Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMM- yet another version of the old story
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-2-2020 at 05:57 PM
FMM- yet another version of the old story

Couple days before Christmas we walked into the nice office at SY, presented our passports, and once again the guy at the desk looked at Teresa and her US citizen passport and shook his head. "Born in Mexico. You are a Mexican citizen and don't need one" was the basic translation.

Happened exactly the same way, different officer, in September.

I handed over my expired FMM from September that I had failed to return ( per the assumed strict laws) and he gave it a quick glance and tossed it aside. I smiled and said, "We are supposed to return those" and he just kept on handing out forms. I suspect it ended up in the round file under his counter.

Interestingly, this was the first time that I remember seeing them actually scan my passport, as they always do on the US side returning.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2020 at 07:37 PM

Is your Teresa not a dual citizen? As a multi national, I enter/exit US as American and exit/enter Mexico as a Mexican.

I know that when we went for our citizenship, they calculated to the day how many days we had been out of the country.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 12:46 AM

Dick, just for anyone's interest; they made it pretty clear a few years ago now that the 180 day land FMM does NOT need to be returned. In just the past year, the free, 7-day FMM was added to the "do not return" category. I guess that saves them from emptying their trash can as often? :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 07:31 AM

Whenever I get my FMM in Nogales, they have scanned my passport for at least 4-5 years. Maybe longer.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 07:43 AM

Rumor on the street says the price is going up. Got one last week (TJ, SY), $500 pesos. Great english speaking guy who filled it out for me in about 30 seconds. He said he heard the price will be $600 or maybe $650 soon! That`s pesos of course.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 08:51 AM

Well, first of all, the running commentary here on Nomad has been that every US citizen must have an FMM.

Teresa is a naturalized US citizen, about 30 years worth now.
She was born in Jalisco, never renounced formally
Therefore, she is also, still a Mexican citizen
However, we have never seen the need to trudge up to the consul in Sacramento and get that formalized.
So, following the assumed rules, we always present the US passport, and await the next step
Up until this September they always had her fill one out
And, flying to Cabo last year it was automatic, "Fill it out!"

So, my frustration, it is a mixed message and never consistent.

And, no, never seen them scan my passport at the drive-in border in the past, that was a first, maybe I just was not paying close attention.

Quien sabe??

[Edited on 1-3-2020 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 10:58 AM

Enjoy the fact that Mexicans (by birth) living in the U.S., no matter what country they are a citizen of, don't need an FMM. Yes, she and every U.S. citizen should have a U.S. passport to help the return process at the border and (of course) to get an FMM if they are not of Mexican birth.

Like Hook, the INM people have scanned my passport when I get an FMM, for a few years now. The one time I returned to INM (when leaving Mexico to turn in a 7-day FMM), they scanned it again (at Tecate).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Teresa is a naturalized US citizen, about 30 years worth now.
She was born in Jalisco, never renounced formally
Therefore, she is also, still a Mexican citizen...

...Up until this September they always had her fill one out
And, flying to Cabo last year it was automatic, "Fill it out!"

So, my frustration, it is a mixed message and never consistent.

Main source of inconsistency is the Mexican manner of enforcing the law :)... Not to say that their laws are always written with sufficient degree of clarity.

Walking into SY/El Chap with a group of Mexicans from an hourly bus. Mexicana presents her US passport and is told to fill FMM. She: "I am Mexicana, was born in Mexico". Officer: "But you are using US passport now".

Makes sense. You need a Mexican ID to be processed like a Mexican.

In airports this rule is enforced more strictly. They don't want to lose the job, there is more paper trail, more potential risks. Probably more cameras too.

[Edited on 1-4-2020 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Dick, just for anyone's interest; they made it pretty clear a few years ago now that the 180 day land FMM does NOT need to be returned. In just the past year, the free, 7-day FMM was added to the "do not return" category. I guess that saves them from emptying their trash can as often? :biggrin:

Who is “they?”
How did they “made it pretty clear?”

