Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting from SJD to Hotel - looking for info
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 07:25 AM
Getting from SJD to Hotel - looking for info

Hello
Friends are flying into San Jose del Cabo airport from Tijuana this week. Haven't flown down there in a long time and never from Tijuana.

Do you have to go through the 'gauntlet' of timeshares, etc or are you in a different terminal coming from Tijuana?

I'd assume Taxi is the best way to get to hotel in San Jose? How much is it? Do you book a taxi at a stand and pay then?

Any information on this would be great, its been a long time and want to be able to help out as much as possible.
jonnymoderation

Mood: C h i l l

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 07:38 AM

Before timeshares, go upstairs to departures area. Go outside and take a left, walk a little and there should be some mexican folks selling bus tickets for the local bus. You need to know how to say where in town you are headed, but it's easy enough ask your hotel for the area and walking directions.
Much cheaper and more fun than a taxi. And you get to skip the timeshare fuss.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 12:00 PM

I'd get a taxi. Hate waiting around for buses. Plus are they going direct to your hotel or making three stops, or just dropping you off at a central point? Just a big waste of time.

Get a taxi. You might even be able get an uber. I don't go to Cabo, but it's all over the bigger cities, even Mexicali.

Edit: looks there is Uber in Cabo, but they can't p/u at the airport.

[Edited on 2-27-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 12:47 PM

Some folks appreciate enjoying the pace and experience of bus travel, while others hire a guide (or bring their fave Man Friday) to negotiate local interactions....in order to have a servant manage their trip. it's one way to do it, but some enjoy the interactive experience of integrating local culture. Why else travel?

Don't believe everything you think....
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 01:47 PM

The above describes the international terminal, you will be arriving in the original domestic terminal, (terminal 1). Way more low key.

Just go outside, buses going into town every 15/20 minutes, the taxis, (like the rental cars nowadays), are a mafia at SJD, way too much $$$$.

Ubers are also available.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-27-2020 at 09:41 PM

I did it in January. Just before you leave the terminal you will be solicited for a taxi service. The rates are posted and are very reasonable if you are traveling solo or with a travel mate. If in a group, consider going what they call private. If you go private you will have only your party in the cab and go directly to your destination. My destination was a little north of Cabo and I was solo so took the van. I really don`t remember the toll but I think it was 200 pesos or less. The van was full and we went on a bit of a tour which I loved. Took about 30 minutes to get to my hotel, no big deal. Very easy and enjoyable.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2020 at 04:36 AM

Gosh, for a first timer, with luggage, I would take a cab. I believe that most cabs at international airports are controlled companies, usually prepaid, so ensure customer safety. I know in Mexico City, you are only allowed to take their special cabs.

The interesting part about Uber in Mexico is that you can pay cash directly to the driver since so many riders don't have bank accounts much less credit card.

Good info bornfisher!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2020 at 06:57 PM

A few times when I flew in SJD, I took a combi, don't know if they still have this but it is a very common arrangement in Mex cities. Cheaper than taxi. It's a shared van, leaves when it's full or when the driver (and passengers) agree on slightly higher cost when it's less than full. Ask "combi" or look for a van with a few gringos already sitting in.

Combi is not a "bus", it doesn't look like a bus, and they will take you with all your luggage right to your hotel. Though in many places such a van is used in place of a transit bus, fixed price, fixed route, no deviations.

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by Alm]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2020 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Some folks appreciate enjoying the pace and experience of bus travel, while others hire a guide (or bring their fave Man Friday) to negotiate local interactions....in order to have a servant manage their trip. it's one way to do it, but some enjoy the interactive experience of integrating local culture. Why else travel?

Holy passive aggressive.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Holy passive aggressive.

Good morning, Slick. Thanks for the U2U this morning calling me a p%ssy. I am not being passive here....just calling it like it is....

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.