Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: RV Caravan Wagon Masters wanted
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:08 AM
RV Caravan Wagon Masters wanted

Our company, Caravanas de Mexico is moving into Baja next Season. We are planning 2 trips, a 35 day baja-only caravan and an approx 60 day Baja and Copper Canyon using the ferry trip for the airstream club. The first one is non airstream in early January, and the airstream one later in the month. The wagon master does not have to have an airstream. If you have an RV, know Baja, and especially if you have Wagon Master experience, we would really like to hear from you. We may consider running a short training trip in the Fall if we have to. You do not have be fluent in Spanish. Send me an email to beddows@telus.net with a copy to caravanasmexico@live.com.mx. We are a legal mexican registered tour company.

[Edited on 2-22-2020 by beddows]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by beddows  
You od not have be fluent in Spanish.

I would recommend your tour group leaders be fluent in Spanish... how you gonna solve problems w/o speaking the language?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:19 AM

we have been running mainland caravans for years with non fluent leaders. Both in English & French. We have a vast network of mexican tour guides and our caravans are tailgunned by the green angels. It is of course an advantge, but we have fluent people always in reach by cell as well.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:19 AM

It does help but plenty of people travel all over Mexico without knowing Spanish. A good attitude and some patients goes a long way. Any more detail on this trip, sound interesting.
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:30 AM

ADV rider,

We have run caravans on mainland Mexico for years and provided services to competitors. The trips include RV parks, tours by licensed guides and a lot of meals. The WM gets paid a daily rate. The one is likeley to run Jan 8 to Feb 12th, The airstream one will cross probably Jan 28th timed to hit the La Paz festival. it will then cross the ferry to Los Mochis or Mazatlan and take in Mazatlan, Copper Canyon and cross back at Nogales. That one is contracted to us by the WBCCI Airstream club. They sign up their own people, we do the route & tour planning and supply the Wagon Master. We have run 2 Airstream caravns on the Mainland so far. This company has a lot of advantages as it is Mexican owned and is therefore legal, Many companies are in a bit of a grey area, althoguh they have had no issues. Regardless this company has access to the green angels and support from the ministy of tourism. It does not have to contract out. I have led about 6-7 caravans for them myself. Just getting too old to do it now.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 11:43 AM

Traveling in a group with a schedule is not something that appeals to me, much less being the leader of such a group. My parents on the other hand, traveled extensively throughout Mexico in the 70's and 80's, and enjoyed the caravan lifestyle.

They were wagon masters on several trips, and their Spanish was at the low conversational level. My mom (who could talk to a statue) particularly loved meeting and sharing stories with people from other places!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 12:00 PM

Ran into many caravans on mainland over the years. Most of the partakers were elderly and had nice rigs. Often beat them to the next destination and shared margaritas with the wives while their husbands set up the rigs and then the men while the wives made their husbands dinner. Lots of vets and grandma/grandpa types.

Mixed in with the green 'turtle busses' (Hippy type college kids), Van Tours (Asian and European), and red 'Coffin busses' (Germans who slept in little cubicles built into the body of the bus); The RV Caravans were our favorite for their 4pm BYOB gatherings.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 12:35 PM

Wow - pricey - average cost is about $120 day plus insurance, plus gas, plus meals, groceries. Gotta ask yourself, Why?
And, Mr. Beddows, regarding towing a quad and driving on beaches, that is frowned upon in Baja California. Varying opinions, but be aware of the law, environmental concerns.
What is the itinerary for a 30-day trip? One way? A January trip would be a bit early for optimum whale watching - something Baja California is known for the world over. Need a fishing license if you're fishing from a boat or kayak. And please dispose of your waste in an environmentally sensitive manner as well.
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 12:47 PM

caravans are not for everyone. most people who sign up for them are wary of going into mexico. rv parks are not as cheap as they used to be and we have to pay wagon masters, green angels, guides, meals, etc. We are stlil working on itinerary. I am not trying to sell anyone, I figure this forum probably has a large pool of experience.

grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 02:23 PM

caravans are not for everyone. most people who sign up for them are wary of going into mexico. rv parks are not as cheap as they used to be and we have to pay wagon masters, green angels, guides, meals, etc. We are stlil working on itinerary. I am not trying to sell anyone, I figure this forum probably has a large pool of experience.

This forum has a large pool of talkers who are more than happy to tell you how wrong you are.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2020 at 03:35 PM

Getting stuck behind those things is a nightmare .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

What a huge understatement! 100 geriatric operators towing airstreams on narrow highways in a country that frightens them....what could go wrong?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:43 AM

Nightmare? No.
Annoying? Yes.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Nightmare? No.
Annoying? Yes.

Bull.

Nightmare, generally, when trying to pass a long line of RVers who don't know how to drive Hgwy 1, are bunched up making passing dangerous, or playing catch up and doing it recklessly.

I've been in an accident involving a 5th wheel in a caravan who, after he hit me, didn't stop.

These RVers are in a caravan for safety and first time down. They might be prepped on how to drive the highway but it's not enough.

If you've never been behind a caravan, trying to pass, Tom, your comments are ignorant.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Nightmare? No.
Annoying? Yes.

Bull.

Nightmare, generally, when trying to pass a long line of RVers who don't know how to drive Hgwy 1, are bunched up making passing dangerous, or playing catch up and doing it recklessly.

I've been in an accident involving a 5th wheel in a caravan who, after he hit me, didn't stop.

These RVers are in a caravan for safety and first time down. They might be prepped on how to drive the highway but it's not enough.

If you've never been behind a caravan, trying to pass, Tom, your comments are ignorant.

Oh, I agree, they are difficult to pass when bunched up. So, are very annoying. The nightmare is only when you try to pass in inappropriate spot. It is your own fault if you let your annoyance turn into rage or a nightmare :light:

Woke!

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:14 PM

The trailer rigs of today are designed for the wide lanes of most interstates. They were never designed for Tope's or transit down the Santa Rosalia 12% road grade or 800 miles of 18" high shoulder drop off's.
I saw a race team big rig driver quit once, because it was too much stress for him. He only drove I-10 L.A. to Phoenix as it turned out.

Es Todo Bueno
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...green angels, guides, meals, etc.
I'm intrigued about the green angels. Aren't they government employees? How do they become associated with your private enterprise? :?:

One of the advantages of being a Mexican registered compnay, we have connections. We do pay them for the service
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

What a huge understatement! 100 geriatric operators towing airstreams on narrow highways in a country that frightens them....what could go wrong?

The days of 100 airstreamas in caravans in Mexico at least are long gone. We have run with 15 on the mainland and even that is too many
beddows
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Nightmare? No.
Annoying? Yes.

Bull.

We are very cognizant of this. everybody is isntructed to leaver enoguh rooom for a passer to cut in. We now use GRMS base station radios which have about a 5 mile range. The last thing we want is for someone behind to get frustrated. We use channel 17 or 18 in case you ifnd yourself behind one of ours.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 01:52 PM

Would such a WM need a Mexican work permit?

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.