BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Off Road Races Canceled???
sanfelipebob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 02:17 PM
Off Road Races Canceled???

I am hearing they are going to cancel the upcoming races. What does everyone think ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 02:26 PM

What's there to think about? Last I read (today) is the San Felipe 250 is going to happen but that the registration process (and trophy presentations, etc.) will not be open to the public and it was moved from the malecon to El Dorado Ranch where crowds can be kept away.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What's there to think about?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Really David?

I thought you were smarter than that.....:light:

Have you missed the point of prevention these days?

And, I think the OP was curious about public racing events in general.

Accepting the current new reality, some folks are struggling to consider the general good of some personal sacrifice. It is interesting that it took sporting event cancellations to get some to get it that prevention is the primary and initial goal...

Don't believe everything you think....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Really David?

Accepting the current new reality, some folks are struggling to consider the general good of some personal sacrifice. It is interesting that it took sporting event cancellations to get some to get it that prevention is the primary and initial goal...

+1

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 05:29 PM

NOBODY cares if offroad races are cancelled. Idiotic pastime.

Now the really UPSETTING cancellation is March Madness!!:fire::fire::fire::fire: And no NBA!!!!!:fire::fire::fire::fire: Baseball, who cares?

Was at the grocery store today -- the lemmings have cleared the shelves. No meat left. No milk left. People are flocking nuts!!
I am amused that the canned goods and frozen foods and meat were wiped clean, but the produce section had all the variety I usually see. I guess if we continue to eat healthy, the lemmings clearing out the grocery stores will be no big woop :bounce:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 06:23 PM

In a post apocalyptic world, canned foods, instant coffee and booze rule .........

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
People are flocking nuts!!

I was in line at Rite Aid with two 12 packs of St. Pauli Girl (priorities!) this morning. Everyone else in line was clutching toilet paper, towels, sanitizer, water, etc.

The cashier looked at me and said "You are the first normal person I've had come through today." Obviously, panic is for the weak.

At Ralph's, I was shocked to see not only TP, but chicken(?), potatoes, onions, and BANANAS wiped out. Now, I really don't eat bananas, but WTF is up with that?

John

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by John Harper]
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2020 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
NOBODY cares if offroad races are cancelled. Idiotic pastime.

You're right. Nobody cares... except for the local restaurants/vendors/store owners/property owners/mechanics who likely make a good part of their annual income from selling to spectators (stupid american idiots, along with the idiot locals) who come to these idiotic events.

You probably don't care about the "idiots" who also spend a lot of their time, money, and resources to come and participate in these events. Cancelling these events is a big financial hit to them too.

I'm sure there's a time and a reason that these would legitimately be cancelled or postponed; I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that just blowing it off as having NO impact, and as an idiotic pastime is very narrow-minded and misguided.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 05:34 AM

Really David?

Following that equation: Then a whole lot of personal sacrifice would be a whole lot of good?

And complete personal sacrifice would lead to complete good! (cancellations)

But what good is that? Zero sum gain.

About this large gathering situation; I passed my local Costco yesterday which is next door to Home Depot and across the street from Walmart and the other street from a Von's. The crowd of cars within each parking lot combined for at least a thousand vehicles. Add in the kids, spouses, etc., that may have accompanied the drivers of each...the crowd was massive within eyesight.

Yep...we're learning something

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by paranewbi]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 08:38 AM

sometimes history can be informative:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/philadelphia-1918-spanish-...

Im not saying this is as deadly as the spanish flu, and the lessons epidemiologists and the medical field learned have been instrumental in reducing spread and deaths of other world wide pandemics. But even if its 1/100th as bad, you are looking at 5million being infected.

so apparently Paras calculations do not include human lives! The format for making decisions( that are well thought out decisions based on historical data and known medicine) - thats all wrong because thats not what Para wants! What apparently matters is the whole world acquiesces to whatever is in his best interest.

and just an aside para- complete human sacrifice would lead to complete good - is a very good description of religion! all of you good god-fearing Christians ought to be behind this 100%, your small sacrifice could save lives!

Funny how self-proclaimed Christians either don't know, or ignore the basic tennants of their faith!

what were learning BTW - for the umpteenth time is fear, driven by misinformation is a strong motivator. especially when coupled with a lack of education!

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by caj13]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

Really David?

Following that equation: Then a whole lot of personal sacrifice would be a whole lot of good?

And complete personal sacrifice would lead to complete good! (cancellations)

But what good is that? Zero sum gain.

About this large gathering situation; I passed my local Costco yesterday which is next door to Home Depot and across the street from Walmart and the other street from a Von's. The crowd of cars within each parking lot combined for at least a thousand vehicles. Add in the kids, spouses, etc., that may have accompanied the drivers of each...the crowd was massive within eyesight.

