BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pet travel to Mexico...update!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-15-2020 at 08:28 PM
Pet travel to Mexico...update!

I like to play by the rules when I can, so I have always made a point to set up an exam, and get a heath certificate before I cross into mexico. Nobody ever seemed to want to see it, but it was a requirement!

On about the 8th of this month, I set up the vet appointment for this years trip. The 14th worked best for all, and now I have my paperwork in order.

Today I received a letter from the veterinarian (dated the 12th) stating that as of 12/16/2019, the health certificates are no longer required, but an inspection at the border is!

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr...

Odd that it never occurred to them to tell me that instead of the exam and certificate, all I really needed was to make sure her shots were up to date and I had the records with me!

QUESTION...Has anyone actually had their dog inspected at the border?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2020 at 08:45 PM

Went through the border twice recently. No one asked about the dog coming or going. All I had was his shot record.

That chithe@d dog Scooby at Costa del Sol attacked him. And in pulling Scooby off he bit my wrist. My dog will be bigger next time and I'm thinking about letting him take that old dog down.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 06:51 AM

Been traveling to Baja about 25 yrs. Usually with a dog or 4. Never been asked anything. I do have health certificates, just in case, though.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
My dog will be bigger next time and I'm thinking about letting him take that old dog down.

An adult would avoid taking their dog where they know there is a disagreeable dog. An @Sshole would purposely fight their dog.
Jizz, you purposely fight your dog, someone will probably kill your dog, then beat you up. Rightly so, too.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 08:44 AM

This is old news. Law changed last year where inspections are no longer required.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 09:27 AM

Been traveling in Baja for 32 years now, most trips with our Doberman.
All I have ever had are compliments on what a good looking dog we have. We always have his shot records and Vet file with us.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

puzzled.gif posted on 1-16-2020 at 09:29 AM
Old news?

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
This is old news. Law changed last year where inspections are no longer required.

Thank you for your helpful reply, but did you read the link I provided? I guess that one month ago qualifies as "last year", but this was current events for me and my veterinarian.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 09:56 AM

Good day alll
We flew down on the 5th of January to Cabo with dog. There is a new office in luggage claim area for pets. I always get health certificate and was glad. The lady in office took original certificate and noted my passport number on back. I had all the new vet forms regarding new procedures and certificate not required. She advised form was still necessary? Entered my info into computer and on our way.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

An adult would avoid taking their dog where they know there is a disagreeable dog. An @Sshole would purposely fight their dog.
Jizz, you purposely fight your dog, someone will probably kill your dog, then beat you up. Rightly so, too.

Travel in a group. Always have 2 bad MX hombres with me, often times 3.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 01:34 PM

Crossed at Mexicali west on 12/27 they saw our dog in her kennel and just smiled.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-17-2020 at 08:20 AM

We always bring our dogs to restaurants at the Bay. Usually several at a time and they all walk around and smell and pack up together. Scooby is a cool dog. NEVER had a problem with him.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 12:49 PM

My beautiful Loki died last year but I did always brig him to Baja with me, twice a year. I got tired of paying the fee for a certificate so I downloaded the Aphis 700? form and completed it myself. There were no lies or disinformation involved as my dog always got his shots and had regular appointments with the vet. Saved lot of $$. I also always brought his shot records for US border patrol. He also had a valid license tag.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 12:54 PM

How often did the U.S. border officers ask you for the dog's papers?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 01:21 PM

I have only been asked for shot records once going north, never going south. It was a slow day at Tecate (only one car ahead of me) so I got more questions than usual.

I offered the health certificate as well, but he did not look at it.

Lost in this thread is my question; Has anyone ever had a dog inspected by Mexican border agents? For that matter, do they even have a facility or station set up for that?

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have only been asked for shot records once going north, never going south. It was a slow day at Tecate (only one car ahead of me) so I got more questions than usual.

I offered the health certificate as well, but he did not look at it.

Lost in this thread is my question; Has anyone ever had a dog inspected by Mexican border agents? For that matter, do they even have a facility or station set up for that?

Yes and Yes
Documents proving up to date vaccinations especially Rabies and your good to go
Lionel :cool:
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 09:34 AM

Thanks AK! This is good news as the health cert was not free from my vet. And I do not think he is as well informed as yours is.

I owe you a cerveza!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 09:59 AM

I would have been more impressed with the veterinarian if they had told me about the new policy before they charged me for the exam and certificate!

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by AKgringo]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 10:00 AM

I read the link in the OP and a certificate may now be no longer required, but it does say to do this:

"Upon arrival to Mexico with the pet dog(s) and/or cat(s) in a clean cage(s)/carrier(s), travelers must visit the Mexican Animal and Plant Health Inspection Office (OISA), to contact the official personnel working with SENASICA. The official personnel will verify the following:"

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by JZ]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 10:18 AM

JZ, that is the part that troubles me! I would much rather deal with an exam and certificate from my own vet than jump through a hoop like that at the border!

I don't think they are really set up to handle pets at the border crossings like they are at airports.

beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 01:35 PM

The inspection is only when flying in with a dog.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.