Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A motel in El Centro
Arthur
Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 3-24-2005 at 11:57 AM
A motel in El Centro

We're going to look for a motel in El Centro Friday night. Does anyone know of a good one? Preferably near a Sizzler.

I grew up out by the beach in San Diego, and a motel in El Centro is the last thing I ever thought I'd be looking for, but after takiing off from the SF Bay Area around 4 am, I think we'll be ready for one.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 02:46 PM

We've stayed in several motels in and around EC.
Starting from the north:
Westmorland has a new Super 8 and right across the street is a neat old steak house, The Pump Room.

Brawley:
Brawley Inn at the west end of town, with the Cowboy Shop a recommended restaurant or you can eat at Brownie's Diner at the east end of town.

Imperial:
Imperial Valley Inn at the airport has gotten a bit ragged at the edges lately. Might give this a miss, and the last we heard the restaurant there was closed.

El Centro:
The Sizzler at 707 N Imperial Av is only a short block from another Super 8, and around the corner on Adams St you have the Days Inn, El Dorado, and a couple of others to choose from.

Further south in EC at the jct of Imperial Ave and I-8 there's the Ramada Inn and Vacation Inn.

Our preference in the area is the Barbara Worth Resort Inn east of EC near Holtville. It's quiet, prices are about the same as others, and the restaurant is good...maybe the best in the area.

Calexico also has a couple of good motels.

[Edited on 3-24-2005 by bufeo]

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 03:48 PM

Bufeo, I live in EC and I don't think I could of even come close to your directions and suggestions. Right on the money. There are a couple of newer hotels off I-8 and the 4th st. exit. Good job! Paul
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 03:53 PM

We stayed in El Centro at one of the places near the interstate on the way down to San Felipe. It was like going back to the 60's. Everyone was treating us so nice too. You will see ads along the way when you get close.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 04:30 PM

Hey, thanks for all the details, Bufeo! I guess I was thinking of EC instead of Calexico because I thought it might be a little quieter, and we'd not have to worry about the truck. We don't havae to look for a place with a fenced-in lot or anything, do we? I hate to think about that kind of stuff, but . . .

You really gave us some good options, there.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 04:38 PM

Depending how you pack - whats in the open bed of a PU, you might give some thought to the security. A friend got ripped off pretty big time from the back of his PU at Motel 6 in El Centro. I've stayed there many times with no problems - but bee aware.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 06:09 PM

tunaeater - You live in EC and probably don't have much need for motels. Same for me here in Prescott, I couldn't name two motels for anyone coming to town.

Arthur - re: security in your PU. We've spent a bunch of nights in EC w/o any camper shell or anything over our goods, but I did always cover them with a tarp and netting. I don't think that would deter a dedicated burglar, but at least it prevents easy access.

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 08:24 AM
Motels?

The Vacation Inn is a GOOD place to stay. For the price of the room they give you two tickets for drinks at thier bar, and Buffet Breakfast. If you have an Eldorado Membership card you also get a room discount. So room costs about $45 a nite. The discount is just a bit more than AAA or AARP. Clean, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pots!
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 03:00 PM

That does sound good. We tried the Barbara Worth both coming and going, and liked it a lot. With an AAA discount it was $78 plus tax, but it's out in the middle of the fields and really feels like you've gotten away from the highway -- and even city streets. And we ran into the Friday night seafood buffet, which was pretty amazing. For $20.

The only thing I can say against the place is that the refirgerators make noise all night and don't do too good on ice-making despite that. We would have unplugged ours, but we had stuff to cool. They say they're going to update the place, though.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 04:18 PM

Glad you enjoyed your stay at the BW. I had forgotten about the Fri-night seafood buffet. They also do a Sat eve rib-roast (They call it "Prime", but nobody gets prime anymore. :) ) special.

I think it's the quiet and the straight shot down to Garita II that we like.

I looked at our last receipt from Feb and your price was a bit higher, unless your party was more than a double. Maybe we get "Frequent Flier Discount" :biggrin:

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by bufeo]

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by bufeo]

Arthur
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 4-4-2005 at 04:55 PM

We liked that straight shot too, but coming back north we somehow:no: blew it. We came north through Calexico, turned right (east) just short of the border on a street that turned into Americas and was headed for the airport, came to a big intersection with a Burger King on it and turned north following the Garrita sign -- and ended up on that one-way street that parallels the border and goes all the way back to the main crossing. Had a nice long wait, too. There was one backstreet manouver that I can't describe that shouldn't have affected our search, but maybe it did -- we screwed it up and couldn't figure out how it happened.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.