Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for riding partners or group to go down to Baja
TracyLisa

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 01:10 PM
Looking for riding partners or group to go down to Baja

Hello,
We are planing to ride a motorcycle down to Cabo San Lucas at the end of January from Arizona, crossing at Tecate, just husband and wife on one motorcycle. We are looking for riding partners or group to go down with. It's our first time and we feel a bit sketchy, so it would be nice to join with someone or in a group. We would like to talk to someone that has done it or has experiences down there. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Tracy 503-528-4844
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 01:21 PM

Your on street bike?
TracyLisa

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Your on street bike?

Baja:

We will be riding a 2019 New Honda Africa Twin. We intend to ride paved roads. Since this is our first Baja trip, we would sure like to ride with somebody.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 08:12 PM

Keep posting here as I see street bikes passing every day from states. I'm off road or I would tag along good luck
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 10:01 PM

just go
skip the tag along
the drive is no other than in the US
only the street signs are in Spanish and kilometers
don't ride in the dark
enjoy!

unless you really believe that you are surrounded by rapists and criminals
then you should not go

Harald Pietschmann
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 08:05 PM

Harald's advice is good.

The roads down here are in best shape ever. You still have to pay attention, watch for topes and stuff. If the cow has head down eating, OK. If head up, slow down!

Check your tires every morning/gas stop. Be able to fix a flat from a screw or nail. The rest of your bike is no problema, gas and go. Would be good if your bike has the centerstand too.

Don't know how much time you have, figure on stopping at a bunch of the cool places northbound you zoomed by/learned southbound, take notes!

Have fun! We ride XR hondas down here off highway, maybe not your cup of tea (yet), but I have blasted up and down the peninsula 2-up a bunch, great times, you will love it!
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 07:13 AM

Don't sweat it if you don't have a riding buddy. It will be a great trip. We have done it a few times on the same bike as you guys. Bring tools to fix a flat, front and rear. Patch kit as the big Honda has tubes. Extra 21 inch tube, you can make it work in the rear in a pinch. Air supply is a must.
Get pesos either from your bank before you go or exchange house in MX. Much, much easier for fuel and rooms and food. That bike has a smallish tank. Don't pass on fuel stops. Hit Gonzaga bay for fuel, then barrel fuel at the cut off for Bahia de Los Angeles.

I like beer, better than most people.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:13 AM

I don't agree on riding along. Always best to have another bike on your ride. As if you break down hit pot hole blow tire . More easy to fix it with two. Or get help as in Mexico your on your own no triple A.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:18 AM

That is good tip about 21in tube. To use front and rear but not in Mexico. 21in tube rear does not last long till it blows out. Then you have to find a rear tube good luck on that in small City. We carry stock thin get and rear tubes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 08:57 AM

It is super safe and absolutely NO reason to feel sketchy. We live down south and while we don't ride, I think you have nothing to worry about.

That being said, if you do have an issue with the motorcycle, definitely great to have another person who can help, get help!

When you are done with the trip, be sure to tell us how it went. I would love to hear about your experience as a first timer. Safe travels.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TracyLisa

[*] posted on 1-27-2020 at 06:31 PM

Thank you to all the generous folks on this site that took the time to encourage us to embark on our motorcycle ride from Mesa, AZ to Cabo San Lucas and back. We just completed our fourth day of riding and we are in Bahia de Los Angeles. Tomorrow we head to San Ignacio. We have encountered nothing but friendly and accommodating local people. We are posting trip reports each evening on our blog at: motoadventuretravel.blogspot.com.

Thank you all again for making this dream trip happen! We will do our part to convey the truth about the Mexican people. They deserve to have a much higher level of respect!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2020 at 06:35 PM

Checking out your blog...

Safe travels!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2020 at 08:40 PM

I find that traveling on a motorcycle seems to make you more approachable to others, especially in Baja. If I was doing mostly a street ride I wouldn't think twice about being solo, but all of the single track we ride is very remote and I wouldn't enjoy it solo. I would be riding so conservative that it would take the fun out. Plus I love sharing Baja with others.. I'll checkout your blog as well.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.