Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hwy1 South
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 03:07 PM
Hwy1 South

I'm heading down from Breck, Colorado the end of January. This will be my fifth trip driving, since 2005. Usually do Vegas, Ensenada, Guerrero Negro, Loreto, San Jose.

Haven't had a ton of problems except for last year. The checkpoint at San Ignacio was where the big Sergeant got me for a couple of grand. Got us behind the vehicle distracted and he found the stash inside a pocket, inside a pocket. Bout $2000 US and a couple of thousand in pesos. My fault, I know better.

Just be aware. I hope he's not there this year. Maybe get some pictures of him this time and post them.

If anybodies interested will post the road conditions on the way down.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 05:44 PM

Why in the world would you have that much cash?:?:
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 06:51 PM

Heck, I always carry about $2,000 whatever Country I go to.

It's an insurance policy that would pretty much make any problem go away.....

Only difference is that I always carry it on me in a belt that looks nothing special... It's a regular looking belt with a zipper on the body side..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 11:43 AM

Yeah, I know I'm dopey. We're down there usually for 3 months and with the new banking rules about accounts, I never want be without the liquid kind, in case of a breakdown or shakedown.
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 12:01 PM

I was also going to ask anyone?

I get my tourist visa on the net before I go but I have never, ever stopped to get it stamped in San Ysidro. Don't see how you could anyway? You're already past the building, after the gentleman direct you to the giant cancer causing machine on the left.

Even when I fly out of SJD during our stay, I just put the purchased visa in my Passport. The United counter peeps take it out and staple to my boarding pass. Never had an issue.

??
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  
I was also going to ask anyone?

I get my tourist visa on the net before I go but I have never, ever stopped to get it stamped in San Ysidro. Don't see how you could anyway? You're already past the building, after the gentleman direct you to the giant cancer causing machine on the left.

Even when I fly out of SJD during our stay, I just put the purchased visa in my Passport. The United counter peeps take it out and staple to my boarding pass. Never had an issue.

??

Welcome to Nomad... since you asked:
Your FMM is invalid without the stamp at the border, so a waste of money but since it is rarely or never asked for in Baja, you were fine.
The person who stamps the online FMM is the same one who issues them, so not any time savings getting one online.

You mentioned San Ysidro, so I presume you are crossing at the main Tijuana entry (El Chaparral). As soon as you see the giant Mexican flagpole, get in the far right lane (signed ":Something to Declare" (even if you aren't) and go to the covered parking over by the flagpole, in front of the big building (ie. DON'T PASS the building).
Park and take your passport through the building and out the back door where the INM desks are. Fill out the form you are given, follow instructions: usually to take it to the bank teller just inside the building, then back for that stamp.
If you miss parking north of the building and go through the automatic gates, then park on the other side and walk in.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Kinda what I thought. If I stop though, I might miss happy hour in Ensenada. What a conundrum?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 03:21 PM

Well, yes that would be a consideration! LOL

15 minutes is the most it takes unless you get into a tour bus line.
Once you have the 180 day FMM, then no need to stop there again for 6 months.

The main point is that you are a legal visitor in Mexico by doing so.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 07:01 AM

Just got back, drove all the way to Los Barriles hit all of the check points with no issues at all. Waved through all of them going south, got searched 3 of them going north including San Igancio they were all polite and professional in and out less than 5 minutes.
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 07:15 AM

San Ignacio checkpoint on Sunday was shady. No smiles, exit the car, and continúele trying to divert my attention while a big young kid searched the cab, and the clipboard senior soldier tried to get me to go to the rear of my vehicle. I told him, after he is done looking in front we all can check the rear. Got a really bad vibe, once again no gesture of “aloha” whatsoever, stone faced and a bit rude. All the other checkpoints were polite, cool, doing their job.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 09:05 AM

Good job!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
San Ignacio checkpoint on Sunday was shady. No smiles, exit the car, and continúele trying to divert my attention while a big young kid searched the cab, and the clipboard senior soldier tried to get me to go to the rear of my vehicle. I told him, after he is done looking in front we all can check the rear. Got a really bad vibe, once again no gesture of “aloha” whatsoever, stone faced and a bit rude. All the other checkpoints were polite, cool, doing their job.

Less expectation about how these soldiers should act.

