Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: money changing
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Wells Fargo has a wonderful system in place for sending cash to yourself in Mexico.

It is called EXPRESS SEND. You can send up to US$1500 a day to yourself or anyone else at almost any store in Baja - Walmart for example, to many banks, telecomm locations and more.

The first transaction MUST be sent from wells fargo to yourself, after that it is done online in seconds. It has been a life saver for us in La Bocana. I have been using Express send for years . They don't let you send more then 500.00 per day at a charge of 5 bucks. They give a very high rate you have to have copy of I'd to give them . Wondering how you get to exchange 1500. When they have limit of 500.00

EDIT TO REMOVE OXXO AS A PICK UP POINT

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by BajaBlanca]
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 10:47 AM

Thanks Lencho for the hack news about TravelX.

I took dollars to be changed the last time so I don't recall having to give out any bank info, but I guess there might have been some personal info required to make the transaction. I do remember using my passport for an ID so that could have been compromised.

It has been almost a year so I should be in the clear, but still good to know for the next time.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 02:00 PM

I have been using Wells Fargo in Palm Springs. I pay an extra point or two but so what! I figure a budget, then double it. I never use a Mexican ATM, bank, or money changer.

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by Marc]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Thanks Lencho for the hack news about TravelX.

travelx is a very low rate
they have pesos but charge you for them

example: if you get 18 to one at the border you get 16 to one at travelx

wells fargo is the same

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 03:41 PM

I have used ATM's in Baja for as long as they have existed despite the warnings that it will lead to financial ruin and disaster. My bank is always aware of my travels and I carry a spare card linked to my primary account. Also my bank refunds any out of network charges.

I have a few of what I consider common sense methods. I only use bank ATM's when the bank is open so I have some recourse if I have a problem. So far that has never happened. I tend to use specific bank ATM's that I am familiar with and where I feel secure. While I carry enough cash for an emergency the ATM's allow me to travel without carrying excess cash. There are places like Mulege where the ATM's are not real dependable so I just make sure I get enough on my way south. The Bancomer in Vizcaino used to be a problem but the last few times I have stopped there they have more ATM's and a bank employee there for help if needed. In Santa Rosalia I have found the ATM at the Ley Supermarket to be dependable and in Loreto the Banco Azteca also.

I just find it easier to deal in Pesos, for me it seems less complicated than paying in one currency and getting change in another. Also in towns without a bank it can be inconvenient for merchants to take dollars since they are not making deposits often and so have to worry about changes in the exchange rates.

If you are concerned about ATM problems and you are comfortable carrying relatively large amounts of cash then by all means do so. Just take all the warnings of ATM catastrophic malfunction with a grain of salt.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 05:06 AM

Kurt, what we found using ATMs is that you cannnot go into the bank when there is an issue.

You can only talk to your own bank.

Major headache and since we live here, so we had to use the ATM (at the time) often.

For us, Wells Fargo has been a game changer.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 06:25 AM

bump to cover trolls
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Kurt, what we found using ATMs is that you cannnot go into the bank when there is an issue.

You can only talk to your own bank.

Major headache and since we live here, so we had to use the ATM (at the time) often.

For us, Wells Fargo has been a game changer.

Hi Blanca,
Yes, I was writing from the perspective of a tourist. As permanent residents in an area with no bank your situation is much different.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 08:21 AM

I believe it was over 30 yrs. ago when I first went to the "hole in the wall", stuck in a plastic card and it spit out real cash! To this day it still astounds me. Over time there have been occasional hiccoughs. Always they have been rectified. Never have I lost anything but time or convenience. It's easy, it's the hands-down most economical method. If your world does not have an ATM you don't need cash.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 02:11 PM
Walmart?

I stopped at Walmart in Calexico to top off a few supplies that I knew would be available there, and son of a gun, they also exchange currency!

Was it the best rate? Don't know, don't care, it was damned convenient and I did not have to stop again before I headed for the border!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.