Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12  
Author: Subject: THE LIST
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 01:04 PM

I have no idea if this is already on THE LIST.

Take a cheater bar to bust loose lug nuts when you get a flat. I just had to change a tire and I couldn't have done it without my 4 foot cheater bar (a piece of galvanized pipe that fits over the lug nut wrench). The yahoo who rotated my tires last year must have gone crazy with the impact wrench.

In general be totally prepared to change a flat. In addition to the equipment that came with my truck I take the cheater bar, a two foot long 4x12 to use as a base for the jack, and an extra bottle jack.

[Edited on 4-13-2016 by SFandH]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 06:57 AM

I have done the same thing, Santiago.:light:

:bounce::biggrin::bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 10:37 AM

I have used this thread when preparing for trips, appreciate it.

Good advice on being prepared to change a flat. I might add that a cross type lug wrench is much less likely to snap off a frozen lug nut than the cheap single arm lug nut wrench that comes standard with most vehicles.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 11:10 AM

And a 24" piece of pipe as a cheater bar to slip over the lug wrench almost makes repairing a flat enjoyable!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
And a 24" piece of pipe as a cheater bar to slip over the lug wrench almost makes repairing a flat enjoyable!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

When you get old enough........one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880HM2-20-volt-Lithium-2-Inc...

And one of these

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4950-2-Inch-Service-4-Piece/dp/...

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 12:46 PM

I have a 3/4" drive breaker bar, you can put tremendous torque on it. And you can slip a pipe on the end if that isn't enough.

John
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 06:09 PM

I highly recommend an "ophthalmic" antibiotic, have saved a few trips when people got something in their eyes or eye infections.

dmer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 06:04 PM

Hi Bajajudy,

I am crossing toe boarder tomorrow morning and I still can't find a Baja Map. Even the link you sent is out of maps and bird guides.

I hope HWY 1 is well marked!!!!!
Doanne
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 07:18 AM

Oral Rehydration Salts. You can make your own BUT when you feel like S**t it is easier just to mix and drink.

UDO!

Thanks for the tip about dying!

No one plans to BUT...

sapian

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 12:58 PM

Banjo, 'cause you never know when you might be out of earshot from people.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 01:58 PM

I know this thread was from last Summer. We have a TI also and use it a lot to visit Todos Santos island near Ensenada.

Picnics are a breeze away.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 08:22 PM

extra master links for the motorcycle

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 08:31 PM

spectacles
testicles
Wallet
and watch

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 09:01 PM

Half as much stuff and twice as much money!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 09:46 PM

passport

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I have no idea if this is already on THE LIST.

Take a cheater bar to bust loose lug nuts when you get a flat. I just had to change a tire and I couldn't have done it without my 4 foot cheater bar (a piece of galvanized pipe that fits over the lug nut wrench). The yahoo who rotated my tires last year must have gone crazy with the impact wrench.

In general be totally prepared to change a flat. In addition to the equipment that came with my truck I take the cheater bar, a two foot long 4x12 to use as a base for the jack, and an extra bottle jack.

[Edited on 4-13-2016 by SFandH]

Absolutely! My cheater bar is part of an old Yakima basket rack. Perfect diameter and super strong. In my truck always.
DBaja
Junior Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 10:44 PM

Cigarettes and Playboys for barter and local appreciation ;)
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 07:02 AM

Endless items to take... What I do is visualize what/where I will be and for how long Then as you go over your activities break them down to actual steps and add spare everything that you can think of. My angle is to be able to be as self sufficient as possible in all aspects of your stay down there. For me it is about camping on the beach, cooking ALL my meals, fishing, kayaking and freediving. So make sure you have ALL the cooking gear, fuel stoves etc, ALL sleeping gear for cold, rain, windy and/or hot weather. Spare lures, spare lines, spare rods reels, spare car parts, tires, tools, yes and duct tape as well as JB weld, wd40, glues tapes blah blah blah. It takes time to think about all of it and invaribly you will have forgotten something I am sure but numerous trips down there will bring to mind needed items for the next trip.
Basically just fill up the truck!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Allwaters  
Endless items to take... What I do is visualize what/where I will be and for how long Then as you go over your activities break them down to actual steps and add spare everything that you can think of. My angle is to be able to be as self sufficient as possible in all aspects of your stay down there. For me it is about camping on the beach, cooking ALL my meals, fishing, kayaking and freediving. So make sure you have ALL the cooking gear, fuel stoves etc, ALL sleeping gear for cold, rain, windy and/or hot weather. Spare lures, spare lines, spare rods reels, spare car parts, tires, tools, yes and duct tape as well as JB weld, wd40, glues tapes blah blah blah. It takes time to think about all of it and invaribly you will have forgotten something I am sure but numerous trips down there will bring to mind needed items for the next trip.
Basically just fill up the truck!

Or you can just do basic planning for a car-camping trip, and then wing it.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 08:45 AM

Allwaters, you and I are polar opposites! Cooking and cleaning are two things I avoid when I am on a road trip. I don't take any food that requires cooking, or the equipment to do it.

I can get by with an ice chest and a box of dry, and canned goodies for the amount of time I spend on a beach or out in the back country. It also makes it even more of a treat when I am able find a place where people will cook for me!

My list of essential items gets smaller every year as I whittle it down from things that would be nice to have, to things that I would have to get if needed!

My truck is my tent now, since I no longer haul one of those, or a cot, or any stoves, pots, pans, cleaning supplies or extra water to do it with. Breaking camp for me consists of putting on my shoes, feeding the dog, stuffing my sleeping bag in a sack, and I am free to roam about the desert!

Obviously, this would not work out with a group, or even one more person in my rig, but I am ok with living like a homeless guy with a car for short periods of my life!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.