BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: WHALE WATCHING --BAHIA MAGDALENA?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 12:47 AM
WHALE WATCHING --BAHIA MAGDALENA?

I know it's recommended to do whale watching in Ignacio and Guerro Negro,, but there's a circumstance I might be dealing with,,a friend flying in to Loreto for just a few days,, and she's got a tender spine, so a shorter drive and ~2 hour outing is best.
...We're also pretty low budget., camping, and would think it's better to fill out a boat rather than book our own for 3 persons,, this works well in GN with the many people that go through there,, is that the best way to approach an outing in Magdelena?
....With these circumstances in mind,,, how is Bahia Magdalena? Is Adolfo López Mateos, or San Carlos better? There's good chance to commune with the whales on a ~2hr outing?

...Any suggestions and details would be much appreciated. :)

[Edited on 1-19-2020 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 08:46 AM

Lopez Mateos is closer to Loreto and closer to the whales than San Carlos. Nomad 'Mula' lives there and has recently commented on this.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:45 AM

Ojo de Liebres always has the most whales, being the largest lagoon, and the huge plus is Shari's Whale Magic Tours is there, along with her new whale camp that just opened.

To have the opportunity to stay out of town under the dark Baja skies by the lagoon waters with spouting whales offshore all night is worth a little extra driving it entails.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
To have the opportunity to stay out of town under the dark Baja skies by the lagoon waters with spouting whales offshore all night is worth a little extra driving it entails.

Totally! I do that 4/5 nights in Baja, remote boondocking from my van. It's totally lovely! I even have good campspots through each of the whale lagoons, and many happy memories of sailing and kayaking with said whales.
Shari's is an excellent setup for small groups who want to get the experience of what I have most every night,, and would spend the same as my 3 week gas,food budget for 3 nights in order to get it.

I really am just looking for details, recomendations to see if I can
get a friend out who's frail in the back, can't manage much more than a 2hr drive, and would potentially fly into Loreto. <;~]

[Edited on 1-19-2020 by micah202]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Lopez Mateos is closer to Loreto and closer to the whales than San Carlos. Nomad 'Mula' lives there and has recently commented on this.

Yes, I was realizing it's Lopez Mateos that has the very best boondocking opportunities for hearing the whales snort at night. It was the early 90's I stayed there last, been trying to figure where it was ever since.

I remember hearing the snorts,, it was a full mooon, we paddledout amongst them for a while. Definitely 'not on any brochure' I've seen. <;~0

Whether it be Lopez or Magdelena,,, it's be great to hear deets of popular guides, etc.... I'll watch for Mula.

[Edited on 1-21-2020 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 12:46 PM

Lopez Mateos is on Magdalena Bay, the north end. Hope you have a good experience. As mentioned, Shari will be a good connection for Scammon's Lagoon (Ojo de Liebre) watching... near Guerrero Negro.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 10:06 PM

Mula's away travelling at the moment, but was very kind to share some details in U2U.

Piratas Tours is suggested as a go-to group. They only have web presence on facebook, but Mula can usually help out with bookings, etc if needed.

https://www.facebook.com/piratas.tours
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 10:35 AM

I have been to the Lopez Mateos & Guerrero Negro in the past & had good success with whales in March, the best month.
When I was at Lopez Mateos I waited around & got on a boat with few people. Many of those whale boats are packed so if you are taking photos it is much more difficult. So I wait around until a boat has just enough people to make a trip. When I've been on boats with Mexicans only I paid less than when with foreigners.
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 11:19 AM

If your friend's back is so tender, how will they handle being bounced around in a panga?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-26-2020 at 12:11 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.