Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Los Hornitos
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 07:11 PM
Los Hornitos

I guess the "male " part of Conception Bay. This is what they call it on the map for the Baja Divide bike route - los hornitos. An easy to get boat will take you across from Mulege - according to other riders. Does anyone have info about this area?

Via a glance at the SAT images no development of any kind. A short ride south to the next supply stop. If worthy for another day(s) to explore I'd plan for that. Some buildings at 26.733029 -111.627856 but on the other side -eastern so I expect a massive climb over the ridge. If you look up the co-ords just nearby is what looks like a lake - bizarre. or ???

[Edited on 1-22-2020 by white whale]

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 08:19 PM

That land is called the Concepción Peninsula. There is a ranch about midway up, a fishing camp at the end, and an abandoned manganese mine on the east side, near the tip.
Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason creator) was fascinated with the peninsula and explored it in 1966.

After my little group went out there in 2016, I wrote about it here and for Baja Bound.

Let me know if you want to see what I have, posted again here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 09:54 PM

26.733029 -111.627856 is Rancho San Lino
lotsa history
but not really worth visiting

it was a stupid decision by the Baja divide people to cross over from Mulege
the ride along the beaches at Concepcion is 100 times more beautiful than the super boring drive on the east side of the bay

but that's what humans do - one guy leads and everybody follows blindly
no relation to politics intended

Harald Pietschmann
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 10:57 PM

David K - sweet info, would like to read the tales from the trip. thanks. Would love to try and hike for a few hours.

4x4: I think the route decision was probably meant to avoid the pavement as much as possible. Don't know about trails on that west side.

So Rancho San Lino- still active? and that is a lake there?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That land is called the Concepción Peninsula. There is a ranch about midway up, a fishing camp at the end, and an abandoned manganese mine on the east side, near the tip.
Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason creator) was fascinated with the peninsula and explored it in 1966.

After my little group went out there in 2016, I wrote about it here and for Baja Bound.

Well this guy - Erle Stanley Gardner - is the real deal, what a life he must have had. His wiki page is amazing. He was a writing machine. Dig deeper lo and behold his "off the beaten track in Baja" has been digitized and available on the internets library - Internet Archive. Another library card and password to get now. Even his first name gets a mention because how unique it is. Definitely had much love for Baja, he's blowing in the dust somewhere to this day.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
David K - sweet info, would like to read the tales from the trip. thanks. Would love to try and hike for a few hours.

4x4: I think the route decision was probably meant to avoid the pavement as much as possible. Don't know about trails on that west side.

My trip report there is in the Baja Extreme 2016 report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

My article about the peninsula drive: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/bahia_co...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 11:06 AM

Well this guy - Erle Stanley Gardner - is the real deal, what a life he must have had. His wiki page is amazing. He was a writing machine. Dig deeper lo and behold his "off the beaten track in Baja" has been digitized and available on the internets library - Internet Archive. Another library card and password to get now. Even his first name gets a mention because how unique it is. Definitely had much love for Baja, he's blowing in the dust somewhere to this day.

Some of Erle Stanley Gardner's Baja and Desert adventure Books:
1948:

1960:

1961:

1962:

1963:

1967:

1968:

There was one more, not in my collection called Host with a Big Hat (1969?)... Only a little about Baja. I believe Erle died in 1970?

My parents and I went to meet him at his Temecula ranch. We missed him, he had just left to Baja but did meet his wife, Jean. I think that was around 1967/68?

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 01:19 PM

No doubt you are a fan. That ranch is now in the historical society registers of Temecula. I expect he had quite an estate when he passed. Cool that you went to visit. Perry Mason is the third most published novel series - the wiki page shows behind Goosebumps and Harry Potter 300+ million copies. Says the ranch was 1000 acres and the legacy of a giant oak tree to this day.

you can hear him talk in this game show clip
https://youtu.be/kHEbSAtVOMQ

will keep my eyes open at garage sales and used bookstores for his name. A true pioneer - he used a helicopter we use our keyboards to explore.

Was never into Perry Mason, catch clips now and then on the oldies TV channel. Canadians get minor credit - Raymond Burr born in BC.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 01:38 PM

I love BTO and they're Canadian, too! LOL

The Temecula Valley Museum had a special Erle Stanley Gardner exhibit a few years ago... The now late Neal Johns, and his wife, Marian met us there with another Nomad, The Squarecircle...

From Nov. 2005:

Life size Erle Stanley Gardner and David K.

Baja Angel and Neal Johns

Warming up for a marriage in our future!

Enjoying a Squarecircle (Roy) story at lunch in Temecula is Neal and Marian Johns and Baja Angel (Elizabeth).

I also made a web page for photos from Choral Pepper, who was on several Gardner expeditions: http://vivabaja.com/choralpepper/

Choral Pepper (Desert Magazine Publisher/Editor) listens to one of Gardner's fireside stories on a Baja expedition (circa 1966).

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 03:21 PM

BTO - Takin' care of Business since.... early 70's and still gets decent play on classic rock stations here because of the Cancon requirements. So they are still getting paid. ...and more BC connections to boot. CBC radio Vinyl Tap show , plays the intro every week by the head BTO'er Randy Bachman - its his show.

