BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Moving to Baja with a pet Iguana...
Motox24

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 03:49 PM
Moving to Baja with a pet Iguana...

In all my research of starting the “nomad” type of lifestyle I’m yet to come across an article that can help me figure out my dilemma. I want to move to Mexico with my pet Iguana. I’ve seen countless posts and articles about people doing just that with their pet dog, but reptiles not so much.

My iguana is 10 years old and could live another 15 easily and he is as much a son to me as other people’s dogs are to them. I’ve gotten him bathroom trained, name trained and I’d say we are pretty much bonded to the point he trusts me over other people, and I’d feel cruel to leave him behind with my brothers or some other alternative. But I very much want to move from the US to a central/South American country. And I’ve always thought it would be awesome to let my iguana see a piece of his home-land. All the airlines I’ve contacted flat out refuse to entertain the idea of a reptile in the cabin, and I’m not willing to put him through the stress of flying in cargo. Plus he is calm and doesn’t mind long car rides so I think my “digital nomad” lifestyle will have to take place in the American continents.

My idea is to drive from the US to our new home and I think I’ve settled on Mexico and baja more specifically, maybe near the La Paz area. Reasons being ease of travel and distance. The issue is as I said, of all the articles and videos I’ve seen on doing something similar, it is always with a dog, which seems easy enough. However I’m unsure of the difficulties of doing this with a reptile. It’s very hard to find forums where people have similar desires so I figured posting here might help me out. Any ideas on accommodation (places that are listed as pet friendly I wonder the degree of pets they are referring to..), border crossings, quarantine, how logical you think this is? Any ideas at all I’ll greatly appreciate.

1744667E-28D0-48A7-BD6A-8FDDB9FDC615.jpeg - 215kB

DB01670C-5F06-497B-AF93-EEB20787CF95.jpeg - 64kB

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by Motox24]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:12 PM
Welcome to the forum

I did a quick search of this web site; https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr... and found no restrictions that have been announced. I also followed a link to requirements for bringing your reptile back into the US, and I think you are good to go.

Also, I have not heard from anyone who knows of a pet actually having to go through an inspection at the border crossing, although that could be required.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Motox24

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:16 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Akgringo. I’ve seen that site as well in my research and was just concerned that it says dogs and cats will be checked at the border, but there is no info for other animals. I’ve seen videos of certain South American countries quarantining animals so figured I’d include that question here. Before leaving I’d probably send a letter to an embassy with the question but I figured there wouldn’t be too big a problem bringing an iguana into Mexico.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:24 PM

Get a vet to do the paperwork to say he is healthy. He seems small enough to just put in a small box on the the seat next to you - and just do it. Even if they notice him (her?) I doubt they will care. I came from Thailand with three cats and all the correct paperwork... and they never even stopped us. At worst they will be curious and friendly about it.

I think at the very worst they would find it so unique that they wouldn't even know what to do. I know what it is like though to worry your way though it and the difficult process that you can read on line. If nothing else, give him to me and I'll put him in my pocket and I'll take him for you.

Really. Really! These guards etc are looking for guns and drugs - not lizards. They don't want to be bothered. But when they are... they enjoy the break, the difference, the fun of something different after a long boring day.

Your best defense? "El is mi amigo mejor!" And a big smile. I am hoping that means "He is my best friend!". Use bad pronunciation and bad grammar - it helps... :-)

Sometimes when moving from country to country (I've done it 6-7 times) it is just a leap of faith that it will all sort out. And you know what? It always does.

Just do it - as Nike says. I'd be happy to help you through the first military checkpoint south of Ensenada There are only a few more after that to get to La Paz. I made that run myself, just a few months ago.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:29 PM

I know it is trivial to say, don't worry about it. But one of the best things about Mexico is that 99% of the time, you really don't need to worry about it.

All these guards and soldiers at the check points - they are mostly worried about you opening fire on them. A big smile puts all that to rest.

And really - all the BS - on this forum and others - about people trying to "shake you down" is really just that - BS.

Enjoy Mexico for what it is. Really really nice people. Put your head on right and they will respond to your positive attitude.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:31 PM

Since iguanas are native to Mexico, I'd be worried about being confronted as an animal smuggler. Or, there may be problems keeping a "wild native animal" as a pet in it's home country. I used to catch king snakes (and a desert tortoise) as pets as a kid here in California, but from what I understand it is not legal (if it ever was) to take them from the wild any longer.

Maybe having some proof of "provenance" for you iguana would be wise. Perhaps a receipt from a pet store, veterinarian letter, etc.

Hate to see your child confiscated from you by wildlife authorities.

John

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by John Harper]
Motox24

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
Get a vet to do the paperwork to say he is healthy. He seems small enough to just put in a small box on the the seat next to you - and just do it. Even if they notice him (her?) I doubt they will care. I came from Thailand with three cats and all the correct paperwork... and they never even stopped us. At worst they will be curious and friendly about it.

I think at the very worst they would find it so unique that they wouldn't even know what to do. I know what it is like though to worry your way though it and the difficult process that you can read on line. If nothing else, give him to me and I'll put him in my pocket and I'll take him for you.

