant a look. On Forjadoras, the road coming into La Paz you will find Antares on your right. It carries rustic pine furniture, finished an unfinished. After checking them continue on Forjadoras to 5th of Febrero and turn left toward the malecon. The first place you will see on your left is San Diego furniture. Pretty good selection. Just bought 2 recliners from them last month to replace a love seat. Directly across the street is Puerto Viejo or something like that with similar items. Continuing down 5th of Febrero you will see Ramos on your left very near the cathedral. Huge selection and 2 stories but like most, pretty modern but they are starting to broaden the scope of their offerings.

From there continue down 5th de Febrero to Abasolo. A left here will take you to some mattress stores on both sides of the street. A right turn will take you to the malecon where there is another nice store very near the El Arco hotel but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

You also mentioned Colibri which is on Revolucion or Madero, can't remember which. Definitely worth a look and I bought several things there but I'm thinking they carry more accessories like lamps and such but it has been years since I've been there so don't take my word for it.

One word of caution because you mentioned furnishing bedrooms. Mexican beds are shorter than US models. I didn't realize this and in my rush to get something to sleep on the first night after closing escrow I just had two queen size beds delivered and have been sleeping with my feet hanging off the end ever since.

Several of my neighbors have had great luck shopping at the Segundas of which there are several in Chametla on both sides of the highway going towards the aeropuereto. They find a sofa they like and then have it reupholstered and it ends up about half the price of new. I'm just not one for stomping through dusty old second hand stores and I don't have an eye to spot potential but some are very good at it so its an option. There was a great place in Todos Santos I think called Casa de Diablo or something like that. It was owned by a lady named Barbara. Sweetest lady in the world. She carried some basic pine furniture similar to Antares but she also has some of the old wormwood furniture that was really cool. She was character. I found a couple pieces I really liked but told her I didn't have enough money on me at the time. She said "no problem, you can pay me later". I said, "No, I'm leaving in 2 days and won't be back for 6 mos". Her reply. "I'm in no hurry". She had it delivered to La Paz and the truck showed up 30 minutes after I got back to the house. I went back in January and paid her. :biggrin: Unfortunately she has since sold the place and moved to the mainland.

Just try to be patient and it will come together. We decided on sort of a Mexican/tropical style combing rattan and rustico. Not an easy quest in Baja but between La Paz, San Jose del Cabo, Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos we found enough to pull it together. Some of the rattan pieces even came from the Sears store by City Club (2 more places to check) as they were carrying Pier One merchandise for a while. Buenos Suerte mi amigo!

[Edited on 12-31-2019 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 06:29 PM

Alan, thank you for the very thorough response. I will look into all of your recommendations when I go back down later next month. I am also trying to do the rattan and rustic thing as well.

My time frame for fully furnished is a bit cramped due to some scheduled rentals later this winter and spring.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide all of the details!!:bounce:

Greg
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:03 PM

Colibri is out of business - they had some cool stuff

Harald Pietschmann
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:13 PM

Thanks Harald, I'll scratch it off the list.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 11:05 AM
El Toro y Luna

Locations in Los Barriles and La Ribera.

Mexican, big furniture pieces, lighting, tile, glassware, textiles, souvenirs, sofas, chairs, dining tables, garden decor, etc., etc. Located on the highway about 1/2 block north of the barrel fountain. Similar to Atesanos (across from Cabo COSTCO).

There is sometimes a wicker furniture seller across from the barrel fountain.

Quite a few furniture and applicants stores in SJD...have to drive around a bit and some are more modern.

Try advertising for what you are looking for on BPE, or checking their business directory. There is Likely least one local wood worker doing one-off custom furniture and cabinet work. There is a lumberyard on the highway north that might have suggestions.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 07:07 PM

I second El Toto y La Luna! Tere is amazing and I bet she could work with you to get you EXACTLY what you want. She goes to the mainland, might save you a trip?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 10:49 PM

I'm familiar with El Toro, that is where I got my bathroom sinks and sconces. At the time, I didn't see the furniture that I was looking for.

Patti over at the Los Pescadores hotel just advised me that she has numerous friends that hired a "guide" in Guadalajara that drove them around to the various suppliers and makers and the guide sets up all the shipping. She hasn't heard of a single negative experience, so if I don't find anything locally from La Paz south, I'll fly over and do it that way.

Thanks to all for all of your helpful advice.

Greg
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 12:25 PM

There is a furniture store in San Jose del Cabo (in Zacatal) that has rustico. As you're headed south, past the airport, past City Club/Soriana, past an OXXO, it's on the right side as you're going up a hill. I think it's in a white building.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 03:31 PM

Thanks, the more choices the better!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.