Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Brave fishermen kill 17 Dorado
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 09:58 AM
Brave fishermen kill 17 Dorado

A friend's wife told me this morning that yesterday three brave fishermen killed 17 Dorado. According to them, it was a fabulous day. One of them was new to fishing. He has been infected and can't wait to return. After cutting the best parts out of these 17 individuals they will wrap them up and freeze them. When they get home they will eat some. After a while, they will forget about them. Part of them will be discovered in sort of a yellowish translucent spooge in the back of their freezer. They will prefer to eat the fruits of their latest caper so the spooge will be used for bait to catch more future spooge. Such is the life in Baja.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 10:16 AM

Well the daily limit is two dorado so maybe they fished more than 1 day. Or had crew that caught some. Or maybe over limits.
Good score, any idea what they caught them on?

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:00 AM

I have fished Baja's East Cape many times. They are conservation minded at hotels I stay at. Normally I keep one Dorado to have for that nights dinner, and captain sometimes takes one fish for his family dinner.
Boats I fish on have always stayed at limits or under.

I agree with weebray that many fish go to freezer and thrown out after a period of time.

Education of limited fish will help many understand to not take over limit, and only take what you will use.

It's a great sport, enjoy and be respectful.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:35 AM

I for one have been the benefactor of some who have been thoughtful enough to share their catch upon return. I have never known a fisherman to let his rewards go to spoil. Most of those I know have vacuum package capability or know how to can with pressure cooker.

To turn a story into a hypothetical conclusion of disdain is small minded, or worse, intentional high mindedness of ones self. And that's really not life anywhere...it's dead headed.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
A friend's wife told me this morning that yesterday three brave fishermen killed 17 Dorado. According to them, it was a fabulous day.

17 for 3 people in one day. :no: The limit is 2 per person per day. :light:
They were very brave indeeed to break the law. :barf: Did their bravery also include heroically fishing w/o a license? :(

Such brave men! :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 11:43 AM

I am not sure fishing is rightfully considered to be a "sport".... it's kinda like hunting.....an activity that's a bit one-sided.....

Don't believe everything you think....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:02 PM

Ha ha more like drinking sport.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 12:30 PM

Mexican Congress currently considering opening up Dorado for commercial fishing. I have witnessed illegal fishing of this species and other "protected" for sport in the state of Oaxaca and Michoacan, and they are already being marketed illegally NOB as Mahi. For anyone that has fished them, they would know that once a school is located, simply keeping one in the water and chumming can attract and potentially capture the lot. This is commonly done by these commercial interests.

Along with being among the fastest growing fish around, their flesh is also one of the fastest to deteriorate and under normal handling practices freeze very poorly, (short of flash freezing).

Respecting the sport limit of 2 fish, and releasing all females under 24-30 inches could go a long way to help preserve them. Small dorado yield very little in fillets, and educating anglers and captains that the small ones need to go back without leaving the water should be normal practice.

All this is a moot point if they are ultimately allowed for commercial fishing.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 02:00 PM

come on guys - killing is fun!
anything

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I am not sure fishing is rightfully considered to be a "sport".... it's kinda like hunting.....an activity that's a bit one-sided.....

Catch and release is always an option with fishing, not so much with hunting.

John
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Catch and release is always an option with fishing, not so much with hunting.

John

Is with a camera.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 09:16 PM

I gotta agree with Cancamo, the concept of simply taking what you can eat, no freezer for dorado, and never take a good female, no matter what it's size. Tuna, absolutly but once again only what you can comfortably eat over the next 2 months. Thinking old time fisherman here have overtaken at one time or another. All the more to broadcast the wisdom of being respectful of the finer things you have discovered
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:48 AM

Mostly thanks for your help in spreading the word appealing to sport fishermen, especially newbies, to favor the resource. I know, first hand, the restraint it takes to carefully put one back when in the frenzy of a school. It is painful to watch the daily exit of coolers of fillets from SJD. I also know, first hand, that much of that resource will be wasted.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
I gotta agree with Cancamo, the concept of simply taking what you can eat, no freezer for dorado, and never take a good female, no matter what it's size. Tuna, absolutly but once again only what you can comfortably eat over the next 2 months. Thinking old time fisherman here have overtaken at one time or another. All the more to broadcast the wisdom of being respectful of the finer things you have discovered

I completely agree - we fish a few times a week when in BCS, only take what we will eat, we don't freeze. I use barbless when I know I may be hooking something hard to release.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.