Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: money changing
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:06 AM
money changing

HI,

Does anyone know if the money exchange locations on the USA side of Tecate are open Sundays? Last time we went to Baja we exchanged dollars/pesos at Costco in Chula Vista, which turned out to be less favorable than in Tecate.

Thx,

Ray
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:12 AM

Ray, You will find no better exchange location than your nearest ATM. Anything else will be inconvenient and expensive. This is the 21st. century.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:22 AM

there IS a limit at the ATM
don't assume an ATM works ALL the time

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:38 AM

In order to avoid the San Isidro money changers at the Tijuana border, I found a supplier located in a bank in Carlsbad by the name of Travel X.

I don't know many outlets they manage, but the convenience of getting all the peso one needs ahead of time and not exposing our vehicles to the San Isidro mayhem, is worth the effort.

Their rates are comparable to any others as far as I have been able to confirm, and the convenience surely is worth considering.

Happy New Year!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:41 AM
ATM!!

I use them all over Mexico, never a problem

If you have a need for bigger withdrawals then talk to your bank,
some banks will make an adjustment for you

I have a good friend who has a couple condos in Puerto Vallarta
He needs big bucks every months for the condo fees
Has a withdrawal limit up over $2k (US) daily

When we go down as a group every year I am the "El Fi$cal"
And I have 6 guys take the max, that gives me enough pesos to negotiate for the week.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:44 AM

In November of 2016, there was a period of time where not only the ATMs in Mulege, and Loreto refuse to dispense pesos for my US accounts, but the banks refused to exchange my US currency for pesos!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vespaio  
HI,

Does anyone know if the money exchange locations on the USA side of Tecate are open Sundays? Last time we went to Baja we exchanged dollars/pesos at Costco in Chula Vista, which turned out to be less favorable than in Tecate.

Thx,

Ray

Yes, they are open on Sunday.one of them is named baja-mex casa de cambio. You can probably call for hours.
I would not listen to advice to use ATM. If you are infrequent user of ATM outside of country, you risk using ATM and experiencing your bank declining transaction due to fraud alert or some other snafu.
I find it easier to use a cambio at border. Yes, you may lose a few cents per dollar at cambio, relative to atm, but so what? Takes 5 min to stop at cambio and change some cash and avoid atm problems... price of convenience

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 10:00 AM

We always exchange in Tecate after we cross, rates were the same as the US side. They are open on Sunday, don't know the name of the place. stay on the road that you cross the border on until it tee's into the main drag in Tecate, you have to go left or right, go right. About a mile down on the right is the exchanger, you will see several on the way all with about the same prices..
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 10:13 AM

I advise to convert to pesos before crossing, be it at Costco Chula Vista or at a Casa de Cambio near the border crossing. The reason is, if your ATM card doesn't work (as noted above) or the machine in Mexico eats it, you are screwed. Best to have all that you need before crossing south.

Do notify your bank should you need more pesos in Mexico so the card will work in an emergency. The other point is that dollars are accepted everywhere in Baja Norte and pretty much so in Baja Sur. Sure, they may not give you the latest or best rate, but as said, it is only cents on the dollar. Dollars are a second currency in Baja Norte, locals use them all the time in markets, etc.

So, using pesos is easier, no worry about conversion math or getting the correct change and you get the most for your money. But, if you don't get pesos for whatever reason, dollars work fine. I just don't trust sticking my card into a foreign bank ATM. If it gets eaten, the bank doesn't have great hours and I wouldn't want to be stuck at that location waiting for it to open to get my card back.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 10:13 AM

For my last trip I ordered pesos from my bank prior to departure (Wells Fargo) at a rate more favorable than the Chula Vista Costco and the cambios on both sides of the border in Tecate.

A friend used Travel X in Carlsbad and reported a good rate there. If I recall correctly, he was also able to return his unused pesos there without paying an additional commission.

