BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Gotta buy my kid his first truck, suggestions?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 11:54 PM

What is it with Americans that they think they have to buy their kids vehicles? Teens and young adults take much better care of things they have to work to earn the money for.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 11:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
What is it with Americans that they think they have to buy their kids vehicles? Teens and young adults take much better care of things they have to work to earn the money for.

Sorry to hear that your dad didn't love you.

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 01:31 AM

Buying high ticket items for your kids has nothing to do with love.

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by JZ][/rquote]

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by surabi]

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 04:48 AM

The kid has prob never had a real job.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 04:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Sorry to hear that your dad didn't love you.

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by JZ]

Jizz,
Money can’t buy you love.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 06:20 AM

Passport was found in front yard down the street, posted on next door app, and recovered. whoo hoo! Real del Castillo here I come.

Nuthin wrong with helping a kid out, my parents paid my tuition through 4 years of college (Back then was a total of $15,000 for 4 years) and I graduated debt free and now am in a position to help them. They also got me a car, at age of 19, a used Chevy Vega. Put a hole in the oil pan and fried the engine. Then they got me used Yellow Volkswagon Dasher, which lasted until I was supporting myself. I did work part time and summers for spending money. I would say the moral is don't go overboard with a really nice vehicle cause he will probably wreck it, get something used, boxy and underpowered with lots of air bags, like an Explorer or Izuzu. And no locking tailgate!

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by bajaric]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 08:53 AM

So glad you got your passport back!!!

I was very lucky to have a dad who supported my Baja-addiction! My first car was a street-legal dune buggy (Meyers Manx VW) my parents bought, which I drove to Baja after I turned 16... but soon it had issues. Before my 18th birthday, my dad bought me a new Jeep Cherokee Chief (1975) as a graduation present and more practical/ reliable Baja vehicle. Sadly, it was not reliable and nearly everything failed (it's a 'Jeep thing')... After two years I sold it, and for what I sold it for I could buy a new 4WD Subaru wagon. Now, that WAS a reliable vehicle and I drove the hell out of it all over Baja, including to Gonzaga Bay in 1979 well before the original 'goat trail' was replaced with a graded roadbed! It was the first of three 4WD Subarus I owned ('77, '80, '86).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 11:03 AM

I bought my son three trucks between age 16-20. He went into the Army and got married at 22 and I bought him a new Toyota truck for a wedding present. Boys and trucks go together. Lots of motorcycles and ATVs too, can't have too many toys.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 03:29 PM

JZ

I have a 2006 Taco I have beat the crap out of in the bush in Canada. Not fancy but we’ll maintained. Find a truck like that. Your son will learn to pull wrenches and get some “man training” . My boys had fixer uppers and it was good for them.

MC
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 06:46 PM

Bought a real "barn find" VW dune buggy (it was actually in a horse barn) from my dad's friend for $200 just before my 16th birthday (1974). Fixed it up, got it running well, and registered it. Mom hated it, figured I'd kill myself. Drove it for 6 months (rainstorms and freezing weather), then mom said she'd match me with whatever I sold that "menace" for to get a "real" car. Sold the dune buggy for $600 to a fellow worker at Safeway, took the $1200 (+another $500) and bought a 1971 VW van which I drove for another 15 years, from Canada to Cabo. That van went everywhere and anywhere.

Now I've had two Rangers and could not be happier. Don't really miss those valve adjustments and the occasional engine rebuilds.

John

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-20-2020 at 07:14 PM

I had a paper route when I was twelve, started working retail part time all through high school, so I had enough money to buy a nice car.

Because my dad was concerned about the liability a minor in his house could bring against his property, he would not allow me to buy a car until I turned 18 and had my own insurance!

He did let me and my brother take turns using his car though, but not whenever we felt like it.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Bought a real "barn find" VW dune buggy (it was actually in a horse barn) from my dad's friend for $200 just before my 16th birthday (1974). Fixed it up, got it running well, and registered it. Mom hated it, figured I'd kill myself. Drove it for 6 months (rainstorms and freezing weather), then mom said she'd match me with whatever I sold that "menace" for to get a "real" car. Sold the dune buggy for $600 to a fellow worker at Safeway, took the $1200 (+another $500) and bought a 1971 VW van which I drove for another 15 years, from Canada to Cabo. That van went everywhere and anywhere.

Now I've had two Rangers and could not be happier. Don't really miss those valve adjustments and the occasional engine rebuilds.

John

Sounds like we were in the same years with our VW dune buggies?
Mine was made as an off road race buggy originally we were told. It had a roll cage and turning brakes. The next use was for a Baja trip by the previous owner. They added a roof, with a rack for gear, and removable side curtains for bad weather. When we got it, we towed it to Baja for a couple of trips for excursions as my dad sold his 4x4. When I turned 16, it became my car for school and Baja trips. I rebuilt the engine, with a big bore kit (1650cc) and a couple other mods.

From 1974, Nuevo Mazatlan and the road south of San Felipe (all that camping gear I could pack onto the buggy)...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 11:22 AM

Get your kid a Dodge Ram 700! You can't buy them in the US, but it is a little mini truck with a Ram logo on it so your kid's friends won't laugh at him for driving a Fiat.
https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ram-700.html

I know....it probably wouldn't work out for him. Besides not being able to register it in California, I can't find a 4x4 option, and 1.6L is a bit puny for an engine.

It is cute though, and might be fun to drive within the limitations of a front wheel drive with a locking differential!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
... 2006 Taco... Find a truck like that. Your son will learn to pull wrenches and get some “man training” . My boys had fixer uppers and it was good for them.

ok, boomer: the world is changing, and IC engines are going the way of the dodo bird. get your kid a tesla. learn how to turn a wrench on a engine technology that is the way of the future and not a technology quickly going extinct.
and, teslas got way more cool factor than a dirty old pickup truck :cool::cool::cool:

tesla model 3 is reasonably priced...

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 12:12 PM

Electric cars don't go vroom vroom... no American teenage heterosexual male wants one to pick up chicks with!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Sounds like we were in the same years with our VW dune buggies?

Mine was built on a 1962 chassis, color was metal flake orange like yours and looked very similar. Mine was more of a street buggy. Only the 40hp motor with a dual Cherry Bomb muffler exhaust system and K&N filter. Balloon tires all around. Probably would have been good in the sand.

John

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 12:58 PM

It was pretty amazing where it would go... the Gonzaga Grades south of Puertecitos as well as the deep sand beaches were never a problem.
I had big flotation tires for the back.

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by David K]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.