Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving in La Paz today! UPDATE 2/18
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 03:06 PM
Driving in La Paz today! UPDATE 2/18

What a mess! There are roads torn up everywhere, and it looks like utility work, not road repair. With all the detours through neighborhoods of obscure, or missing signs, one way streets and dead ends, you can't rely on either paper maps, or digital directions to get across town! The worst stretch was the road toward the Malecon.

The highpoint for me, was that right in the area that I have been shaken down twice for a mordida, I ran a four way stop where I did not see a sign.

I did it right in front of a Municipal Police car, who was rolling through the other direction. He got behind me and pulled me over!

In terrible broken Spanish, I tried to apologize and acknowledge that I screwed up. In broken English (better than my Spanish) he confirmed that I screwed up, and gave me a warning, that next time it would be a fine!

A good outcome, and it did make me much more vigilant as I ran the gauntlet of detours on my way to the east side of town and back!

Edit; does this belong here, or in road conditions?

[Edited on 2-18-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 04:16 PM

Maybe in Trip Reports? If Doug wants to, he can move it.
Thanks for the update on your experiences.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 04:29 PM

You're not in Alaska anymore, Dorothy! Have fun and drive carefully, those hidden stop signs are worse than the topes.

John
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 04:36 PM

Lucky you! La Paz is great.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 06:29 PM

half the construction is finished now - you should have seen (driven) it then. All part of the gov effort to make La Paz more attractive to tourists. Ha!

Harald Pietschmann
DBaja
Junior Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 07:25 PM

I was just through there last week myself, what an adventure. I quickly realized the paralleling side streets were the way to go.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 07:31 PM

Yes, driving in La Paz these days is frustrating. They are repaving (actually concreting) many of the intersections - just the intersections, not the whole street. It changes every few weeks as they move around the city.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 09:37 PM

upside of blocked streets is walking the malecon is great
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-29-2020 at 09:59 PM

can't take away saturday cruise night from these kids!:D
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
half the construction is finished now - you should have seen (driven) it then. All part of the gov effort to make La Paz more attractive to tourists. Ha!

And the Govt told you this!? It has nothing to do with repairing an aging infrastructure like in all city's? Its only to help tourism.
Maybe when you get enough money from your "go (out of La Paz) fund me" campaign, the road will be smoother for your exit.
All you do is sit and beat up this city. Just get a bus ride out of here since you dislike it so much.

Construction happens everywhere dude. It sucks, but deal with it and move on. in your case move out!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 07:48 AM

The Malecon is beautiful, the sidewalks and promenade are showcase and there is a skatepark and bmx park and exercise gear and wheel chair access that has been enjoyed by everyone, including dogs, skateboarders,, rollerbladers, bikes and so forth, but after many recent complaints about the chaos, apparently by mothers of young children who feel its dangerous for their kids, there is a new enforcement to say no dogs, no bikes, no skating on the sidewalk! Let's see how long that lasts!!! Though it appears to be uncertain, there is designated lanes and spaces for each activity, so hard to say since there are many advocates for all different purposes, it seems at the moment there will simply be admonishment for rude or dangerous behaviors and threats of fines, but more focus on general safety and discussion about how to manage the space and perhaps new regulations in the future. Headsup, use the appropriate lane for your designated activity following symbols for each sport jajaja. wooohoo

If you get hit in the head by a volleyball its probably because you walked across the volleyball area!

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/ayuntamiento-la-paz-quiere-poner-...

[Edited on 1-31-2020 by gnukid]
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 11:15 AM

lol the streets are tore the hell up down there right now, even worse than usual

damn good tacos though and the new malecon is beautiful!

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 12:01 PM
UPDATE 2/18

I drove from Centennario to Tecolote on Sunday using the Malecon and Pequilinge road.

There were no detours or construction delays! There is road work being done on the east side of town, so mid week there may be delays, but good to go on Sunday!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 12:31 PM

It'll al be perfect for Carnaval they said!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
The Malecon is beautiful, the sidewalks and promenade are showcase and there is a skatepark and bmx park and exercise gear and wheel chair access that has been enjoyed by everyone, including dogs, skateboarders,, rollerbladers, bikes and so forth, but after many recent complaints about the chaos, apparently by mothers of young children who feel its dangerous for their kids, there is a new enforcement to say no dogs, no bikes, no skating on the sidewalk! Let's see how long that lasts!!! Though it appears to be uncertain, there is designated lanes and spaces for each activity, so hard to say since there are many advocates for all different purposes, it seems at the moment there will simply be admonishment for rude or dangerous behaviors and threats of fines, but more focus on general safety and discussion about how to manage the space and perhaps new regulations in the future. Headsup, use the appropriate lane for your designated activity following symbols for each sport jajaja. wooohoo

If you get hit in the head by a volleyball its probably because you walked across the volleyball area!

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/ayuntamiento-la-paz-quiere-poner-...

[Edited on 1-31-2020 by gnukid]
It was pretty sad to see them rip out all that old Saltillo tile but I have to admit the new malecon is beautiful.

In Memory of E-57
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 07:39 AM

So, let me get this right, the malecon has changed? Can someone post some photos?!

I bet they had the pressure on them to finish for Carnaval. I believe it starts tomorrow.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 09:39 PM
wish'n

AK,
How you doing. I only wish I got pulled over in La Paz..
I'd pay the fine.
We will be down next week to Lorerto....

Marty / Shawna [ grass valley glass]

see ya.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 07:29 AM

We were just in La Paz. Still, a lot of construction but it's a beautiful city and even better than I remembered from our last visit in 2003. We will have to spend more time there next year.

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 11:56 AM

Happens everywhere in Mesicko. In Hermosillo a few years back I swear it took me 45 minutes to navigate around road work to get to the Mex16 from our hotel. No detour signs anywhere. Nothing but dead ends, road blocks, and ditches.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.