Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Peso exchange rate up 3/2/20
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 08:30 AM
Calexico Jack In The Box exchange, 3/6/2020, 10 AM

I stopped at the Jack in the box next to Walmart to grab a bite, and use their WIFI connection. I forgot to grab my US currency, and was surprised when the clerk told me that pesos were ok!

Here is the receipt break down;
Meal combo...…………….5.99
fund raiser donation....1.00
tax...…………….………………..49

Total...………………………...7.48
Pesos (150.00)…………….7.84
change (US)…………………..36

sounds like they gave me a pretty fair exchange rate! You do the math if it matters, I did not have to go back out to my car for more cash, and I was happy!

[Edited on 3-9-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 01:07 PM

Last night at Calimax I got this message on the Atm which I declined and checking my bank this morning got an effective rate of 19.75. Had I accepted this, seems my pesos would have been 137.50 less due to the built in mark up of 5.5%? The ATM fee was 69.60 so I got 2500 pesos by declining this offer.

IMG_0199.jpg - 46kB

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 05:03 PM

Be nice if atm's adjacent to the border on the US side
despenced pesos with that good rate of exchange.
I understand you can withdraw dlls
at some atm's inside Mex

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 05:24 PM

Sent Western Union to someone 3 days ago.

20.0533 MXN per dollar.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 10:32 AM

Using the posted conversion rate calculators on both the Visa and the Mastercard sites, today, shows that Mastercard is converting at 21.16 today while Visa is converting at 20.59. That's more of a spread than I would have thought.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 11:31 AM

Got 19.88 at the bank in Mulege at the teller window today

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 02:45 PM

I got 20.18 using an ATM in town. Mastercard ATM with a credit union. Includes a Mexican ATM fee of 17.40 pesos and a "cross border fee" of 5.26 US (figured into the exchange rate, overall) on a withdrawal of 6000 pesos.

On the 6th of March, the same 6000 pesos cost me an additional 18 dollars US, due to the peso being stronger in value, to the dollar. The cross border fee was about 30 cents higher, too.

Deciding WHEN to get pesos can make a difference.

Of course, it could strengthen further tomorrow.

[Edited on 3-10-2020 by Hook]
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 05:20 PM

Interesting, got $7000 pesos at Coppell ATM on Sunday 3/8 and it still has not posted to my US checking account as of now (3/10, 5:20pm) Maybe they're waiting for the rate to go down.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 06:37 AM

Still trying to figure out why the Mastercard site says their exchange rate yesterday was listed at 21.15 and the rate THEY supposedly gave me, excluding fees by the ATM and my credit union, was about 20.55.

It would be nice to see a Schwab cardholder compare the rate he/she got on a specific day, to the rates listed on either the Visa site or the Mastercard site.

Here are the links, near as I can tell:

https://tinyurl.com/r74x7vz

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/conver...
DBaja
Junior Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 08:26 AM

Ok I have a stupid question, wouldn't the peso going up on the dollar be a good thing? 1 US dollar gets you 19 pesos, now 1 US dollar gets you about 21 pesos? :?: I’m having a moment, please don’t hit me over the head!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 09:50 AM

It is a good thing for those with dollars as a dollar gets you more pesos (more value). The most immediate thing that benefits Americans is the lowering of the cost of gasoline in Baja... followed by cheaper beer, tacos, and the rest!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DBaja
Junior Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:32 AM

Thanks David, so the US economy/stock market takes a dip BUT the Mexican peso drops more than the dollar? :?:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:32 AM

Anyone who spent any time in Baja in the past when the peso went ballistic knows that as soon as the rate changes, so do the prices. I remember when the Nuevo peso started up, and just before that there were 6 (or more) price tags super-imposed over one another on a can of food. There were so many changes on menus the paper was worn out.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...The most immediate thing that benefits Americans is the lowering of the cost of gasoline in Baja...

How about the benefit to poor people here making 1500 pesos a week and trying to feed a family and live?

In 7 months of being here I have seen the gas price fluctuate only a half a peso. Crossing back north a few times a month I have seen gas as high as $4 to last Friday at Arco it was $3.09 and the other stations about $3.25.

I guess big petro all got together and said there is nothing these people can do so we will just make bank here and everybody else can eat cake. Who could have ever seen that coming when they deregulated gas a few years ago?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DBaja  
Thanks David, so the US economy/stock market takes a dip BUT the Mexican peso drops more than the dollar? :?:

I will let you know what I find out if I go south next week, as I hope to.

Quote: Originally posted by DBaja  
Ok I have a stupid question, wouldn't the peso going up on the dollar be a good thing? 1 US dollar gets you 19 pesos, now 1 US dollar gets you about 21 pesos? :?: I’m having a moment, please don’t hit me over the head!

I was only responding to your question. The price of gasoline here is falling as well, with reduced demand and Russia fighting with Saudi Arabia over production adjustments to raise prices.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Anyone who spent any time in Baja in the past when the peso went ballistic knows that as soon as the rate changes, so do the prices. I remember when the Nuevo peso started up, and just before that there were 6 (or more) price tags super-imposed over one another on a can of food. There were so many changes on menus the paper was worn out.

It takes a "while" for the corrections to occur. Sometimes you can take advantage of that on things that arent perishable.

Especially something like buying an outboard down here.

Gas probably wont go up. Hasnt moved much more than a fraction of a peso since the "deregulation" occurred. I have to agree with Bajalzy. It's clearly being kept up, artificially, down here. But, hey, it's expected to pay for a lot of "free" services that the locals get down here.

Mexico is going to suffer tremendously, if they dont wean themselves from dependency on oil money. EV are going to make HUGE inroads in 3-5 years time. More and more solar and wind each day. Outside of some temporary political trauma, we may have seen the last of >50 dollar barrels of oil.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.