BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Bahia de Los Angeles,, must see's, etc?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 01:09 PM

Other than a small museum, there is pretty much nothing to see in the actual town of BOLA. Daytrips within one-two hour drive - yes, possibly.

The best low-key camp is definitely Archelon. You'll be on the beach, with hot showers, toilets and even a small cafeteria (recent addition by Tony junior, son of late Antonio Resendiz). You can safely leave your car and take a sunset stroll to the lighthouse, and your garbage will go where it should.

Rent a panga to Isla de La Guarda if you can and/or if the weather is predictably stable for the day. Otherwise, Isla Smith has similarly nice coves and is much closer.

Groceries are "available". There might not be fresh meat or fruits or dairy on some days but there will be basic stuff. I don't know what 800peops is.

Gas is "usually available".

Dining out - I would say, Alejandrina restaurant. Though, nothing to write home about.

Whale watching is better done from GN. In BOLA you may or may not see them on the exact day that you plan.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
ahh, so the markings of '4WD' are outdated?

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is a 2WD graded highway from L.A. Bay south to Punta San Francisquito and then west to El Arco and Hwy. 1.

No, the first 4WD notation is for the side road to the terminal platform below the San Juan Mine tramline end at the Las Flores Railroad line. See my trip report.
The second 4WD notation is for the old road along the sierra. The graded dirt highway goes via San Rafael.

[Edited on 1-16-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 02:32 PM

yeah, 800peops? Everything in BOLA is more expensive, and not much choice. Large grocery stores in Ensenada; pick up tortillas, empanadas, ice and beer in El Rosario. Also, the family at San Borja has a nice garden area, as does their closest neighbor. I bring them vegetable seeds - it's a long way to a grocery store for them.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 02:45 PM

Micah202, back when I made my website www.vivabaja.com it was to help people decide what to visit based on what they liked to see or do. I provided links to other sites, other Nomad's photos, my trip photos, maps, etc.
I made a 'self-guided' tour page that took you to my photos at various regions in Baja. Now, that was over 10-15 years ago, and I have newer photos of many of these sites... but this is what I had for the L.A. Bay region: This is the link: http://vivabaja.com/tours/index.html

Bahia de los Angeles Area

Tinaja de Yubay
Punta Candeleros & Remedios (Bahia Guadalupe)
El Toro Copper Mine
Camp Gecko cabin, turtle research station, & La Gringa
Bahia de los Angeles highway, Pemex, etc. '05
Bahia de los Angeles Museum
Mision San Borja
Mision San Borja (inside)
Old San Gregorio
Santa Ana, San Ignacito
Montevideo Petroglyphs
Las Tinajitas Petroglyphs
Camp Gecko '03
Las Flores
Los Paredones, La Bocana, Bahia San Rafeal
Las Flores Railroad and Tramway
Rock Palm Hill (near Yubay)
Bahia las Animas
Punta La Gringa
Mysterious Ruins/ Lost Mission Site?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 03:21 PM

ALM... that's a very useful note on the groceries. I picture it being similar to Gonzaga that way.
.....Whale watching,,, diversity, but not a sure thing,, similar impression i had for whale tours from Loreto.
.... I usually get some good marine interactions from my boats I bring along,, was sailing with the whales in GN last time. Would love a whaleshark encounter sometime.

ahh, so the markings of '4WD' are outdated?

It is a 2WD graded highway from L.A. Bay south to Punta San Francisquito and then west to El Arco and Hwy. 1.

No, the first 4WD notation is for the side road to the terminal platform below the San Juan Mine tramline end at the Las Flores Railroad line. See my trip report.
The second 4WD notation is for the old road along the sierra. The graded dirt highway goes via San Rafael.

[Edited on 1-16-2020 by David K]

Nice to know of the two backroad options and that they're both reasonably accessible, though the San Borja hotspring,picto's and somewhat shorter route back to #1 is tipping the scale.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 04:59 PM

San Borja is a must see... Palapa camping there with flush toilets and showers. José and his family are excellent hosts. He will light a fire under the water heater so it will be hot showers for you!

The north road is very good with only a few rough miles. The west road (out to Nuevo Rosarito) is less maintained so a bit slower. José can be hired (or his son) to take you to Las Tinajitas or perhaps another rock art site? Plan to spend a day or more to get in the mission and the other attractions. Yes, the warm spring can be bathed in... I haven't, as the sulfur smell is a bit foul sometimes.

Las Tinajitas

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 06:10 PM

Nice suggestions folks, keep 'em coming! The title will long serve as a useful search for others.

I camp from my Sienna, bring kayak and small sailboat on the roof. I'm immediately drawn to la Gringa for the excellent wave protection from the Norte winds.
...that'd be way cool to spend time on the islands, we'll see.

