Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Los Barriles - Bahia Los Muertos - La Ventana
jonnymoderation

Mood: C h i l l

thumbup.gif posted on 2-16-2020 at 09:36 PM
Los Barriles - Bahia Los Muertos - La Ventana

Seeking a ride, or advice.
Next leg of our trip is up to La Ventana - we would love to take the coastal road but arent getting solid info on potential traffic going thru that way. Seems it's a 4x4 worthy road when it goes through the mountains so wondering if anyone's heading that way or looking for a reason to drive it. We are packing light and happy to split gas : ) friendly and easy going - we would love to stop at Muertos on the way!
What do you think?
Gracias!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 09:38 PM

I think you should find a wind or kite surf site. Hundreds go to Muertos every season which is about now.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 09:48 PM

We drove it from San Juan de Los Planes to Los Barriles in November. 2nd time I've done the route.

The first 5 miles are very challenging. 4x4 for sure. We blew out one tire (sidewall) and had a slow leak in a 2nd tire. Lots of rocks. Super narrow through the canyon. Once you get to the ocean, the 20 miles to Los Barriles is very easy and beautiful.

[Edited on 2-17-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 01:06 PM

I drove that route three days ago, here is the post; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94063

I encountered no other traffic until almost El Cardonal, and they were not headed over the pass (yes, I talked to them).

[Edited on 2-17-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
jonnymoderation

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 05:34 PM

Gracias!
Any advice on alternate routes up to La Ventana? We dont mind bussing but it - looks like bus to San Antonio and then hitch from there?
Gracias
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 05:53 PM

cuate and i tackled LB to los Planes in a rented Tsuru......god help the poor soul that rented it next!:P
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 09:55 AM

There are travelers and shuttles every day passing LB to LV associated with airport arrivals, use FB and join La Ventana Kiteboarding or look for Ventana View. Generally you would be picked up at the bus station in LB and go up to San Antonio to Los Planes to LV, it's about 1 hour drive and costs about $15-30 person depending on number of people.

La Ventana is very crowded and expensive with high crime, be careful.

Contact Samuel Shuttle turissaven@hotmail.com
+52 1 (612) 167 1550 or WhatsApp

VentanaView Travel board
https://www.theventanaview.com/travel-board/?fbclid=IwAR0WXK...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/421458964632341/

[Edited on 2-18-2020 by gnukid]
jonnymoderation

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 10:12 AM

Gracias for the info!
Wondering if anyone wants to throw out suggestions for a better place to relax on the beach? We thought el Sargento hot springs sounded like fun but hearing some discouraging things. We were thinking el tecolote next. Easier to get to for sure. El saltito sounds great but not sure we can get there sin auto.
Gracias
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 10:46 AM

San Bartolo just not of LB has a hot spring where you can camp and is known for fresh water and fruits. Ensenada de los Muertos is a great place with very few people to stop for a night, the restaurant there 1535 has an open bathroom and there is a shower outside, but the nearest store is about 3km before you get there so stop for drinks and some food, there is a little restaurant on the left there in the pueblo Agua Amarga. Also, Punta Arena nearby is a great place to camp for a night but can be chilly. You can actually walk from Punta Arena to La Ventana in just a few hours on the beach. There is also a trail over the mountain from El Sargento to La Paz that could be fun, El Saltito is awesome and Tecolote and El Coyote just past Tecolote is excellent and breathtaking and quiet. there are bathrooms and restaurants at Tecolote but no stores. Also this weekend is Carnaval which is sort of a must see, if you can stash your bags somewhere. There are hostels for as little as $10-15 in La Paz or nicer places for $50. Uber also exists and is very cheap as an option. There is a bus from Los Planes or LV to La Paz daily and many options for bus in La Paz to Tecolote. ES/LV is experiencing a crime wave along with extortion and is overrun by theft and really scary people who are working together to rob homes and individuals. Perhaps send me a pm when you settle plans and I'll look for you to say hi and bring you some water and fruits.

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
.... Perhaps send me a pm when you settle plans and I'll look for you to say hi and bring you some water and fruits.

Oh. I can use some fruits and water as well :D
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
.... Perhaps send me a pm when you settle plans and I'll look for you to say hi and bring you some water and fruits.

Oh. I can use some fruits and water as well :D

jaja and pizza? I'll see you the beach!

jonnymoderation

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 08:46 PM

San Bartolo just not of LB has a hot spring where you can camp and is known for fresh water and fruits. Ensenada de los Muertos is a great place with very few people to stop for a night, the restaurant there 1535 has an open bathroom and there is a shower outside, but the nearest store is about 3km before you get there so stop for drinks and some food, there is a little restaurant on the left there in the pueblo Agua Amarga. Also, Punta Arena nearby is a great place to camp for a night but can be chilly. You can actually walk from Punta Arena to La Ventana in just a few hours on the beach. There is also a trail over the mountain from El Sargento to La Paz that could be fun, El Saltito is awesome and Tecolote and El Coyote just past Tecolote is excellent and breathtaking and quiet. there are bathrooms and restaurants at Tecolote but no stores. Also this weekend is Carnaval which is sort of a must see, if you can stash your bags somewhere. There are hostels for as little as $10-15 in La Paz or nicer places for $50. Uber also exists and is very cheap as an option. There is a bus from Los Planes or LV to La Paz daily and many options for bus in La Paz to Tecolote. ES/LV is experiencing a crime wave along with extortion and is overrun by theft and really scary people who are working together to rob homes and individuals. Perhaps send me a pm when you settle plans and I'll look for you to say hi and bring you some water and fruits.

