Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Borjitas Cave Paintings
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 07:50 PM
San Borjitas Cave Paintings

I took our friends up to the San Borjitas Cave Paintings outside of Mulege. This place is sublime. I would love to just hike the canyon as far as you could go.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:26 PM

That is amazing, how did they git up there to paint them? Was the cave filled in at one time.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
That is amazing, how did they git up there to paint them? Was the cave filled in at one time.

The basic answers from archaeologists are, they stood there, or they climbed. Either the cave floor was higher (earth happens) or they used simple ladders. Or, in the case of the Ancestral Puebloans, they may have stood on the roofs of their dwellings (not applicable here).

Simple deduction.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-30-2019 at 11:06 PM

So glad you made it there, Tango!
It is very rewarding and super-impressive!
I saw it for the first time last May and I highly recommend it. No mules needed, just a moderate walk of under a mile from the parking area.
Did you just drive to the ranch and get the permit and guide there?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:30 AM

I'll ride in with you if you show up around here this season. Great ride, then a hike in.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 08:52 AM

Any ideas of the dates on those cave paintings origins? Wow. Add that to my bucket list of things to see in Baja.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 08:52 AM

David K - Thanks. We did just go to the ranch for guide and permit. If you have a capable vehicle this is the way to go. If you don't get a guide in Loreto or Mulege. We got a flat on the way back even with AT tires. Should have aired down but my compressor was broken.

MulegeAL - We are back in town. I would be up for some more 4x4 adventures. I would like to see some of the other side of Concepcion bay.

Surfhat- David K article with more info https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/painted_...

[Edited on 12-31-2019 by Three2tango]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 09:11 AM

If one wanted to get a guide in Mulege, do you have a contact? And this guide would provide all transportation?
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
If one wanted to get a guide in Mulege, do you have a contact? And this guide would provide all transportation?

Salvador seems to be the go to guy. He runs a taxi and tours and would take care of all the arrangements. I don't have his contact info but once you are in Mulege he is easy to find.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 09:40 AM

he taking tourists today...

Cave Paintings.jpg - 108kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Salvador seems to be the go to guy. He runs a taxi and tours and would take care of all the arrangements. I don't have his contact info but once you are in Mulege he is easy to find.

Check in at Las Casitas for Salvador. He has a message drop there.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 11:17 AM

Have known Salvador for many manyyears and sh is a great guide and firend
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 11:27 AM

Wilderone, your Subaru can drive to the ranch easily but yes, Salvador can get you there, too. We met Salvador at a restaurant in town. He was very accomodating and wouldn't accept a tip for his time with us. Because we didn't know when we would arrive at the ranch as we were going to the Guadalupe mission first, we just winged it. and the ranch provides the permit and guide.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 11:36 AM

Three2, sounds good to me, the high mountains can wait, unless you want water crossing hero shots.

Do you remember where I live?

If not, will pm addy.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 06:29 PM
So High

I read that someone with an academic interest in cave art has fashioned a 12-foot paintbrush by fraying the ends of dried cane, and it works well enough to have produced at least some of the Baja paintings.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 06:47 PM

That is how the paintings are refreshed annually for the tourists.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:26 PM

MulegeAL, thanks, and I will take you up on your offer this year. There will only be three of us this year, compared to eight last year. We are planning a night or two in Mulege this year, so I'll let you know as we get closer. Do you use Whatapp?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
That is how the paintings are refreshed annually for the tourists.

:lol::lol::lol:

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 10:35 AM

MulegeAL, thanks, and I will take you up on your offer this year. There will only be three of us this year, compared to eight last year. We are planning a night or two in Mulege this year, so I'll let you know as we get closer. Do you use Whatapp?

Not a whatapper, perdone.
But can comm here or email or text. Just U2U me something that works.

Did ride this morning in town, really wet! Didn't stop the locals from party to 9AM. Baja dogs don't chase bikes when it's wet.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 01:52 PM

A kid on a motorcycle crashed in a rocky part of the arroyo on the way back. We helped clean and bandage him up but guessing he would need some stitches. I will stick with my Jeep.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.