Really. Really! These guards etc are looking for guns and drugs - not lizards. They don't want to be bothered. But when they are... they enjoy the break, the difference, the fun of something different after a long boring day.

Your best defense? "El is mi amigo mejor!" And a big smile. I am hoping that means "He is my best friend!". Use bad pronunciation and bad grammar - it helps... :-)

Sometimes when moving from country to country (I've done it 6-7 times) it is just a leap of faith that it will all sort out. And you know what? It always does.

Just do it - as Nike says. I'd be happy to help you through the first military checkpoint south of Ensenada There are only a few more after that to get to La Paz. I made that run myself, just a few months ago.

Lol he was small once, about ten years ago. Now he’s about 5 and a half feet long and maybe 15 lbs
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:44 PM

I've only been here (actually IN Baja) about seven years full time and I've yet to run into a "wildlife authority" at a checkpoint - so I wouldn't worry about it. It's usually young kids with rifles.

God knows what they would do with a squirrel.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:46 PM

If that idea of John's bothers you. Just print out a receipt from a fake pet shop in San Diego.

Do you think the 18-year-old solder with the rifle will know - or care? I think not.

Will he search the internet to find you out? Uh... probably no signal at the check point. Nor would he bother.

Motox24

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:48 PM

I've only been here (actually IN Baja) about seven years full time and I've yet to run into a "wildlife authority" at a checkpoint - so I wouldn't worry about it. It's usually young kids with rifles.

God knows what they would do with a squirrel.

funny you say that. I once had a squirrel and they were pals, though sadly he wont be coming with us.

E2987D1F-440A-40B8-A7AB-D4DCC04D7A2D-min.jpeg - 238kB

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:48 PM

Aye! He is gigante! Put him in a Dog carrier and you will be fine. JOhn's idea of provenance is a good idea.
Motox24

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:50 PM

Aye! He is gigante! Put him in a Dog carrier and you will be fine. JOhn's idea of provenance is a good idea.

lol, yes he is a good size! Good idea on the dog carrier so he is not loose in the car during checkpoints and such. And I will most definitely bring the bill of sale and maybe a vet checkup if i get around to it.

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 04:56 PM

Don't get "around to it". Do it.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 05:02 PM

AND... go to Fiverr.com and have both the bill of sale/purchase receipt ad vet statement translated to Spanish. It will cost you about $5-10 each to do it. Staple them together and make a few copies just in case. Usually if you cover your a*ss - you won't need it. If you don't... you will.

[Edited on 2-22-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 05:04 PM

It helps to have everyone stamp and sign everything - even twice. People here love paperwork.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Motox24  

lol, yes he is a good size! Good idea on the dog carrier so he is not loose in the car during checkpoints and such. And I will most definitely bring the bill of sale and maybe a vet checkup if i get around to it.

I can almost guarantee that if your iguana is loose in the car, you won't get inspected!

My dog is friendly, but 90 pounds and scary looking to some people. I haven't been inspected since she started traveling with me five years ago.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 08:16 PM

Here´s the list of requierements for importing live animals to Mexico, altough for mexican law only dogs and cats are considered pets.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/kenia/images/stories/pdf/procedim...

1. You must present a health certificate signed from a certified vet, on letterhead and not older than 10 days, with full name and address of the owner, physical description of the animal and the adress of the place youre going to stay.

It must declare that the animal has been vaccinated for rabies (don´t know if iguanas can have rabies), date of aplication and that the animal have undergone a preventive treatment against internal and external parasites within six months prior to their mobilization and that they are free of external parasites.

Also, must state that upon close examination the animal its clinically healthy.

2. At the inpection point, the animal will be physically examined and should match the description stated in the certificate issued by the vet.

If during the physical inspection it is detected that the pet is not free of external parasites, a private veterinarian will be required to apply the corresponding treatment, and you will be charged.

3. Once you meet the requierements, you´ll be issued a zoosanitary certificate to import your animal.

You can bring up to two animals. For three or more, you´ll have to pay $1,620 pesos (´bout 85 bucks), and be directed by customs to proceed like a comercial importer.

This applies to animals other than house pets, like birds, reptiles, ferrets and tortoises.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 2-21-2020 at 08:35 PM

Archie, did you read the link I provided?
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr...

As of 12/16/2019 veterinary certificates are no longer required! When they were required, they were good for 30 days if travel was by land or sea, 10 if by air.

The airlines might still require one to fly with a pet, but not if you are driving across the border.

[Edited on 2-22-2020 by AKgringo]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-21-2020 at 08:47 PM
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 09:30 PM

I've seen iguanas for sale at the swap meet in Maneadero. Traveling with him in a dog crate would be best, that way you can't be stopped by the dog crate cops in Tecate and elsewhere for that shake down. Crossing back into the US with him would be my concern. I tried to do that with a pet parrot with all the paperwork, appointment, etc. Didn't happen. Good luck.

P>*)))>{

Ps. If you do make the move, keep a close eye on him. They are eaten in some areas.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 12:01 AM

Just for the heck of it, call the Mexican consulate and see what they say?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.