Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 4 hours to cross at mexicali west yesterday
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 01:51 PM
4 hours to cross at mexicali west yesterday

Got there at 12:15 pm, not sure why everyone in Mexicali decided that was the exact time to cross - but i waited in line for 4 hours. To make matters worse, once I finally got to dividing into the lanes for specific agents - i unfortunately ended up in the only Cars AND motorcycle lane. meaning every minute or 2 another bike showed up , cut to the front of the line- no cars were getting through. Eventually some good Samaritan let me switch lines. The interaction with the agent took all of 15 seconds and I was on my way - what a mess!

Don't know if I'm just unlucky or what, last time i crossed at Mexicali east - at 10 am on a sunday April last year - that took 2 hrs 45 minutes. last 2 times i tried San Ysidro It took 2.5 hours and 1:45 hours respectively. those were especially maddening because they had less than 1/2 of the lanes open.

sentri would be great , but those crossings are with 3 different vehicles, with different people each time , or pulling a trailer. Global Entry you don't need to list a vehicle - right? and you use the sentri line ? (which was over 45 minutes yesterday for sentri.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 02:16 PM

With Global Entry you still have to list vehicles on your Trusted Traveler account
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 02:44 PM

We crossed at Calexico East about 1pm. I was kinda p!ssed it took us 15 mins in the Sentri lane.

Couldn't imagine not having Global Entry. Also, going South always cross at the West, going North, always cross at the East.

[Edited on 1-4-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 05:45 PM

I crossed at Mexicali west, northbound, on a Tuesday about 2 weeks ago. Just under an hour, starting at 230 pm.

Friday is not the best day to head north
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 10:12 PM

Crossed at Mexicali east 11:00 am Saturday with GE , 10 minutes

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by freediverbrian]
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:50 AM

Crossed on Friday 0830. Mexicali West. Had friends with us, so no Sentri lane. Took 90 min. There is a "medical lane " opens 9am to 9pm,(might be 8-8?) and allows traffic to go to nearly the front of the line. It feeds into the #2 lane. The #1 lane moved almost twice as fast.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 05:08 PM

yeah, what exactly is the medical lane anyway? as far as I could tell, it just allowed those "smart enough" to use it a way to cut in front of a couple of miles of line-up.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
yeah, what exactly is the medical lane anyway? as far as I could tell, it just allowed those "smart enough" to use it a way to cut in front of a couple of miles of line-up.

A Mexican national couple I know who live in So Cal told me one time when they want to go to TJ for tacos, they stop into a docs office, pay him 10 or 20 dollars and get a note saying they were there and to the front of the line they go. Never done it myself. YMMV

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 06:08 AM

Does anyone have recent knowledge of the status of the Mexicali West construction? The Sentri lanes are open?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 06:54 AM

is OPEN staring at 4am to midnight.
There is a narrow lane to the left to get into it. Some signs to guide you.
No idea when construction will be finished.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 09:51 AM

As you are driving west along the border fence, only way to get into line at this time, the right two lanes are all traffic, the third lane from the right is Sentri and the far left lane is local traffic. The first sign you will see on the third lane from the right is Medical Lane, that is where you want to be.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2020 at 05:42 AM

A month ago, when we went north via san Ysidro, it took us 15 minutes on a Thursday. It was UNREAL. Not only that, but the agent never even looked at our passport cards. Have a nice day, folks is what he said.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 12:01 AM

3 hrs wait at Tecate Northbound on Sun March 1. After the first hill, i wised up and dropped the truck into 4lo to crawl up the hills, but after 3hrs my knee was killing me from the constant in and out on the clutch. I've got to learn to plan my trips so that i cross back North midweek.

I like to explore remote dirt tracks and beaches.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 12:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
3 hrs wait at Tecate Northbound on Sun March 1. After the first hill, i wised up and dropped the truck into 4lo to crawl up the hills, but after 3hrs my knee was killing me from the constant in and out on the clutch. I've got to learn to plan my trips so that i cross back North midweek.

Get Gobal Entry. Cross at Otay Mesa on a holiday weekend in 15mins. Avoid driving an hour out of the way.

Why ppl don't do this is mind boggling.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Get Gobal Entry. Cross at Otay Mesa on a holiday weekend in 15mins. Avoid driving an hour out of the way.

well one issue is how long it is taking to get global entry!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 09:44 AM

I crossed south about a week ago on a Friday evening about 7 thru Mexicali east and the line going north was about 10 cars in the all traffic lanes. I was in a longer line going south but it was pretty quick.

On a different note, the new Sentri lanes are operational now at Mexicali West so the approach is seemingly straight up 5 now. Looked like the all traffic lanes remained the same along the border fence.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

well one issue is how long it is taking to get global entry!

If you never apply you will never get it, just apply and when you get it all will be good. That argument is about as valid as DK's to not get it as he only goes a few times a year.

Besides, someone on here a week or so ago had conditional approval in something insane like the next day.

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by Bajazly]

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 10:00 AM

I applied for my GE in October, right before my Sentri was due to expire, and I'm still waiting for my conditional approval.

I've heard that it's taking up to a year for it now.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 10:17 AM

On Friday (March 6) I crossed north at Mexicali west at about 9am.
I intended to cross at the east, but missed the correct turn.

The actual US entry point has moved since my last crossing there, so I was fooled into thinking the line along the fence was not too bad. After a half hour in line, I was at the old crossing point, and it took another half hour to get through the new improved facility.

They did not have a ready lane there, but the agent told me that there is one at Mexicali East, and my passport card was a good enough ID to use it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 10:26 AM

Some of us that live 500 miles from the border and 125 miles from SFO don't have the luxury of just "make and appointment and get your GE/Sentri"
I had planned to try and get it on my return from an Asia trip next month...… so much for that plan.

So, we just grit our teeth and wait it on the line.

Sunday, March 1 we returned mid-afternoon (I had obligations that day through to about 2 p.m. and could not get an earlier start from Guadalupe)
Longest line I ever saw at Tecate
Hop on the Cuota and head for Otay Ready Lane- backed up solid and stopped for two miles
On past the airport to SY and only 2 hours to cross.

If I had an easier way to get GE then life would be much simpler.
But hearing your endless mantra "Just get GE/Sentri" does not help!!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.