Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Punta San Francisquito
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:00 PM

Thank you, rzitren.
I have always been curious. Do you still have your house?
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rzitren  
Myself and and a friend built the the white house with the red tile roof in 1983. We had a contractor, Roberto Curiel, out of Tijuana help us. He had been convinced by the owners of the property that if he built a model home he would have a number of Americans want houses. There were plans for 500 homes with a golf course and taxi ways from the runways to the homes. Obviously that never happened.

The old Rock house was built by the people that built the cabanas and was rented on and off for years.

The house at the far south end of the beach is actually not part of the resort but was built by a man out of Jamul, CA who sold generators and other survival products.

The house on the hill behind it was built for one of the property owners right after the cabanas were built.

The house on the hill to the north was built for the property owner, who was Genaro's father, from Tijuana right after ours was built, around 1984 and was used on and off for years by him and his family and friends.

2nd wife was there around that time I think...she was flown in with someone to build a home. A couple of free divers came in and one of them ended up drowning. They put the body in a jeep and transported it over to GN (?). She was pretty freaked out doing the night drive with a body in the back. Does that ring any bells?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 03:03 PM

Myself and and a friend built the the white house with the red tile roof in 1983. We had a contractor, Roberto Curiel, out of Tijuana help us. He had been convinced by the owners of the property that if he built a model home he would have a number of Americans want houses. There were plans for 500 homes with a golf course and taxi ways from the runways to the homes. Obviously that never happened.

The old Rock house was built by the people that built the cabanas and was rented on and off for years.

The house at the far south end of the beach is actually not part of the resort but was built by a man out of Jamul, CA who sold generators and other survival products.

The house on the hill behind it was built for one of the property owners right after the cabanas were built.

The house on the hill to the north was built for the property owner, who was Genaro's father, from Tijuana right after ours was built, around 1984 and was used on and off for years by him and his family and friends.

You must know Roger and Sue....unless they came after you.

Hardy built the house at the far south end. He passed a few years ago and now 3 partners own it.

Howard was the last to live in the rock house and has since passed as well...

The "resort" has slowly gone downhill slowly ever since Chary and Javier moved on.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 05:58 PM

Yes, Roger and Sue were our partners in the house. We were forced out when the property was sold. We had a great time there but times have changed. Worked out well for us.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 06:05 PM

Yes, Roger and Sue were our partners in the house. We were forced out when the property was sold. We had a great time there but times have changed. Worked out well for us.

Do you have any old pics? I'm sure folks would love to see them.

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 07:45 PM

I will try to scan them next week and post them. I may need help in that department. We kept photo journals from the beginning.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:28 AM

Late 90s we would ride in knowing when we got there Chary would take care of us. The menu was asada, lobster, scallops, shrimp, catch of the day... the beers were plenty and cold.. the beds clean and the showers hot.
Around 2000 on a "no wimps trail" run, 6 of us pulled in to find the resort packed... 8 vehicles and 3 planes were there, cabanas full. Chary had workers bring 6 cots with beding and set them up in the bar. Same type of menu... and beers all night!

Year or so later was when I first met Genaro at the resort. 2 of us "veterans" brought 3 newbies down. We had been talking up this SF place to them for a month! Place was still nice.. but the menu was gone! It was shreaded beef... or yellowtail. there was still a fair amount of people staying there... but it wasn't the same. Genaro sat in the kitchen and watched us drink beers.... he would periodically walk over and inspect the "check it yourself" beer clipboard, to make sure we weren't ripping him off.

It wasn't long after a couple of us made another trip there... Chary actually asked us to "blast" Genaro on the internet.

Its still such a beautiful place.... Now we bring our own beer and food, we pay Juan to cook for us.... then we go shower and sleep at Betos.

Juans a nice enough guy.. I could see how he could be a little intimidating to a first time visitor (especially if you brought wife and kids). Juan drinks a lot... and doesn't start up much conversation... if you engage him.. he will show you what hes working on and talk it up. It just like he doesn't care if you stay there or move on.

The place has an erie feel to it now.... broken boats and cars everywhere...lines of plywood shacks with bed on the floor... trash and debris, all of this 100 feet away from your dream view cabana... as long as your looking east.

Oh well...……….
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Late 90s we would ride in knowing when we got there Chary would take care of us. The menu was asada, lobster, scallops, shrimp, catch of the day... the beers were plenty and cold.. the beds clean and the showers hot.
Around 2000 on a "no wimps trail" run, 6 of us pulled in to find the resort packed... 8 vehicles and 3 planes were there, cabanas full. Chary had workers bring 6 cots with beding and set them up in the bar. Same type of menu... and beers all night!