Dk, you collect a few anecdotes, and spin your yarn as facts or laws of the land.
... me thinks the Mexican immigration system at land xings reluctantly tolerates non-compliance, but does in fact desire compliance, and is slowly changing he system so y’all comply. Resistance is futile. You will (eventually) comply.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 11:32 PM

"They" are the INM officers at the border.
"...pretty clear" is saying what the rules were when I asked or what they said.

I deal in facts as I have found them.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 10:22 AM

As posted, there no consistent 'facts' regarding Mex Imm,
it's up to the Imm Officer you are dealing at time of crossing.
I recently crossed Mexicalli West, had a preprinted 7 day free
fmm, was told it needed to be returned upon exit. Does it
matter? Don't think so, but I did. There are no across the
board uniformally applied Mex Imm regs

[Edited on 1-4-2020 by sancho]

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 01:52 PM

Baja dances to the beat of a different drum (meaning mainland Mexico).

Mainland Mexico, entry by land. If you get your FMM there, not only are you required to return your FMM and have your passport stamped, they are (or some) are requiring you to show your bank receipt for payment of FMM.

Source: https://advrider.com/f/threads/is-mexico-safe.546927/page-21...

Post # 42693, 4 and 5

So, I'm thinking that if you were to get your FMM at a mainland Mexico INM, and travel onto Baja and exit Baja into the USA thinking you don't have to return it, there may be some issues next time you enter Mexico mainland
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 11:27 PM

I stopped in a week ago to get an FMM at Mexicali West and the guy told me they were going up soon to pay for the salary increase of the new administration. He also told me I should just get residency because it will be way cheaper in the long run. Living here now I obviously will just haven't gotten around to it yet. He did scan my passport too.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 01:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

Mainland Mexico, entry by land. If you get your FMM there, not only are you required to return your FMM and have your passport stamped, they are (or some) are requiring you to show your bank receipt for payment of FMM.

Post # 42693, 4 and 5

So, I'm thinking that if you were to get your FMM at a mainland Mexico INM, and travel onto Baja and exit Baja into the USA thinking you don't have to return it, there may be some issues next time you enter Mexico mainland

Quite true. INM agents on the mainland mostly seem to be all playing by the same rules, are following official immigration policies, and it's pretty consistent. Baja agents seem to just make it up however they want to and those folks who are used to the Baja way may not realize that it doesn't work like that in the rest of Mexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 09:53 AM

Baja is almost an island and the far off frontier to officials in Mexico City. A reason (no doubt) it has been lacking in upgrades for decades. There is a movement for an independent Republic of Baja California that comes from this attitude by Mexico City.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Baja is almost an island and the far off frontier to officials in Mexico City. A reason (no doubt) it has been lacking in upgrades for decades. There is a movement for an independent Republic of Baja California that comes from this attitude by Mexico City.

I would like to know more about this movement. Offices, web site, Facebook group? Tell us more about this. [Sources of your information]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 08:58 AM

I also would like your source as I would like to read more about this movement.

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 09:21 AM

Good morning!
The Republic of Baja California popularity?
I thought this was common knowledge...
Here are at least three sites with a combined total of about 147,000 likes...

https://www.facebook.com/nuevarepublicadebajacalifornia/

https://www.facebook.com/bajaindependiente/

https://www.facebook.com/SeparatismoBajacaliforniano/

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 12:45 PM

Post # 42693, 4 and 5

Not true, with regards to the mainland at Nogales, in my experience.

I tried to return one once about 7-8 years ago, and was told it was not necessary. Since then, I have never done it and have suffered no repercussions, when applying for my next one.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Post # 42693, 4 and 5

Not true, with regards to the mainland at Nogales, in my experience.

I tried to return one once about 7-8 years ago, and was told it was not necessary. Since then, I have never done it and have suffered no repercussions, when applying for my next one.

Ha!! The Mexican beat goes on! (Sorry Sonny and Cher...) Just when I thought I had it figured out....

About 20 ish years ago, a buddy of mine had a scam pulled on him at KM 21 (south of Nogales); the INM agent couldn't find proof that the one returned their FMM last time round. $20 gift and wow, it suddenly appeared in their computer. Ever since then, I insist INM accepts my returned FMM and ensure my passport is stamped with the "S" (Salida) right below the "E" (Entrada) stamp, with a correct and legible date.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.