Stellar advice! Thanks! Asked some locals, sounds like San Bartolo is a cold spring - there's a public pool that could be fun! But I am not seeing camping any closer than 15 k or so. Do you know a spot in San Bartolo?

Gracias!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 04:19 AM

From the beach in LB, go straight up the second arroyo 15km. you can walk. bus or uber. It's informal camping as you go up the arroyo and camp. There are swimming pools, there is great food, fresh fruits, and sweets, tamales, empanadas, queso, there are great restaurants (red facade) with bathrooms and the people are great. All the areas mentioned are not formal camping, you can camp anywhere in the arroyos and beaches. Go to San Bartolo, Muertos, Punta Arena, LV, La Paz, Tecolote, Pt Coyote, La Paz, Todos Santos, Pescadero, rinse, wash repeat.

By the way, from LB 2nd arroyo to Muertos on the beach road is only 35-40km (20-22miles), but it takes 2-3 hours by car and seems like a lifetime but walking over 2-4 days might be an interesting option there are restaurants and ranches with plenty of food options and places to camp. There are many things to see (when yo go slow) and there is our village, Boca del Alamo just before Primeras Piedrras where you can buy fresh ranch food, meats, fish, cheese, fresh breads, drinks, and sleep on the beach before you make the final leg to Muertos 12km (7miles). See you there! I'll bring you water and an orange.

FYI there is no wifi or cell coverage in many areas, when you get to Muertos the restaurant 1535 has wifi to use, or if you are desperate for cell you can find it at certain high points as you go. The nearest pueblo to Muertos is our Ejido Agua Amarga (7km-4miles), where there are stores and great food, from Agua Amarga, there is an arroyo to walk leading to the Bahia Turquesa beach 5km (1-2 hours by car or 20 minutes on foot) to a place we call Choco Lake which is a natural kitesurfing park and beach with ramps and obstacles where you can camp and it's a short walk to LV on the beach or you will get a ride. Bus leaves LV every morning for La Paz at 7:30am except Sunday. Big Carnaval parade on Thursday through Sunday on the Malecon and you can camp right on the Malecon (beach front) in the middle of the Carnaval parade if you want to torture yourself. I'm sure you can request an Uber at anytime of day or night to escape wherever you are.

You'll be covering the same ground as the Yaqui, Guayacura and Pericu.

[Edited on 2-19-2020 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 05:09 AM

I recommend you use the google maps download map function to download the entire region so you can use it when you are traveling walking with no cell, all the arroyo paths are clearly shown and you can see how easy it is to move around walking versus driving and put yourself at ease otherwise you may feel lost and panic. Literally its all so close but oftentimes the arroyo are shrouded in canyons or bushes and you can't see out but remember arroyo always lead from water source to the beach. If you need help ask pueblerinos y vaqueros! If you feel insecure ask to camp at someone's house.
jonnymoderation

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 06:20 AM

:bounce: :o
Such wonderful invitations! I have been using the offline downloaded maps - great app function. We will review your suggestions and I will send a u2u message when we decide!
Much is Gracias gnukid!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I think you should find a wind or kite surf site. Hundreds go to Muertos every season which is about now.

We just went to lunch yesterday at ensenada muertos. Yes, the Mexicans still call it that, notwithstanding some gringo developer trying to change the name to bay of dreams in the attempt (failed) to sell dirt. There are NO gringo/Mexican wind sports going on there, only the fishermen that have been there for eons. "Muertos", it's friendly fishermen and the beautiful protected beach is one of my earliest fond memories of BCS. The campground community was a delightful destination for many years. Fenced off with armed protection by some turd in a gold jacket ended that era.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 09:50 AM

Don't go to Muertos, it's called Muertos for a reason! There's nothing there but the bones and skulls of past visitors of 1000's of years and ghosts! whooo spooky. The off shore winds will blow you out to sea to never return, the currents will carry you away, the pirates will rob you, there are no supplies no stores or places to stay, even the resorts have all failed and are abandoned. Nearby Agau Amarga is called "Bitter Water" for a reason. Spooky But if you do come you should join our badminton competition league and pizza throwing completion and SUP fish challenge. Not many competitors left ... good luck pirates... wiiiiwooohooo spooky
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 11:20 AM
Area map and photos... Ensenada de los Muertos

Ensenada de los Muertos:

Punta Arena:

Here is the AAA map from 2010:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 12:27 PM

I assume the golfcourse has fallen into disrepair?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 08:26 PM

After talking with the vaqueros del pueblo, we decided to pack up and hitch up horses and depart in the morning to look for the wanderer in the arroyos, not to interfere in the adventure, just to walk alongside, to see him walk and walk alongside. So few actually go, and in order to celebrate the new arrival, everyone will meet him/her as they pass through the canyon and arrive, wherever they arrive, we will be there. We will monitor VHF 68 for news and reports and then everyone will ride to Carnaval together with the wanderer as the guest king of Carnaval. Arriba, hechela, el Rey extranejero, Bienvenido el Rey Nuevo que tenemos, ya es Nino, es el Rey! woooohooooo el sacrificio del Carnaval.

[Edited on 2-20-2020 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.