BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "THE BEE MAN" Eliodoro Arce
MOTHERSHIP

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 07:46 PM
"THE BEE MAN" Eliodoro Arce

Ivan and myself head down to Baja for another adventure.

Destination...the "PALAPA ROOM" as it is affectionately known. Eliodoros casita. (29*07'47"N-114*02'55"W)

Eliodoro is guiding us to another prospecting area, he was a gold prospector his entire life. He worked at the Desengano hardrock mine. His specialty was the blasting boss. Serious work.

We set up camp near El Crucero for another life lesson.

This trip after morning coffee at sunrise he told us "we are going to forage some honey today". What the heck ! Honey in the middle of the desert ???

Eliodoro finds a cardon with some bees flying around.

BINGO !

Puts on his denim jacket and lights a cigarette. Takes out his knife and proceeds to carve a hole in the side of the cactus. It's just big enough for his hand to enter the hole.

Eliodoro came prepared with a large plastic mayonnaise container. He proceeds to fill it with honey, honeycomb and the occasional unlucky bee ! The whole time he is puffing on his cigarette to keep the bees at bay.

It was amazing to see an 80 year old man work like it was "business as usual". Eliodoro plugs up the hole with some rocks and tells me remember this place for next time.

He was always respectful of his surroundings and we felt him teaching us without having to say it.

He points to the canyons that we explored the day before and says "go to work". I will have stew ready for you when you get back to my casita...but Eliodoro it's 10 miles to your place as the crow flys !

He looks at us and shakes his head (10 miles is a walk around the block for me, he probably mutters to himself).

Ivan and I work the day and are wondering if he made it back safely.

Of coarse he did !

Pulling up to his dwelling he waves and says "Cafe cafe".

Hot carne seca stew and cafe for dinner...another day in Baja with the "Legend"

To be continued...

[Edited on 1-24-2020 by MOTHERSHIP]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 07:52 PM

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more.:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 07:59 PM

Good job Mando, you are a natural storyteller... encore, encore!!!

Mando's first post in the Eliodoro Arce thread by Nomad 'pnile' was a great introduction to the kind of stories MOTHERSHIP can share! We also hope to hear more from pnile:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93323

Quote: Originally posted by MOTHERSHIP  
CAFE ! CAFE !

It's only fitting starting out that greeting. Those were the first words Eliodoro uttered every time we pulled up to his casita. Didn't matter what time of day it was...there was always a pot of coffee on the embers. That was and will always be the best "cowboy coffee" around !

Eliodoro was many things...most of all he was in tune with life.

A minimalist. He showed Ivan and myself that less is more.

Not because he lived alone...he had many "friends". The coyote who would sit close to us during morning cafe and the little bird who would perch on his shoulder. Time spent with him was always a treat.

I would like to share these adventures of Eliodoro so that he will never be forgotten.

Mando

[Edited on 1-24-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:07 PM

Awesome story, no pictures? So cool...
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:10 PM

A day in the life.....

Just fantastico ,,,, Bravo !!!!!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:39 PM

Great story Mondo! So good to see you on line. Miss you my friend!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2020 at 08:56 PM

Thank you Mando for sharing your adventures with "the Bee Man" as Herman used to call him too. I can see in my mind the photo of him that Herman kept on top of his microwave oven. Herman would share some of his honey with me. It was so thick and good, bee parts and all. I do hope you share more of your memories.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 24-1-2020 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 08:19 AM

What a unique and very special Baja experience. WIWT
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 09:39 AM
Mando the MOTHERSHIP's Photos

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Awesome story, no pictures? So cool...

Sent last night, and dates added this morning...

Luz de Mexico, 1998 [ELIODORO CAMPING WITH US (DUG A HOLE TO SLEEP BELOW THE WIND...SEE THE PIECE OF METAL STANDING UP AT THE FAR END OF CAMP)]

El Crucero, 1997 [ELIODORO & IVAN]

Coco's Corner, 1996 (Coco & Ivan... Mando's gut is on the left of Coco!)

Luz de Mexico, 1998 ["Blue Tent Diggings"]

Santo Tomás, 2000 [MAKE SURE THE RIG IS STABLE BEFORE JACKING UP]

Eliodoro's casita, 1999 [Flying Kites...Eliodoro looked at us like we were nuts ! Miss that man !]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 10:09 AM

Great story and great pictures. Thanks for sharing both.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2020 at 10:32 AM
More (first three orig. posted in the other Eliodoro thread)

Eliodoro looking for "color" in his riffle tray.

Eliodoro near El Crucero.

Jim Garlock "El Bigote" and Eliodoro at El Crucero.

Jim is the co-author of this exciting book.

The Gang in 1993 at Parador Punta Prieta RV park:
Ricky Gallego, Ivan, Jean, Mothership, Sam Radding, and Jim Garlock (El Bigote).

*Notice Sam's Chevy van in the background with the canoe on top (open side up). There is a great story coming from MOTHERSHIP about that canoe!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2023 at 04:17 PM

Have a look at this new page I made to honor the memory of an old prospector who touched the heart of all who knew him, Eliodoro Arce of El Desengaño y Tinaja de Yubay: https://vivabaja.com/eliodoro/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.