BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Visa question update CBX crossing.
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:37 PM
Visa question update CBX crossing.

So I figure I would start another thread so as to not get lost in all the back and forth on visa or FMM from my other post.

So last week I used the CBX to cross into the TJ airport. I had my 180 day FMM as it has been OK for a couple years now to cross back and forth with the 180:day FMM and since I still had time on it I figured I would use it and save the money for my 10 day trip.

As I entered the TJ airport after the bridge you have to show your paperwork to the Mexican immigration officer. I presented my 180 day and he informed me that the law has changed this year in the last month or so and that we are no longer allowed to cross back and forth with the 180 day and we are supposed to turn it in when we leave. He said that he would let me enter this time with my visa/FMM but to please make sure that next time I have a new form when entering the country. My wife who crossed a week later using the CBX got her 7 day for free right on the self service computer at the CBX terminal it only took her a couple minutes by the way. More than 7 days was easy to but you had to take the extra step of stopping and paying right before the immigration officer. All of this is located right there so very easy.

I’m sure there will be a lot of back and forth on this I am simply telling you what was told to me in person by the very polite and nice Mexican immigration officer. He seemed as miffed as I was by the change in the policy.

I love everything about crossing at the CBX and using the TJ airport for your flight it was super simple very straight forward and it is a very clean airport. I definitely recommend it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:40 PM

Hey Moose, the information is very much appreciated. Thank you.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 11:52 PM

The law hasn't changed. What may be happening is that INM officials at the Baja borders have been told by their superiors in Mexico City to start applying the law as stated, which they have been ignoring. The tourist card says and has always said, that it it is valid for your stay in Mexico. Meaning that once you leave the country, you are no longer "staying" in Mexico and it is supposed to be turned in, not used for multiple exits and entries.
This is how it's always worked on the mainland, and it's fedreal law, so the way Baja INM has been operating has been against the regulations.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 04:07 AM

Don't show it coming in, you just keep it with you.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 09:43 AM

I don't see how getting the required FMM for a trip fewer than 7 days for no cost is breaking the law. Rather, that is the logical choice. If you happen to have a 180-day that has not yet expired, that is inconsequential. If your next trip was a fly-in from the USA for 10 days, your FMM issued for that trip would be yet another FMM, paid for in your airfare. And then the next trip you use your still-valid 180-day, drive across - nobody is looking at it, nobody knows when you came and went, but it's still valid. What difference does it make -- you're holding a valid, legal FMM for your trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 10:23 AM

Spot on, wilderone.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 01:11 PM

Is there a penalty/fine for having two FMMs listed in the Mexican INM computer?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 03:06 PM

I posted this before, but it is within the time frame the OP mentioned, so one more time!

On Jan 21st I crossed southbound at Calexico West. The agent asked how long I will be in Mexico, and I replied that this trip would be for five or six weeks, but I need to return in May for a couple of weeks.

He took it on himself to issue the FMM for 180 days! I asked about turning it back in, and he told me to "turn it in here" after the second trip.

I also asked what to do with it if the second trip gets cancelled, and he said to throw it away!

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.