Exit your car with a smile and hello. Keep smiling. Pay attention to the search. Extend ''good vibes.'' Don't be rude.

Hope for the best. Expect the worst. I'm a pessimist.

Checkpoints are just not a big deal. Check the gringo attitudes at the border.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 03:14 PM

Well, sounds like they're still at it. Plan on having everything of import in my pants pockets.

My buddy who is travelling down with me this trip is a giant frickin bear. He's about to go into the police academy here. Maybe that will be a deterrence? The wife insisted I bring protection with me.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 04:55 PM

Well, sounds like they're still at it. Plan on having everything of import in my pants pockets.

My buddy who is travelling down with me this trip is a giant frickin bear. He's about to go into the police academy here. Maybe that will be a deterrence? The wife insisted I bring protection with me.

After reading several negative posts about the check point at San Iqnacio I was really prepared for a bad experience when we went through last week but honestly is was the exact opposite they were professional, polite, and as I mentioned (north bound)we were in and out in less than 5 minutes. My wife and I, our small dog, and a truck load of stuff going south, empty truck coming back. I guess its a matter of who you get...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Got a really bad vibe, once again no gesture of “aloha” whatsoever, stone faced and a bit rude.

No different than any US cop.

John
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-14-2020 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  

After reading several negative posts about the check point at San Iqnacio I was really prepared for a bad experience when we went through last week but honestly is was the exact opposite they were professional, polite, and as I mentioned (north bound)we were in and out in less than 5 minutes. My wife and I, our small dog, and a truck load of stuff going south, empty truck coming back. I guess its a matter of who you get...

One thing I noticed over the years, travelling with and without a spousal partner as well as being single with a ponytail, is that
'racial profiling' is alive and well in Baja.

When with a female partner most inspections went well and no problems; we'd rehearsed the drill of 'one door at a time' and don't allow to be distracted. ALL DOORS ARE LOCKED, and they need me to do the unlocking, ONE DOOR AT A TIME. No exceptions, although a few times they tried. I followed each inspector personally through my RV and truck, my partner on the passenger side.

However; when single there was always a bit of malingering and Q & A about going down south "for the senoritas" etc., especially with a 10" tail on my neck. Searches were categorically longer and more thorough, as well as ploys for deception.

But, once shaved off into a nice #2 buzz it abated some. Just like living in southern Utah; once the hair disappeared and a baseball hat was in place even incipit rednecks would smile and wave at me. Ah, the good life. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 10:13 AM

Going to go back to the tried and true. 12 pack of Fanta!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  

One thing I noticed over the years, travelling with and without a spousal partner as well as being single with a ponytail, is that
'racial profiling' is alive and well in Baja.

When with a female partner most inspections went well and no problems; we'd rehearsed the drill of 'one door at a time' and don't allow to be distracted. ALL DOORS ARE LOCKED, and they need me to do the unlocking, ONE DOOR AT A TIME. No exceptions, although a few times they tried. I followed each inspector personally through my RV and truck, my partner on the passenger side.

However; when single there was always a bit of malingering and Q & A about going down south "for the senoritas" etc., especially with a 10" tail on my neck. Searches were categorically longer and more thorough, as well as ploys for deception.

But, once shaved off into a nice #2 buzz it abated some. Just like living in southern Utah; once the hair disappeared and a baseball hat was in place even incipit rednecks would smile and wave at me. Ah, the good life. :smug:

chatting with the soldiers helps.
when you have kids (pre-teens) in the car, i have found that the soldiers almost always waive you thru, or if inspected, let the wife and kids stay in car and make their inspections brief...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 09:04 AM

IMG_0456.jpg - 96kB
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 10:17 AM

Offering a 12-pack of Fanta seems like a dangerous precedent - an act of kindness with a future downside risk - akin to feeding the bears at Yellowstone only to complain when on the next trip the bears rip off your doors looking for the goodies they have come to expect.

I just finished a 3+ week trip in Baja, two weeks or so in a caravan of four vehicles and the remainder with two vehicles. We passed through many military checkpoints, including San Ignacio twice, with no issues and no shakedowns. Being polite but businesslike, friendly but not over friendly, making eye contact and answering questions directly, succinctly and without volunteering extra information worked for us. Not unlike handling any encounter with law enforcement in the U.S.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.