Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Hwy1 South
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 12:14 PM

I agree with Mr. Bills' approach as it is the one I have come to use. I used to be really friendly and BS with them. Unfortunately this just made them overly comfortable. While inspecting my ice chest they would always ask for waters and soda which I gladly shared. Heck, they're standing in the hot sun all day but I would say no to wanting my beer. Then of course all the requests to buy my Maglites etc. Just seemed to make the inspection that much more time consuming.

Now I've taken to being an old curmudgeon. Polite, professional but just not overly friendly. This seems to be the most efficient and I'm back on the road in the shortest time. They are eager to get away from this crotchety old Gringo and on to someone more pleasant. I'm never rude or challenging in anyway, just not someone who you want to hang with. :lol:

[Edited on 1-23-2020 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 12:41 PM

Well, I'm retired and almost NEVER in a hurry. So I BS with them and offer water or beers (I don't drink sodas)

I've even given them shots of Don Julio 70 once. That was quit interesting and fun !

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 09:32 AM

You may be right but the boys on the north bound side at San Ignacio asked last year if I had anything to drink. I had some OJ and they were happy.

I think it's a matter of what crew is working at the time you go through. I've provided snacks and drinks before and it's worked out.

I have never handed over mordita and I get pulled over in San Jose del Cabo at least twice a year. Always a local muni cop looking for cash. Having Fl tags on (only 1 plaque) doesn't help.

Maybe need to sell the Armada and go back to an old Explorer I guess.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 10:21 AM

If you're heading south on Friday Feb. 14, it's "Día de San Valentín"- a day to celebrate friendships and love.

Pack some some extra chocolates or other goodies for people you meet along the way at checkpoints, gas stations and other places.

It's a good day to be friendly and share some treats.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2020 at 09:55 AM

Have done the Fanta thing off and on for years. Some people do cigs.

Looking forward to an easy trip this time.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 08:37 PM

Just got through San Ignacio checkpoint yesterday. No problems but they did ask my buddy if they could have his flashlight. Of course he said no.

Other than that no problems.
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2020 at 11:32 AM

Made it down. San Ignacio got asked to alight the vehicle for inspection. Stood over the guy and he got bored after sniffing my carmex container. Tossed him the Fanta and he said thanks and was told to move on.

All other checkpoints was waved through.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
4-19-2020 at 01:04 PM
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 08:03 AM

Well our 4 month extended SJD trip is coming to an end. Flying the wife out on the 31st and my drive starts June 1.

The last 6 weeks were probably better than most. Yes everything was shut down, but still able to ride the hills without being arrested. More locals on the trails now.

Apparently the Sea of Cortez is a petri dish of Covid as they have been confiscating boards and chasing people out of the ocean. One bummer. Did manage to get wet a couple of times before it all started.

Apparently Breck is still pretty much shut down but the bike path is open.

So going up Hwy 5 for the first time. Recommendations for a good place to stay in San Felipe? Don't mind paying a bit more. Close to the Hwy and the beach.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  

So going up Hwy 5 for the first time. Recommendations for a good place to stay in San Felipe? Don't mind paying a bit more. Close to the Hwy and the beach.

El Cortez is right on the beach, and if you want something closer to the malecon then El Caribe...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Also forgot to ask, East or West entry going north is the best? Sentri lane.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 09:53 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Also forgot to ask, East or West entry going north is the best? Sentri lane.

I use East when I have people with me that don't have Sentri because they can walk across easily, while I drive through Sentri.
If that isn't an issue, usually go West crossing.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 08:40 AM

Thanks for that.

Is there a link to directions going north through the west port of entry, coming from San Felipe? Just looking for redundancy. My maps are 3 years old and don't trust that b-tch Siri at all.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 08:51 AM

Don't trust that jerk 'Garmin' either! It will lead you directly to the border crossing by the most direct route, then you will have to go exploring to find your way to the 'real' access route! (and I had already downloaded the most recent update)

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 08:56 AM

Searching would be good. Lots of detailed help on this forum.
For me I find avoiding the West hassle is my choice and I use the East then complain about the extra miles to get to San Diego.
=== ==
Thanks for that.

Is there a link to directions going north through the west port of entry, coming from San Felipe? Just looking for redundancy. My maps are 3 years old and don't trust that b-tch Siri at all.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:14 AM

The new roads are open at the west crossing and although I have not done it directly, you pretty much go straight up 5 and it goes right into Sentri, plenty of signs at this point I'm sure. The all cars still go along the border fence the last time I crossed a couple months ago.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:21 AM

Thanks for that.

To the Sentri lanes for Mexicali West, just stay on the 5 and make a left on Calle James William Stone and then a right on Calzada de Los Presidentes. Unless something has changed, that will shoot you straight into the Sentri lanes. I think there is another entrance as well, but this is super easy!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:30 AM

I crossed going north at the west P.O.E. on March 2. That was before the Covid19 outbreak had affected travel very much, and it took about an hour and forty five minutes to cross.

From what I have read, there is very little traffic crossing north now so it should go pretty quick! While I was inching along the barrier fence, I noticed the border agents (MX and US) inspecting a freshly cut section! Then I started noticing dozens of repaired spots over several blocks!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I crossed going north at the west P.O.E. on March 2. That was before the Covid19 outbreak had affected travel very much, and it took about an hour and forty five minutes to cross.

From what I have read, there is very little traffic crossing north now so it should go pretty quick! While I was inching along the barrier fence, I noticed the border agents (MX and US) inspecting a freshly cut section! Then I started noticing dozens of repaired spots over several blocks!

AK, Did you notice if you could access Sentri lanes from the traffic lanes that parallel the border fence?

DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:41 AM

I was going to go straight north from Mexicali to get to Vegas for the night. Maybe using US 95. Should I use the east entry then?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:59 AM

I was going to go straight north from Mexicali to get to Vegas for the night. Maybe using US 95. Should I use the east entry then?

That would be best if you are gonna use 95...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.