What type of kayak and sailboat?
If you got good equip (sea kayak or good daysailer) and skills, go to the nearest islands. Isla Smith is a good trip. The peninsula north of las animas (SE of town) is good paddle. Be careful of venturing offshore or rocky coastline if your experience level is low.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 06:46 PM

Market level is definitely a good step above Gonzaga. There are 3 markets. Never bought steak in BoLA, but they have pretty much everything you could need. Saving a few bones in Ensenada isn't worth having to cart all that stuff down.

Anyway, it's fun going to the local markets and meeting the folks.

Pic from the beach just before the pavement ends on the way to La Gringa:

[Edited on 1-17-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2020 at 07:05 PM

All awesome suggestions by the regulars! I would add that I like OSM app for Baja navigation, easy to use. I've always wanted to climb/hike Mikes mountain, South/West end of BOLA. Campo Archelon is a good camp spot. Costa Del Sol and China's taco stand are always a good bet for a meal. Always wanted to explore out past La Gringa as well. Good luck and please post a report.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2020 at 02:13 PM

With your kayaking/sailing plans you'd better print tide tables for that time-frame: http://redmar.cicese.mx/meteoro/graph/calendario_tablas.php - change the date and town in the dropdown menu.

In BOLA when tide is coming, current flows North and can be strong around the points and narrow passages. When tide is going the current flows South. Simple.

The heaviest winds are from North and West. Southerly and Easterly winds are rarely heavy.

You don't want to deal with both headwind and opposing current. Especially in a kayak. In a sailboat it also sucks, and probably sucks even more when you are 10 miles from home, wind suddenly dies (could happen late afternoon), and there is opposing current.

[Edited on 1-17-2020 by Alm]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2020 at 02:20 PM

Thanks All, good details to note in general.
As for myself, I have a long background in both Olympic sailing and visiting Baja in this way.
If you see a small sailboat out in 30+ knots of breeze, that'll likely be me! :light:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
... Never bought steak in BoLA, ...

[Edited on 1-17-2020 by JZ]

Who needs a steak when you can chew on a stinky running shoe :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 12:40 PM

About steak etc - I would not carry perishables from Ensenada or Tijuana to BOLA without adequate refrigeration arrangements in the vehicle. But I would bring everything else and also long-lasting food items from the States like cooking oil, nuts, your favorite herbal teas, good quality rice and beans etc. In BOLA it will cost double, if at all available. Rice will be sh-tty, beans - with small rocks.

There is also this 3-rd world habit in small villages - no price tags on anything, makes you suspect the worst (and it usually is).

[Edited on 1-18-2020 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 01:58 PM

What's wrong with bringing an ice chest?
L.A. Bay is only 8 hours from the border, not 8 days.
Seriously though, instead of steak, why not fresh, local seafood instead?
Viva Baja Food!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
About steak etc - I would not carry perishables from Ensenada or Tijuana to BOLA without adequate refrigeration arrangements in the vehicle. But I would bring everything else and also long-lasting food items from the States like cooking oil, nuts, your favorite herbal teas, good quality rice and beans etc. In BOLA it will cost double, if at all available. Rice will be sh-tty, beans - with small rocks.

There is also this 3-rd world habit in small villages - no price tags on anything, makes you suspect the worst (and it usually is).

Disagree strongly with all this.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 05:14 PM

:lol: oh good lord.......
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Disagree strongly with all this.

If you disagree that BOLA prices are much higher than Tijuana or Ensenada and don't see anything wrong with BOLA products, then you can't count and have sense of taste strongly diminished. No offense :)

I tried beans in unmarked bags from the Isla, - small rocks in there. Some light-brown beans, forget red kidney beans, they don't know what that is. Tried another kind in a sealed branded bag from Mike's store - same rocks. OTH, olive oil was nice, imported Spanish, cost 2 times of what you pay in Safeway. And so on, etcetera, etcetera.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 06:01 PM

Seriously though, instead of steak, why not fresh, local seafood instead?

There is fish, shrimp and scallops. Usually frozen, not fresh. You'll have to ask locals for this, stores don't sell any. Really pathetic stores.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 07:04 PM

I agree with the suggestion of bringing a base stock of things from home,, the favorites,, condiments,, usually found at home.
Personally, I'd never travel without my favorite granola for camp mornings. <;~0

I'm not big enough on steak to be concerned, but certainly an extra insulated cooler covers that for a few days,.

Local fish is a favorite,, best bought straight from the panga's as they hit the beach. That's what I love of Baja, fish camps all over the place, even in pretty isolated boondocking sites,, pretty rare to buy that in any shops!

I usually take a good load of fish and prawns home to Vancouver with me....just don't forget to add ice each couple of days.

In general, a decent cooler allows for 3-4 days remote camping before re-stock,, just eat the more perishable items first.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 07:04 PM

Rice will be sh-tty, beans - with small rocks.

You be a dumb flock that don’t know how to prepare beans.
You should stay in usa and eat microwaved TV dinners.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.