Year or so later was when I first met Genaro at the resort. 2 of us "veterans" brought 3 newbies down. We had been talking up this SF place to them for a month! Place was still nice.. but the menu was gone! It was shreaded beef... or yellowtail. there was still a fair amount of people staying there... but it wasn't the same. Genaro sat in the kitchen and watched us drink beers.... he would periodically walk over and inspect the "check it yourself" beer clipboard, to make sure we weren't ripping him off.

It wasn't long after a couple of us made another trip there... Chary actually asked us to "blast" Genaro on the internet.

Its still such a beautiful place.... Now we bring our own beer and food, we pay Juan to cook for us.... then we go shower and sleep at Betos.

Juans a nice enough guy.. I could see how he could be a little intimidating to a first time visitor (especially if you brought wife and kids). Juan drinks a lot... and doesn't start up much conversation... if you engage him.. he will show you what hes working on and talk it up. It just like he doesn't care if you stay there or move on.

The place has an erie feel to it now.... broken boats and cars everywhere...lines of plywood shacks with bed on the floor... trash and debris, all of this 100 feet away from your dream view cabana... as long as your looking east.

Oh well...……….

We were there last year. Sad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 11:04 AM

I was there on New Years 2017... looked pretty bad (as described above). I really was hoping to read that fresh blood and new life would have been injected into this stunning location. Three years later, sounds pretty dismal still.

If they [re]build it, will they come?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 11:35 AM

there was talk about Malcolm building an offroad type resort in the gonzaga area.......how perfect would PSF be? course you'd have to convince senor slim!
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:32 PM

Bit of history... Was flying down to Mulege, then up to PSFO, then home... On 122.9 and a twin ( Los medicos Volodares )was conversing with a single ( engine ) and twin was watching fuel leaking out of the right gas cap enroute to Ensenada.... Beto’s wife had hitched a ride on the twin... Twin crashed at Ensenada and my friend Milt had to identify the bodies ... Didn’t find out until we got to PSFO.... Was leaking fuel part of the reason, I don’t know.....
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
Bit of history... Was flying down to Mulege, then up to PSFO, then home... On 122.9 and a twin ( Los medicos Volodares )was conversing with a single ( engine ) and twin was watching fuel leaking out of the right gas cap enroute to Ensenada.... Beto’s wife had hitched a ride on the twin... Twin crashed at Ensenada and my friend Milt had to identify the bodies ... Didn’t find out until we got to PSFO.... Was leaking fuel part of the reason, I don’t know.....

Sad to hear. What year was that?
rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 05:22 PM

I had heard that the pilot was concerned that his landing gear was not down and locked. He was making passes at the Ensenada airport so his friends could check the gear. I was told he got too slow and stalled the plane as he turned downwind. Debra had asked for a ride for herself and her daughter but he only had one seat available.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sparetimewanted  
Any Nomads live in PSF? I am planning a quick kayak trip for later in the Spring and am considering a trip from BOLA, and would like to ask a few questions. Please PM if willing to share some info. Muchas gracias y Feliz Anomaly's Nuevo!

Rick

You will likely get fresh water there if this is what you want. Not much else. If you're planning continuing to El Barril after PSF, and are not running out of water, it is not worth paddling the long cove in, and then out, unnecessarily adding good one hour of paddling to your route. There are 2 adjacent coves without road access just before the point separating it from the PSF bay. I think the first cove (coming from North) was where I camped.

(PS: love the suggestion "...close the gate after you pass", Considering that the guy is in a kayak).

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

(PS: love the suggestion "...close the gate after you pass", Considering that the guy is in a kayak).

LOL, right?
It was the caption attached to the photo of the gate, on the road, for those who drive there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 08:54 PM

Interesting. The guy asks a question and gets 3 pages of comments and he has never logged on again after posting the question. Nor has he read the U2U that I send him with some first hand kayaking experience at SF
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 09:04 PM

O'well, glad he asked because it started a good topic!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Interesting. The guy asks a question and gets 3 pages of comments and he has never logged on again after posting the question. Nor has he read the U2U that I send him with some first hand kayaking experience at SF

It started one of the more interesting recent threads.

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 11:46 AM

rzitren.... Was at PSFO one time when a good chubasco hit at night; we all ran to our airplanes to tie them down. A C210 fired up & taxied to a tiedown site; might that have been you?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

maybe he is away having fun on a kayak trip

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.