BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Miramar Bar San Felipe Closed?!
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

Mood: Craving Pacifico

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 07:58 AM
Miramar Bar San Felipe Closed?!

Just got off the phone with my uncle who spent last week in San Felipe and he told me the Miramar Bar was closed. Almost like it had been shut down by the government. Anybody have any info? Again this is what he told me, not what ive seen myself. Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:13 AM

Oh man, that was the first bar I visited as an 18-year-old/ legal-age drinker... during the 1975 Baja 1000.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:21 AM

In January I saw a sign where they were going to be closed 2 days a week. Maybe this is what he saw? Sure hope it`s not totally shut down!
Glad I bought a hat and t-shirt!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:29 AM

He said there was a big red seal on the door to make sure it wouldnt be opened. Sure hope it isnt closed. Ive had a lot of fun in there!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:39 AM

I walked by it this past Friday night and they were closing up maybe about 8:30 or 9 which I thought was kind of early seeing how the Carnaval festivities were going on. I'll go have a look in the next day or so.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:40 AM

Smoking is not allowed indoors or in covered patio areas. Was rarely enforced being Mexico. Health department cited Miramar for smoking. They can reopen after they pay the fine. 200,000 pesos first offense, 350,000 second offense. Info from another restaurant in town.

New rules coming and existing rules being enforced. Times a changing. No more plastic bags at the Autozone either.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:47 AM

Drinks at Miramar & fish tacos at Brenda's.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Smoking is not allowed indoors or in covered patio areas. Was rarely enforced being Mexico. Health department cited Miramar for smoking. They can reopen after they pay the fine. 200,000 pesos first offense, 350,000 second offense. Info from another restaurant in town.

New rules coming and existing rules being enforced. Times a changing. No more plastic bags at the Autozone either.

Seems a rather stiff fine. Hey it's Mexico....can't they just pay off the inspector?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-25-2020 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  

Glad to hear they are enforcing smoking ban... high fines should encourage compliance, eh

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-26-2020 at 05:00 PM

A poker game ain't a poker game without at least one cigar being smoked !!!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2020 at 10:26 AM

A friend in San Felipe sent this photo of a sign at the Miramar, requesting patrons to *not* smoke. Problem solved!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2020 at 06:26 PM

As you can see in Stucks pic the lights are on and there is nobody present. Been that way last week and more recent. The long term bartender is now checking groceries at Calimex.
Maybe they will have customers for events like the 250?

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by PaulW]
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
As you can see in Stucks pic the lights are on and there is nobody present. Been that way last week and more recent. The long term bartender is now checking groceries at Calimex.
Maybe they will have customers for events like the 250?

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by PaulW]

Doesnt matter where you go for the 250, there always packed.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 10:38 AM

In all my Baja travels most gringos I have met are non-smokers....

Don't believe everything you think....
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I have noticed the same thing. We are an enlightened group? Haha.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Well, MOST means less than 50%. I think the percentage of smokers in the US is now around 15%. Down from 20% a decade ago. Down from something like 80% in the 40s when many of our parents were growing up.

However, I DO believe that the percentage of gringos, especially those who have retired semi-permanently in Mexico, is higher than the percentages in the States. I do know more than a few gringos whose motivation to move here was, in part, due to how expensive cigarettes became in the States. And alcohol. And housing. And many things...........

I live in a very active retirement area in San Carlos, Sonora. It's not confined to a gate-guarded community. It's community-wide; organized mostly on social media. We have MTB groups, a pickleball association, a softball "league", hiking groups, kayaking groups, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the % of gringo smokers in this town is under 10%.

The smokers tend to be in more sedentary groups like fishing and ATVing.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 03:13 PM

Its when the Miramar bars in Ensenada close its time to worry!;)
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 04:26 PM

I just spoke with the owner Arnoldo Arostequi. Yes they were ordered shut down for a week for people smoking on the patio and the bar not having signs. Everything has been resolved with the help of good friend Octavio Ascolani. All is well.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by nobaddays]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.