Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo to La Rumorosa grade
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2020 at 07:50 PM
Cabo to La Rumorosa grade

Did half a road trip and my son did the other half. He left Encinitas on Dec 24, I joined him Jan 4th in Cabo. We were styling at the Sheraton for three days, then he flew home. I slowly went north, spending 2 days in La Paz, then Todos Santos, Loreto, San Ignacio, LA Bay, San Felipe, then back to Encinitas. I`ll add more details later. This video was sent to me from google photos and I didn`t edit. I already know the oil change in La Paz was a little much but so be it!!! Here you go---

https://youtu.be/ufigSXv-Ouc

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 09:25 AM

That was an excellent video! I could also feel the "Toyota Love" you have.

I refuse to use 0-20 and will force myself to 10-30 after so many years of Castrol GTX 20-50 in my VWs and Subarus! LOL

José is growing a quite a beard (at San Borja)!

I also stayed at Casa Diaz during my 2017 mapping expeditions... the first time since my family and I did in 1967... Not much changed other than having hot water anytime and not just after the sun heated the roof tank!

Thank you... and is a detailed trip report in our future???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 01:47 PM

Thanks for sharing! It is good to see familiar places.

And motor oil? I saw Mobile 25w-60w at Walmart in La Paz today, 5 liters for 399 pesos!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 02:11 PM

You should remember newer car engines are built tighter and need the thinner oil. That's why they will last 300,000 or more miles. Do what the Mfd suggest. You need to know that if you use other than what the Mfd suggest and you have a problem you could void your warranty.
Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 08:21 PM

On another thread I think it was Motoged who said that 0W - 20W oil is OK if you use synthetic oil.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 09:36 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I left it up to the pros to tell me what I needed for the oil change. El hefe pulled out a very thick reference guide to show me the 2014 FJ Cruiser, recommend oil was 0-20 synthetic oil. Put 5 and 1/2 quarts in there and gave me the leftover 1/2 quart.
Few details-- 5 stars for the Sheritan Los Cabos. After 3 nights there and 2 nights at the Concha in La Paz I went to a 1 star dump in Todos Santos for 1,000 pesos a night (Mirador). Then it was on to the Tripui south of Loreto for around $70. I love this place but the upstairs was being worked on so I got the bottom floor without the beautiful views. Love the mountains there and the bay, Cauasualy left Loreto, and settled in San Ignacio at the Fong which was a glorified closet with wifi. Fine for me, about $400 pesos?
To be continued----

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 10:00 AM

Great video, Bornfisher!

Wow, brought back a lot of great memories! Thanks!

La Concha and the Cortez Club....I used to dive and fish a lot out of there!

And Tripui...I haven't been back in years. Did it recover from the big fire years ago?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.