Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Campground south of Puertecitos on highway 5
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 01:20 PM
Campground south of Puertecitos on highway 5

Decided to try highway 5 on my way back from BCS next week. Interested in any recommendations on campground between highway 1 and Puertecitos. Only have internet at restaurants, so search not viable. Have 19 foot class C but don't need hookups, but like the security of a campground. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 01:30 PM

I have camped out at Coco's corner for the night.

I felt quite safe and there was another group staying there when I did.

He doesn't charge but it is nice to buy beers and or sodas from him.
I also gave him a 1/2 rack of ribs that he enjoyed..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 01:31 PM

campo beluga on the south shore of gonzaga bay is a good choice
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 05:44 PM

Camp Beluga is good... a sandy but graded road in.
Km. 149+ and 2.0 miles to the campground (turn left 1.3 miles from Hwy. 5).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 05:52 PM

Papa Fernandez just north of San Luis Gonzaga is another good choice. Always feel safe there. Nice little restaurant.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 06:26 PM

Rancho Grande palapa at Gonzaga Bay, the aircraft is optional.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Papa Fernandez just north of San Luis Gonzaga is another good choice. Always feel safe there. Nice little restaurant.

But, is there a RV park he can drive a motorhome to, like Beluga or Rancho Grande's palapas? The only camping I thought Papa's offered was the beach over the hill? Not a suitable place for large 2WD vehicles, is it?
I would like to know... Thanks!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-21-2020 at 08:51 PM
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 01:07 AM

He mentioned he did not need to be hooked up. I think Paps's would find him something. My point was you are on their property and would feel safe.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 07:50 AM

Just a few miles north of Gonzaga is Cinco Islas. Fine for an overnight.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Just a few miles north of Gonzaga is Cinco Islas. Fine for an overnight.

Cinco Islas Km. 114

Also:
Off the paved Puertecitos entrance road (Km. 74.5) is Octavio's Playa Escondida:

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 09:01 AM

Rancho Grande would be my choice just because of the easy access, I've stayed there a few times. Campo Beluga is not a bac choice either.
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:00 AM

Thanks so much for all the good suggestions. We are on our way tomorrow. Going to hit as many as we can.
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 08:37 AM

Update on current conditions at four camps mentioned:

Camp Beluga- was closed on the Monday we visited. No signage that it was closed close to highway 5.

Rancho Grande- agree with advrider that it is the easiest access. Clean and beautiful views with enclosed back side palapas that would be good in the heat with cement floors. More outhouses than you can believe. We watched a plane take off next to the road to highway 5.

Papa Fernandez- more of a established residence area, kind of dense for camping. I didn't want to chance going over the hill to the beach.

Octavio's Camp (Playa Escondida)- When going thru the gate be sure to gas it if you have a 2wd. There is a big sand pit that I wasn't paying close enough attention to. Fluent english speaker Robert pulled me out in minutes. Very nice people. I helped his brother in law Antonio straighten out some boats in windy conditions as the tide was coming in and he took me to his house, fileted a fish and gave it to me, so generous. 250 pesos for 24 hours.

After 6 days of wind, was glad to get home on the excellent toll road to Tecate. Very thorough militar inspection point just past the Laguna Salada. Winds hit 106 mph (county record!) in local San Diego mountains that night.

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by JohnMcfrog]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 11:54 AM
good info

Nice update JohnMcfrog - good to have current information.

John M
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 01:25 PM

Yeah, you were unfortunate to have had to go down when a high pressure episode had built in the Southwest deserts of the US. There were strong winds for several days as far south as probably the East Cape. Sailflow was predicting seas as high as nine feet out in the center.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 02:05 PM

What are the camping options up at Punta Final ? Have 4x4 w/ decent clearance.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 02:49 PM
I had asked about Punta Final as well....

Here is the U2U reply I got when I asked about palapas and other shade:

"No shade just sandy beach. Be careful about times around April, don't want to be here during santa simmer" [Easter week perhaps?]

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Here is the U2U reply I got when I asked about palapas and other shade:

"No shade just sandy beach. Be careful about times around April, don't want to be here during santa simmer" [Easter week perhaps?]

John M

Signage and camping area in 2017. The beach east of the home area to Snoopy Hill/ Island is the camping area...

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2020 at 08:16 AM

Nice report. I have stayed at Octavios a couple of times. The place is usually empty, or only one or two palapas are occupied.

The area south of Puertecitos is in my opinion one of the windiest in Baja. Anything that is not tied down gets blown out to sea. After a while it starts to get on your nerves.

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by bajaric]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-1-2020 at 09:36 PM

Hi,

There’s a trailer Park across from the Market at Gonzaga Bay south of the Air Strip. The Market has recently added a high well lit security fence and the trailer park has none! Over by the beach is probably better. Alfonsina’s has rooms & a restaurant/bar. Enter just south of the gas station (regular only) Across from the market. Next gas south Jesus Y Maria 200KM road is OK but not a good idea after dark 18:00 ish local time. North A military check point ( nice folks) next gas Puertecitos 80KM ish (often & regular only) and rooms to rent (also often) a guy grills carne asada tacos at the market at sundown ( often - it’s Mexico!) on the way into town!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.