Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: URGENT: Broken Timing Chain in Guerre Negro, need suggestions
bobbyjames

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:00 AM
URGENT: Broken Timing Chain in Guerre Negro, need suggestions

car at a shop, loaded as I am moving to La Paz...
looking for a person to load the car and take it to la paz...any ideas?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:13 AM

Either way you need a place to stay for the night, can you get towed by rope to a hotel, Cowboy or Malarimo or other spot to strategize and secure your stuff, likely it will take a few days to setup the tow. Nomads can recommend more secure place, I think Cowboy has gated parking?

Talk Baja has many tow people referenced - I would guess flat bed tow truck is US$1000-2000 and US$1000 to pull the motor and replace the timing chain though it could be much cheaper depending on find the parts and reliable mechanic there in GN - could be just $US200-300 but timing chain failure often results in damage to motor requiring rebuilt motor and many parts or new/used motor.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/search/?query=tow&a...

What kind of car? Specific model/year/motor?

Is the motor damaged? Did it throw a rod? If not, it's not the parts can perhaps be delivered to a mechanic fix it there to drop the motor and replace the timing chain and gear, the parts can be delivered by bus if they are not there? I can look for timing chain and gear and gaskets for you in La Paz?

Towing it requires a flat bed trailer, truck or proper dolly, that depends on the vehicle type?

[Edited on 1-31-2020 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:16 AM

No experience with any of these people but they do towing/moving in Baja

Terry Curtis Any Questions ? Need Help ? ☎️ Call us 612 688 1533 🚛612 688 1533 todossantosmail@gmail.com

MexUSA All Over
Need help moving to Mexico serving all Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Felipe , Puerto Peñasco all California, Nevada and Arizona .. Based here in San Diego we also offer local mover .. call text or msj here today for a quote 619-634-8963 Danny

Buck Baker https://www.facebook.com/buck.baker.33

Francisco Salvatierra
Towing services from DJ pescadero to quote the service
612 167 8235
(I'm guessing this is Mexican phone so dial accordingly)

Gruas LA Paz https://www.facebook.com/grua.la.paz/
Gabriel Fernandez Higuera
612 108 5248

Econo Gruas La Paz
Raul Cota
612 108 3199

Baja Powerhouse
http://www.bajapowerhouse.com
646 160 2454

Gruas Rentalo
612 108 5248

[Edited on 1-31-2020 by gnukid]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:41 AM

If there isn't a flat bed in GN, I'd look for one in Santa Rosalia or La Paz.

Got to be one in La Paz.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:47 AM

Baja has great mechanics, surely someone can fix it in Guerrero Negro?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarickster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 10:56 AM

hey Bob, looks like you're getting some response. i'm still looking here in La Paz but with the Dia De Candlearia holiday this weekend, it's going to be tough. it's a 3 day event so relax and have some atole and tamales with the locals and go whale watching. we'll figure something out
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 12:22 PM

A broken timing chain is death to most engines as they are interference engines. That means if the pistons and valves are out of time, they will impact each other.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 12:44 PM

I think he just wants to get his car to La Paz so he can deal with it there.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
I think he just wants to get his car to La Paz so he can deal with it there.

true but its a non interference engine it would make sense to have it repaired in GN......either way good luck and happy motoring:D
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 02:58 PM

If it was me I would have it repaired in GN and save the towing charge. GN is an industrial town with lots of mechanic shops. You won't have any trouble there finding a reputable shop to repair it.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 04:27 PM
Call Shari for mechanic recommendation

Shari at Bahia Asuncion I know has recommended good mechanics in either Guerrero Negro or Vizciano.

US Phone - 619-906-8438
Mex phone - 615-155-7197 ( do not have the prefix readily available)

John M
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2020 at 04:51 PM

Just get it fixed. Towing presents a whole 'nother set of problems.

Probably cheaper to get it fixed than to get it towed. It's a LONG way to La Pax.

Don't freak out. Just get a decent room to stay in, secure parking and get it sorted out.

People here are very decent and will happy to help you and earn a buck or two helping you. They work for such modest amounts, you have nothing to fear - like dealing with a mechanic shop in the USA where real robbery occurs daily.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 10:30 AM

Enjoy GN,
Malarimo Restaurant Hotel could arrange a longer term solution, you lock your stuff up while seeing what this will cost
If you’re lucky the price of the avoided tow will pay off with Whale watching, good food and one more Baja adventure
Lionel :cool:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 11:54 AM

I should arrive in GN Friday evening so stay in touch and let me know if you have this resolved by then.

In Memory of E-57
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 12:58 PM

another one of those posts where many members dig up collective knowledge to help - but the OP disappears into thin air after the first post

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 01:42 PM

More unsolicited collective knowledge; an interference engine will probably need at least repairs to the cylinder head, but possibly not!

I spun a few teeth off of the timing belt 0n a 2.0L Kia engine, so it went out of timing with the camshafts still all linked together. Major damage, $1200 dollar repair!

The most recent timing belt damage was to another Kia, same engine. This one broke straight across, so the valves were able to be pushed back up without being linked into an intact belt.

We put a new belt on it and did a compression test before going into removing the cylinder head. One cylinder was ten PSI lower than the others, so we put it back together with relatively minor labor costs, and it runs fine.

I know the OP didn't ask for this, but hey...we can talk!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 03:26 PM

Another solution..... a short haul down to Viscaino.
I always thought, it I had a serious vehicle breakdown that would be the place to get it fixed
That town is just one great big automotive repair shop.....

And I too am wondering where the OP has gone.....
"Gone With the Wind" I guess....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobbyjames  
car at a shop, loaded as I am moving to La Paz...
looking for a person to load the car and take it to la paz...any ideas?

Urgent?? To me that means there's some bleeding or something is on fire. A timing chain is marginally qualified for that label.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 07:04 PM

I just got back from the lagoon...if you need a secure place to put stuff I have it as I am in Guerrero Negro. Chepe is an epic trustworthy mechanic and can at least tell you what you might do and he would know about flat beds etc too.
my number is 615 155 7197 or find me at Hotel Baja Oasis in the late afternoons & evenings

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
If it was me I would have it repaired in GN and save the towing charge. GN is an industrial town with lots of mechanic shops. You won't have any trouble there finding a reputable shop to repair it.

Could be a great place to apply 'the Mexican solution', find a matching wrecked vehicle and just switch engines out ...... though you may want to service the TC on the replacement!** ;)

....**... though a trained eye can confirm a TC change was 'likely' done or not, by looking for tool wear in on the bolts involved. That was the judgement given to my current ride, a '99 Sienna.

[Edited on 2-3-2020 by micah202]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.