Need to stock up on food before trump imposes curfew and martial law.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:21 AM

Yes, this pandemic is going to hurt. But it is our social responsibility to slow infection as much as possible. Do you smoke? Are you over 65? 75? 80? Do you have diabetes? Are you obese? Do you have heart issues? Is your immune system compromised?

We are the fattest, unhealthiest 1st world nation in the world due to the horrible diet most of us eat. Personally I don't want to be responsible for assisting in the spread of a disease that will likely kill a large percentage of our most vulnerable population.
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:23 AM

A perspective:

I heard this story that I thought I would share as it relates to communicable disease.

As I understand the circumstances a family of seven had a terrible loss.

The oldest son went to a neighbors home to assist with some farming chores. When he returned a week later with no symptoms of any type, the mother became ill, then the father, younger brother and two of three younger sisters. Two weeks later 5 members of the family of seven where dead. The 18 year old son never did get sick, and the youngest daughter who was only 6 months old at the time, may have had a natural baby immunity.

As I reflect on this family's disaster, I think I would be willing to miss out on some much anticipated events to prevent spreading, and or contracting a very dangerous disease.

BTY: This was our family. This happened in Oklahoma. The year was 1911. The disease was typhoid. The 6 month old was my wife's mother. The 18 year old brother left home, never to be heard from again

Final Note: Should you fine yourself out of TP because of this current pandemic. Feel free to print several copies of this post, and put it to good use. :cool:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Really David?

+1

John

Perhaps David is using similar science as he employs about climate change.

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by pacificobob]
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
sometimes history can be informative:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/philadelphia-1918-spanish-...

Im not saying this is as deadly as the spanish flu, and the lessons epidemiologists and the medical field learned have been instrumental in reducing spread and deaths of other world wide pandemics. But even if its 1/100th as bad, you are looking at 5million being infected.

so apparently Paras calculations do not include human lives! The format for making decisions( that are well thought out decisions based on historical data and known medicine) - thats all wrong because thats not what Para wants! What apparently matters is the whole world acquiesces to whatever is in his best interest.

and just an aside para- complete human sacrifice would lead to complete good - is a very good description of religion! all of you good god-fearing Christians ought to be behind this 100%, your small sacrifice could save lives!

Funny how self-proclaimed Christians either don't know, or ignore the basic tennants of their faith!

what were learning BTW - for the umpteenth time is fear, driven by misinformation is a strong motivator. especially when coupled with a lack of education!

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by caj13]

Caj you need to go back to your off topic rant home...
Whatever you think you know of religion is distorted by your animosity towards it. The paradigm you approach your viewpoint with is tainted to put it mildly.

What you may think you know of me or what I write is confused in the failure to read in context. But I understand your demise, as I note the black-out in the ability to concentrate to that extent is exhibited as bipolar in your worship of yourself.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Yes, this pandemic is going to hurt. But it is our social responsibility to slow infection as much as possible. Do you smoke? Are you over 65? 75? 80? Do you have diabetes? Are you obese? Do you have heart issues? Is your immune system compromised?

We are the fattest, unhealthiest 1st world nation in the world due to the horrible diet most of us eat. Personally I don't want to be responsible for assisting in the spread of a disease that will likely kill a large percentage of our most vulnerable population.

Bingo :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 11:17 AM

And complete personal sacrifice would lead to complete good!

That sounds a lot like how Jesus would handle this! Right on!

Compassion, sacrifice, empathy, generosity, caring, and humility. These qualities are not just owned by "Christians." I follow the teachings of Jesus in my daily life, but refuse to call myself a Christian. Too many hypocrites adopt that name, it has lost it's meaning for me.

It's not all about being "saved" for eternity. God gave us a temporal existence to do his work.

John

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 11:26 AM

The USA communities are cancelling large events like this, following govt advice. USA operator of this race is going to Mexico to get around USA recommendation against large events, and USA restrictions on offroad racing. Double bad immoral behaviour!

Woke!

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 01:37 PM

Sonora Rally started today! BRAAAAP!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

And complete personal sacrifice would lead to complete good!

That sounds a lot like how Jesus would handle this! Right on!

Compassion, sacrifice, empathy, generosity, caring, and humility. These qualities are not just owned by "Christians." I follow the teachings of Jesus in my daily life, but refuse to call myself a Christian. Too many hypocrites adopt that name, it has lost it's meaning for me.

It's not all about being "saved" for eternity. God gave us a temporal existence to do his work.

John

I just say I'm a 'follower of the way' (re: Paul) John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.