The hidden heart cover - the mural painting , is that in this region? Must be protected somehow? I'm sure the most impressive ones are guarded or just known to locals.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 06:49 PM

staying off pavement is a good point

San Lino has an Estero (salt water lake)
the ranch seems to be active plus another rancho about 2 miles south-east (have no name for that one)

Harald Pietschmann
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 07:24 PM

I loved some of the Earle Stanley Gardner/ Jimmy Smith stories in Jimmys’ book. Drank a few beers with Jimmy on our porch in the east cape and figured out I used to fuel his Piper Cub when he was flying pipeline patrol and I was about eleven years old. We are starting to run out of those old Baja legends, stay healthy DK your almost there.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 10:25 PM

Believe me, I was a young guy until last year, lol! It happens fast.
I want to continue to be the bridge between the pre-pavement generation and today's Baja travelers who think of Cabo as a 2 day drive vs a 2 week one!
I have been blessed with getting my bucket list fulfilled. I still have a lost grave/ rock pile to find and one mission to visit.

You are young (people live to 90 nowadays, with health care - let’s not talk about those trying to take away our health care])

You are retired and got nothing but free time

Why aren’t you in baja full time? Camping is cheap

Why don’t you hike the ECR? The physical activity will make you healthier. Hiking is cheap.

[Edited on 1-23-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2020 at 12:32 PM

This is what they call it on the map for the Baja Divide bike route - los hornitos. An easy to get boat will take you across from Mulege - according to other riders. Does anyone have info about this area?

Haven't seen that bike map. There is "Punta Hornitos" at the North tip of the peninsula with the coordinates different from what you provided. Anyway... there is nothing there worth seeing. Muddy bluffs, shallow sandy beach, local fishermen with (illegal) nets. Manganese mine ruins are on the North side of the peninsula in the place called Punta Pilares and are equally unimpressive, with pebble beach.

IMO, there is nothing created by humans on the entire Concepcion peninsula that is worth seeing.

[Edited on 1-26-2020 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2020 at 02:39 PM

The pictographs in Arroyo los Pintados were man-made and an attraction written about in other books, after Erle Stanley Gardner's. I think old mines are interesting, too... I was hoping to see it in 2016, but we couldn't get through so soon after a chubasco hit the area.

Baja has something for everybody and that (driving the Concepción Peninsula) was just one more item to check off the 'Baja bucket list'...

Edited to correct terminology, thank you Baja Buddha. I have not been there and did not see what kind of rock art it was. 'The facts' are what is important!

[Edited on 1-26-2020 by David K]

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-26-2020 at 03:20 PM

I spent most of my time on Concepcion, and the 'far side' or 'otro lado' is as magical as anywhere else in Baja. Alm's "IMO" is just that; mine says there's lots of 'man made stuff' over there worth poking around for, especially the pictographs in Pintura canyon, taken dozens of people over to see 'em.

There's also an old abandoned house (I believe it was called 'Peppermint Patty's' or some such) about half way up from the bottom. The old ranchero that's in the mouth of a canyon about 2/3rds of the way up has wonderful springs up a side canyon hike. A large cove about the same place has a good mooring for sails, a steep drop off at the point of the cove, and good shore fishing there.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2020 at 03:35 PM

Relax, BB.
The beauty of springs, sheltered coves and fishing has nothing to do with humans - it exists despite our presence.

Pictographs, alright. If you're into this kind of art. At least, tribes at that level didn't build anything ugly...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2020 at 04:11 PM

:rolleyes: I'm very relaxed, alm. Just like the fly said standing on a mirror, "It's another way of looking at it".

BTW, the pictograph gig wasn't about anything you wrote. :coolup:

[Edited on 1-26-2020 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2020 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I spent most of my time on Concepcion, and the 'far side' or 'otro lado' is as magical as anywhere else in Baja. Alm's "IMO" is just that; mine says there's lots of 'man made stuff' over there worth poking around for, especially the pictographs in Pintura canyon, taken dozens of people over to see 'em.

There's also an old abandoned house (I believe it was called 'Peppermint Patty's' or some such) about half way up from the bottom. The old ranchero that's in the mouth of a canyon about 2/3rds of the way up has wonderful springs up a side canyon hike. A large cove about the same place has a good mooring for sails, a steep drop off at the point of the cove, and good shore fishing there.

Bud - the description sounds great. I assume this Pintura Canyon is only known to Baja regulars to this peninsula. Springs too? I'd be happy to hike to a summit point. It's tough to gauge from a photo how steep and elevation numbers involved. On the SAT images you see many washout spots at the sea edge with what seems to be trails higher up leading from them. Would these just be the dry runoff portions?

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 1-30-2020 at 04:54 PM

Pintura canyon is no secret, it's noted on many different Baja maps of the peninsula. It's about a mile and a half up from where the road turns north after you cross the southern flats. However, the turn-off eastward from the main northern road is a bugger to find, easily missed. It goes in (eastward) also about a mile and a half, good to have 4x4 to get to the mouth of the canyon.

Once at the mouth, some people (lazy?) tend to keep driving up the canyon wash; do-able but not recommended. when you get to the mouth of the canyon park (so others may pass) and walk the rest of the way; you'll see dozens more pictographs all the way to the rock fall, in about 3/4 of a mile. I've climbed above it and followed the upper canyon quite a ways; no more rock art above the rock fall. We'd always pack a cooler with cold ones and some snacks for the after-hike ooh and ahh session (and lawn chairs).

The ranchero with the springs is farther up the east road.... I'd say at least another 5 - 6 miles past Pintura canyon. It's marked as 'San Ignacio' on my Baja Almanac. it's about a mile or so off the east road as well, the track to it is more defined than Pintura's. Goes up a long alluvial fan to the base of the mountains, a large open canyon behind it. Haven't been there in many years, dunno what shape it's in now. Used to was, good poking around territory. There was a spring seep, large concrete stock tanks full of water back when.

Word to the wise; if there has been any precipitation in the area within the last two weeks of your trip, DO NOT try to cross the mud flats at the south end of the bay..... many a good 4x4 has been mired out there for a looooong time right up to the frame. If it looks greasy at all, it is. And bottomless.

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.