Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick road trip report south on 5 north on 1
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 03:58 PM
Quick road trip report south on 5 north on 1

So we left on Dec 26th for 10 days in Baja.

Left at 6 am from Encinitas and took 8 to Mexicali it was a mess 6+ inches of snow with many stuck cars. The pathfinder was awesome in the snow and handled it no problem had to off road a bit to get around several stuck rigs. Got through and as we came do the hill the CHP closed 8 we were told until 2 or so that afternoon.

Got to the border parked just before the crossing at the immigration building, went in got out visas stamped and were on our way and through the border in about 10 minutes for 6 of us. Super quick easy and fast. A couple of us paid there and a couple had prepaid from Discover Baja it did not make much of a time difference other than filling on the visa in person

This is the first time in 30 years of driving in Baja where it rained on us the entire drive, crazy. Rain was hard at times and always steady.

5 was in great shape. South of San Felipe much of the road has a new top and is nice and smooth. The long spots of construction and detours north of Puertocitos are much less and there is a lot of new pavement. North of Gonzaga many of the bridge washouts have been repaired and just a few remain.

South of Gonzaga and over to the 1 was incredible. Over the last few years it would take us on average 1:10-1:20 minutes to cross this 22 mile section of road. This year it took us 20 minutes. Almost all is paved, and regular speed travel was no problem. There is just a 1 mile section of hard packed (smoothish) dirt road left to pave. I set the odometer when it started and it was just about exactly a mile when it ended.

South from the turn off at 1 was smooth and mostly great shape all the way to Punta Chivato.

***be aware south of GN we saw Federales using radar both coming and going. On the way north a red SUV went flying by me and 10 minutes later he was pulled over on the side of the road. The cops were literally out of their cars and pointing to drivers that were speeding to pull over.

North on Jan 4 road was in good shape did have about a 30 minute road work delay about 20 miles south of Punta Prieta and we had about 15 minute delay at the big construction south of Ensenada.

All checkpoints were courteous and I would even say most were friendly. We only had to gat out of the car at one and that was the last checkpoint south of Ensenada. No issues at all.

Traffic was pretty light and today 1/4, we crossed at Tecate in 31 minutes. Got in line at 11:27am.

Stayed at Terra Sal on the way south. I like the hotel but was not happy the the AC units are only AC and no heat it was cold and no blankets on the beds just a sheet and the top very thin decorative bed comforter. Great hotel new, clean and allow dogs but the blankets was weird. We had blankets in our car so made it work. Ate at Malarimmo and had a great dinner.

Stayed at Jardines on the way north and everything was great. We love the restaurant and the meal last night did not disappoint. Although they did not have crab last night which was a bummer but the bacon wrapped shrimp and Melanesia Nortena was awesome.

All in all a fantastic trip and best driving condition even with the rain we have had in years. There was no running water on the road which was a surprise.

Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 03:25 PM

Thanks for the update. That's the kind of news I like. I'm leaving in 3 weeks. Last Feb. it was "never again on 5". Unless some disaster hits between now and the end of the month I'm really going to appreciate the new conditions.

Ron
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 03:54 PM

Thanks for the update, I hope to be on that road about the same time as Ron. Baja is sounding pretty good to me, I am in Anchorage right now, and it was -10 F this morning!

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 12:03 AM

I’m with you guys after last year I was in the never again crowd but I’m glad I changed my mind.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 11:46 PM

Thanks for the trip report and road updates.

It sounds like there are no checkpoints on Hwy 5- is that correct?
Or just not mentioned?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 11:56 PM

I have not driven 5 yet this year, but there should be two check points that I know of. There is the one just south of the junction with highway three, and another just north of Gonzaga Bay.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have not driven 5 yet this year, but there should be two check points that I know of. There is the one just south of the junction with highway three, and another just north of Gonzaga Bay.

Yes, both operational as of a few days ago.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 07:49 AM

And both those checkpoints are non events. No delays and no inspections.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Checkpoint by Hwy. 3 jcn.: Km. 141.5
Checkpoint at Gonzaga Bay: Km. 145

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 09:15 AM
Checkpoints

Thanks for the replies. Just considering my travel options, and wanted to factor in possible checkpoint waits/inspections on Hwy 1 vs. Hwy 5/1 as well as traffic

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:48 AM

OK, now I'm confused, nothing new there.

There's more than 3 1/2 km between the intersection of 3 and Gonzaga Bay. Aren't the km numbers continuous from the border South?

Ron
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ron in BC  
OK, now I'm confused, nothing new there.

There's more than 3 1/2 km between the intersection of 3 and Gonzaga Bay. Aren't the km numbers continuous from the border South?

Ron

Oh no, they reset to zero at a point 10 kms south of San Felipe (where you turn off the airport road).

Also Km. 0 Mexicali is not at the border, but at the fork with Hwy. 2, about 5 miles south of the border.

Edit: Ron, see my maps as they have the kilometer points along the way...
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

[Edited on 1-8-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 11:03 AM

Thanks David, I'd forgotten about the restart of the km. markers South of S.F.

Ron

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.