I only had one occasion to use an ATM in Baja on my last trip - inside a bank in Vizcaino. It dispensed the pesos I needed without a hitch, probably because I had filed a travel plan with Wells Fargo before my departure.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 03:49 PM

I use my bank - easy, convenient. I usually exchange about $1,500 worth, no fee from the bank, their exchange is a little less than official rate. Ya, it ends up costing me about $20 for the difference but the convenience of not having to stop is worth it to me.
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 04:48 PM

Thanks for the many choices. I'll probably exchange currency before entering Mex.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 08:20 PM

Wells Fargo has a wonderful system in place for sending cash to yourself in Mexico.

It is called EXPRESS SEND. You can send up to US$1500 a day to yourself or anyone else at almost any store in Baja - Walmart for example, to many banks, telecomm locations and more.

The first transaction MUST be sent from wells fargo to yourself, after that it is done online in seconds. It has been a life saver for us in La Bocana.

EDIT TO REMOVE OXXO AS A PICK UP POINT

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I use them all over Mexico, never a problem

If you have a need for bigger withdrawals then talk to your bank,
some banks will make an adjustment for you

I have a good friend who has a couple condos in Puerto Vallarta
He needs big bucks every months for the condo fees
Has a withdrawal limit up over $2k (US) daily

When we go down as a group every year I am the "El Fi$cal"
And I have 6 guys take the max, that gives me enough pesos to negotiate for the week.

I have a $2K limit on two of my debit cards. The problem isn't with the US bank.

It's that a lot of MX banks limit how much you can take out, either per transaction or per day. This increases the fees. And definitely not all banks in MX work. It's quite hit or miss. I've also seen banks that did work, stop working.

I still take money out in MX, but it's definitely a good idea to get a chunk of cash converted to pesos.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Wells Fargo has a wonderful system in place for sending cash to yourself in Mexico.

It is called EXPRESS SEND. You can send up to US$1500 a day to yourself or anyone else at almost any store in Baja - Walmart or OXXO for example, to many banks, telecomm locations and more.

The first transaction MUST be sent from wells fargo to yourself, after that it is done online in seconds. It has been a life saver for us in La Bocana.

OXXO - seriously - wow. How do you mean the first transaction must me sent from Wells Fargo to yourself? to you have to send from a Wells Fargo branch in person?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 07:26 AM

Let me clarify, the first transaction has to be set up, in person, at wells fargo and from then on, it can always be done online. The name of the person must be exactly as shown on their passport or whatever document will be used for ID.

You can send the cash to anyone, anywhere in Mexico. (Perhaps other countries too but we only do Mexico).

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 07:30 AM

Ray,
I use ATM's all the time but only ones that are attached to banks in case there is a problem, it also gives you more per with drawl than the others. I have two Debit cards, one business and one personal.
I have been getting 8,000 pesos per card at the banks and have found that Banamex has the lowest fee. The fee is the same if you take 5,000 or 8,000 so I always get the max. It is a good idea to take some pesos with you to start until you find a bank to use your card, U.S. dollars work in a pinch.
Been using my debit card for 20 years and have always been able to get money.:cool:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 07:42 AM

and we had SO MUCH hassle with the cards doubling the charges. We always got the cash returned but it took quite a while and it is the US bank that returns the money.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 07:50 AM

I just went online and checked and the locations one can pick up cash DOES NOT include Oxxo (sorry mojo-norte) but does include:

BBVA, SANTANDER, BANORTE, BANSEFA, FAMSA, SORIANA, TELECOMM-TELEGRAFO AND WALMART.

Come visit La Bocana

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 07:52 AM

That small shopping mall (cluster of shops around a gas station) on the US side, with the convenience store is open Sundays, and very early too. They exchange pesos and also sell car insurance. When I'm on a camping trip and know I'll be offroad most of the time, I buy insurance online for the return trip days, and buy at this little store for the days for the trip down. They have hot coffee, muffins.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.