Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magdalena Bay/Puerto Lopez Mateos
Motofshr

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:48 PM
Magdalena Bay/Puerto Lopez Mateos

Greetings from Coos Bay Oregon

New member here, .....not new to driving Baja, however it's been 20yrs since last down to Mulege...
OK, so making a bucket list trip to Magdalena Bay, camping, fishing & the whales, party of two (truckcampers, both pulling trailers, one 12ft aluminum boat), hope to be down for a month.. give or take.. We plan to cross at Tecate on Feb 14th in tagalong with a travel club caravan., 1st night at an RV park in San Quintin with the club. We will probably continue on south when they turn east to the Bay of LA... Our first long term destination is Puerto Lopez Mateos. so.... I'm in search of any and all info regarding camping and fishing the esteros/mangroves in Puerto Lopez Mateos..... comments on safety camping in the area..maybe few miles from town? road conditions from Cuidad Insurgentes out to P. Lopez Mateos .... ect... also anyone up for the trip... fellow carvaners welcome...
Thanks for any suggestions,
Happy trails

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by Motofshr]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 01:22 AM

as a general rule - the closer you are to a place where many people live, the more you are at risk. But even if you find a remote spot - the more people know/learn about your spot, the more you are at riask.

Harald Pietschmann
Motofshr

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 02:04 AM

Thanks for your reply ......so it's out of sight out of mind. Or no witnesses opportunity. ....... probably more risk just driving down....trying to get a feel for that area....
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 10:04 AM

We have camped on the offshore islands, fished, did some diving, etc. We left the truck at Puerto Chale next to a home where we inquired about paying for parking. They were happy to watch the truck and camper shell until we returned and were, of course, paid for the service. All was fine when we returned. Puerto Chale is at the lower end of the bay and we covered quite a bit of it.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 10:26 AM

you can U2U me if you have questions about Lopez. I live in Lopez full time.
Motofshr

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 09:19 PM

Jack Swords, ...."Camped on the offshore islands"
that sounds pretty cool, so much area to explore...the excitement builds...
Appreciate your parking suggestion.

Mula, many thanks ,,, U2U sent

Saludos
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 09:13 AM

I think having two trucks pulling boats is going to limit your choices somewhat. E.g., There are roads to go to the coast, but you can't turn around en route with those trailers, and you don't know what's at the end of the road. We drove from San Carlos to Pto Lopez Mateos all along the mangrove coast roads. It all looks the same - thick, impenetrable mangroves with occasional clearings that go to hard scrabble fish camps, or an area where one can camp surrounded by mangroves, but not launch a boat. the fishermen might let you launch if you pay them (?). There is a lot of private property with fences outside of town that go toward the coast. Sometimes you get a place - an access road off the main dirt road - that takes you to a sandy "beach" where you can launch a boat into the mangroves - but you will see in front of you channels of mangroves to navigate through. Maybe Mula can give you some solid advice on put-ins, etc. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time driving around looking for your ideal spot, and maybe never find it. I'm sure the local people know those roads, those mangrove channels - it would take some asking around and finding a friendly person to help you out. Ciudad Insurgentes road is a fine, bleak, fast.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 10:11 AM

wilderone is right.
Study Google Earth or CalTopo to see places you can move about : https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=27.60932,-112.90375&z=11...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 10:24 AM

Here's some pics - around San Carlos up to Pto Lopez Mateos.

Clearings for camping spots along the mangrove coast road.

Mangroves for miles with no access.

Roads go where? Lots of these – we always chose west.

Fish camp for launch access (with permission? For a fee?)

Launch point into channels of mangroves.

Tide fluctuations – same spot – tide out, tide in. there was room for one truck to camp there - private property all around.

Roads that go to the coast – side trails off the main road go to mangrove channels.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 11:29 AM

We've made several trips to Puerto Chale (Magdalena Bay). We launched 2 kayaks and one inflatable boat and were not only treated well by the locals, but they helped us unload the truck and pack the kayaks. When we returned they helped us load the kayaks. The mangrove channels are like semitunnels as you can't see over them from a small boat. You can see mountains. We did go to Isla Creciente (many no-seeums, Isla Santa Margarita (where we camped and hiked). Saw many whales, caught fish, etc. Collected turtle shell for my classroom (biology teacher) and had it attached to kayak when we returned to Puerto Chale. I was informed it was illegal and was told they were getting the "esposas." Didn't know what wives had to do with it until the gathered group gestured with their hands that esposas were handcuffs. Then it was apparent I was the butt of their joking (not the first time experiencing Mexican humor) and they then loaded the turtle shell in my truck, still laughing (as was I, then). Wonderful poor folks that are incredibly hospitable. The shell (carapace) earned its place in my biology classroom.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 12:31 PM

Traveling with an RV caravan might offer a false sense of security....and will have you driving in a long line of RV's that clog the highway and make your trip slower than if you and the other camper unit went it alone. The caravans I have been caught behind increase the likelihood of other drivers taking stupid risks trying to pass you.... and the caravaners seem to be mindless when it comes to considering other drivers and vehicles on the road.

My advice would be to be less worried about "safety" in regards to the mythical evil hordes waiting to steal from you and more concerned about driving in an easily identified road hazard...

Have fun however you do it.:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Motofshr

[*] posted on 1-13-2020 at 01:55 AM

Wilderone,
Thanks for the pictures..worth a1000 words... as the saying goes.. looks like you did some exploring.... really appreciate you taking the time to put it together... and your suggestions...your point is well a taken about following unknown roads with the trailers...maybe take a day or two.. pay for a secure spot in town to park them and do a little recon for a day or two...

David K,
Great idea/resource, the topo link is a new one for me...thanks amigo

Jack Sword,
Your turtle shell story had me laughing as well....as I read it I thought the same "wives"??huh ....and a grerat story for your kids... For me, interaction with the locals (any country) is my idea of the very best part of travel ... I'll add, hardworking, to your description of the "folks" south of our border.
I picture the Mangroves as some what of a maze...probably need to thnk about leaving trail markers along the way...oh yea I'm gonna get a little lost. Saludos

Motoged,
I hear you, I hoping that the wagon master emphasizes at least 1/2 mile between rigs.... as I said above, agree... I'm probably more at risk driving down that running into evil humans. that said.. I am hoping the after-drive beer hours/stories will be interesting. :biggrin:
....& I won't believe everything I think...;D
mcquadeoutdoors

[*] posted on 10-28-2021 at 12:44 PM

Jumping on an old thread, new here(but not to baja) and looking to do a trip down to mag bay. How did camping go, ill be doing a trip down in Jan to tent camp and fish.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.