Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Testing Yamaha yxz1000r ss se
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 08:02 AM
Testing Yamaha yxz1000r ss se

I picked up the 2019 sxs week ago . So far very Happy and all my fears unfounded. Was worried that it has no low range in 4x4. It has 5 speed trans and paddle shifter and auto smart clutch. That was deal breaker for me not to buy Razor or can Am. As I don't like a rubber belt for drive line. I was also worried that the yxz would have a mind of it own shifting. Also since it has a top speed of 80 mph. It would not work at slow trail speed. Another thing of concern it has 3 cylinder engine V. All the others having. 2 cylinder engine. With yxz 2016 to 2018 built more as a racer little bottom end. Needing to rev it's brains out.. All my fears unfounded on 2019 with everything changed on this model. Redline is 10,500 it has more bottom end that I would ever need. From 1 mph to 35 mph you have shifted all five years. Are at 3500 to 4000 rpm with bottom end like a tractor. Trail riding in tight abandoned two tracking hill climbing. It rarely needs 4x4 or diff lock it has frt and rear diff locks. Going at 4 or 5 mph can easy use second gear so no low range not a problem. It is so over powered that no need for low range. The lady is already driving it enjoying it. Plans are for aluminum roof glass windshield. Roof rack spare tire mount. I will never be a 4 wheeler guy over dirt bikes. This toy adds to fun with other in town having them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 08:08 AM

Photos (send me to post)??
I presume it is a side by side?

Let me search the Internet and see what it is, as it sounds great! >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHOf0f5-eTI

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 08:09 AM

All the mods I mentioned I will Fab myself as all after market parts super expensive. Also store bought mods are not the way I want them. No mods to susp. or engine as does what I need stock
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 04:05 PM

do you think the "roll cage" is sufficient? I've seen several sXs with the cage crushed (not the yamaha)

I just assume when I get one I'm going to have to fab up or buy and install a much more substantial cage ( I build custom cages in all of my racecars - so pretty overprotective about it)
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 06:18 PM

None of the SXS stock cage is good for rolling over. They make chrome molly cages right in my small town . Score approved on million dollar trucks. It is very inexpensive to have it done here. I don't race it only trail ride. Another way to look at it don't drive like a Idiot. because if you do the cage wont save you anyway;) Still your correct drive safe with a good made cage. The YXZ im sure cage just as bad as the rest.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 06:40 PM

SXS's are so expensive only fat cats can afford em

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 07:07 PM

16,900 with 30 miles move over fat dog. The skinny dog moving in.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 09:00 PM

Might have to leave the bike home next year and bring the SXS for a visit! I have the Polaris 1000 rock and trail addition and love it, amazing what these things will do. You are going to love running around in it!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 09:16 PM

So far I do like it being your sxs and dirt bike . Also carry a pick axe on sxs . Some routes need little help.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:12 AM

del mar, that cat looks like it ate a small dog or a fat rat!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:54 AM

Adv what is your take on 2 seat v 4 seat. I was told 4 seat long WB better . For woops wide open runs 2 seat better trail machine. Shorter WB won't get hung up belly pan. It was a deal breaker for me to not but yxz as only two seater. After talking to large club Razors from Utah. They said for my use of trail and exploring rig . Get 2 seat in middle March 6 of us will do 5 to 6 day trip . Many razor 1000s and my yxz will see if my lady lasts longer then me:). My work cut out for me before trip . As I said glass windshield roof and rack on top. Spare tire and Fab swing away mount. Side mirrors
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:57 AM

DK I will send you pictures thank you for offer. As posting pictures here from my cl phone. Still a problem
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
DK I will send you pictures thank you for offer. As posting pictures here from my cl phone. Still a problem

Sounds good, Larry.
PS That looks like a fun vehicle... I would enjoy doing a run in one!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 11:03 AM

David next Baja trip room for you . Take off on sxs run have abandoned routes. That are too narrow for 4x4 truck but doable in sxs. Not on any of your maps come and see. The real Baja history old roads. I have never seen tire track but my own.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:33 PM
Larry's Photos

Tobi with dog, following Anayelis (who is in the new sxs).

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 02:16 PM

thank you David . Im joining friends in March for 5 night trip SXSs. Any want to go will hotel it every night. So far 8 to 10 Razors Two YXZs I don't know if small 4X4 truck could make it. I will find if anybody interested I know more routes then leader so If some of the way he lets me go different way south. Im sure small 4x4 could make it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 02:33 PM

Larry, good to see you out having fun! I like the 4 seat for the room and ability to take some camping gear and extra stuff if you don't have people in the back.The 4 seat seems a little smoother in the fast stuff but the 2 seat will fit tighter trails and corners without a lot of backing up.
I've only had two seater and have been happy. My rock and trail edition only came in a two seat, so that it's what I have. I'll be down in March on the bike, so I won't have the SXS, but next year it looks like I will be retired and have a lot of time.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 07:18 PM

Good to hear same info on 2seat V 4 seat. We do more tight stuff then open running. After I get roof done will build rack on top. Make it easy to remove as this big trip. Will take work to get this wheeler ready they all have race radios. I was given one so find a place to install it. Same deal yank it out after ride.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 07:46 PM

Sounds like a good plan, I run the rugged radio. We all just have the handheld and they work fine. I have my spare mounted just below the roof line in the back so I can still just see under it.
Air compressor and a bunch of plugs, spare valve stims will take care of most flats. I always have a couple of ball joints and a tie rod ends, even though I've never needed them. I take a spare belt but you will ne a couple of u-joints. I always over maintain my rigs because I hate working on my stuff when I'm out having fun. You will be surprised how well these hold up. The rest is just about having fun.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 09:37 AM

Those things look fun and I am sure your lady would appreciate a windshield. Can it carry an ice chest? I guess I need to get one eventually but looking at a new wr450 right now and it's too expensive.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.