Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: tipping
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 08:11 AM
tipping

Hi,

Any rules about tipping so as not to look too cheap or too foolish?
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 08:12 AM

10% according to locals. High end places 15-20

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 08:32 AM

And always always tip the grocery bagger...they work only for tips and many are elderly. 5-10-20 pesos is fine.

The guys who pump the gas, no, except if they wash the windows, and 10 pesos is fine.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 09:09 AM

I always tip baggers and gas pumpers. I tip servers. I try to be generous in a country with people who could use a little extra cash.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 09:13 AM

Tipping is good. Spread the love.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 09:22 AM

A couple of years ago, I wound up with five or six cactus spines in my side wall, right where a patch would not work (for very long anyway).

A tire guy in Los Barriles dug out a used inner tube and got me on my way without having to find a matching tire! At a 20/1 exchange rate, a hundred peso tip seemed right to me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Suntan

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 09:37 AM

I recently Read the Mexican legislature was trying to raise their minimum wage to around $6.25 PER DAY. Some are making much more and some are working under the minimum wage. Tipping will bring a smile and will show the workers you appreciate them. In the sum total of a visit to Mexico your tips will be a small part of your total visit. Enjoy Mexico and don't be afraid to give a generous tip.
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 12:08 PM

Thanks. Didn't know about the baggers. I didn't shop much last time I went through, but I'll pay more attention this time.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 08:03 AM

The percentage of a tip is directly proportional to the percentage of gringos in the area. Just ask someone that has lived in La Ventana or Los Barriles for 10 yrs. or more.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:06 AM

Tips in most all sit down eat places only go to owner bad deal. I at least put tip in waiter hand hoping he will keep it. Tips in high end places worker still only gets min wage . Not cool worker does not get tips. I did in fact ask owners I know why worker does not get tip. Was told gringos leave big tips not for worker's. So on my normal places I told owners I won't leave tip unless worker gets it. All said ok but who knows
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:17 AM

I tip:
The guy watching my car a Walmart/Soriana/etc
The gas guy but only if he washes my windshield
Waiters at small mom & pop places
The band/entertainment at dance halls.
The toilet paper person at the Pemex
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:42 AM

Sounds like Italy.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:51 AM

When in any foreign country , you should tip as the locals do.

Gringo's that bring their traditions along with them to foreign Countries ruin the uniqueness of said country..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:57 AM

I agree completely, which is why I asked the question.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 11:06 AM

Yes, I got scolded by a local I was dining with, when I left a 20% tip!

The food and service were great, I had a good experience, the bill was very low, and I have compassion for self-employed people & small businesses, who do a good job.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, I got scolded by a local I was dining with, when I left a 20% tip!

The food and service were great, I had a good experience, the bill was very low, and I have compassion for self-employed people & small businesses, who do a good job.

You did the right thing.

Locals, as well as gringoes, sometimes come from scarcity. And propriety.

I tip when I get gas. If my windshield needs cleaning, I ask to have it done or do it myself. Usually, the attendant will see me and step in. When I read someone write that they don't tip if their windshield isn't cleaned, it comes across as cheap. Like wanting to make a statement for .50 cents. Class.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 01:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Suntan  
In the sum total of a visit to Mexico your tips will be a small part of your total visit. Enjoy Mexico and don't be afraid to give a generous tip.

You seem to be under the impression that all foreigners in Mexico are "visiting". Many of us live here full time. Some of us even work here, legally, and earn money in pesos, not dollars. When tourists over-tip, trying to make themselves feel and look like good guys, it screws things up for those who live here, as the locals come to expect those kinds of tips from all foreigners.
The first response to this post was right on. 10% is standard and not cheap. If you get exceptional service, or are eating at some high-end place, then more is probably warranted and expected.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 06:57 AM

Story might be dated and was actually on mainland;

Service worker having a beer with me one day on the beach told me, "Americans tip the best, Germans less so, French not at all."

Midnight table full of drunk travelers from one of those circuit camping vans out of US... A little loud through the walls of our VW bus in same campground in jungle; Approaching their table I saw they were passing around bottles of tequila and near naked in the relatively cooler night air. Standing and observing for a moment, I heard a Frenchman claiming loudly that the US is a piggish country in their wealth and should give more money to the world.

I pulled out my wallet from my back pocket and threw it on the table saying, "Go ahead take what you want because that's where that money you demand comes from". The table went silent. I retrieved my wallet and said, "That's what I thought. Your talk is insulting and by the way loud".

The next morning they were all hungover and seriously eaten up by the musko's they didn't feel feasting on their tequila numb unclothed bodies. None of them looked me in the eyes.
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 09:27 AM

Whether to tip and how much to tip is not innate knowledge, and I doubt that most foreigners over tip just to make themselves feel better and superior.

Unless you live in a country, speak its language, and are familiar with its customs, you cannot possibly understand its intricacies. In which case you bring your own county's customs with you when you travel. If we travelers err, it would be preferable to be calmly corrected than to be universally denigrated by those that live there.

Ray
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vespaio  
I doubt that most foreigners over tip just to make themselves feel better and superior.

Correct! The following example is not a lone experience but one I had at three places (ordering the same dish) on different trips in 2017:

I consider a tip as a gift or reward for good service and believe this kind of reward will help that kind of service to continue into the future. As a gift, I often wish I could do more. It is a struggle for some of these 'way-out' cafes to feed travelers. I want them to stay in in business. They are limited on their prices as the local population won't eat if too high. When I am served a huge dinner of fresh halibut (3 filets) and sides, and only charged $6-10, you bet I am going to reward them for the good meal, the service, and to hope they can stay in business for next time! Shame on any tourist who leaves only a 60 cent to dollar tip! [I used pesos, but converting to a value we all know]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.