BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Ventana/Los Planes to Los Barriles on the coast road, Feb 14
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 10:18 AM
La Ventana/Los Planes to Los Barriles on the coast road, Feb 14

Since I am driving a slightly larger vehicle this trip (1999 Isuzu Trooper) my dog can ride in the back seat, and there is room up front for anyone who wants to take pictures, record way points, KM markers and such. Otherwise, you will get just my impression of road conditions, and I hope they are useful.

I have been accustomed to washed out stretches of this road in the past, mainly on the steeper slopes. This year they are not particularly worse, but way more extensive than in prior years.

Traction is not really an issue, I never needed four wheel drive, or low range, but wheel placement is critical in some of the very narrow spots. I did not high center, but there is a whole lot of exposed bed rock, and I am sure it was close in a few places.

I hate airing down, then back up for a short stretch of road that I can just take my time on, but this time I think lower pressure and low range would have made a more enjoyable passage.

I encountered no traffic of any kind until well into the section parallel to that great expanse of beach north of El Cardonal.

[Edited on 2-17-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 02:00 PM

We did it in July. And again in November.

Challenging in July. A bit@h in November.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

jonnymoderation

Mood: C h i l l

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 09:02 PM

Are you driving back again? Seeking a ride for 2. Enthisiastic copilot. :!:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jonnymoderation  
Are you driving back again? Seeking a ride for 2. Enthisiastic copilot. :!:

If I was in Los Barriles right now, I would do it. I said the road was terrible over the pass, but I like it!

Unfortunately, I am in La Paz right now and have a couple of dental appointments this week. Do you plan to travel as soon as possible?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 09:43 AM

The ejido prefer you don't broadcast waypoints etc about this beautiful area to attract people, it's quite narrow and dangerous and cartel members pass there, strangers often requires rescue which is also dangerous for rescuers and its a road used for required "travel" for those few who live here, if tourists people use it for entertainment it will create problems. It's far better to use the freeway!

El calle del cerro no es buen opcion para extranerjos pues!%^&#$ Vayaense, ya fuera!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.