Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Corona virus? How are you dealing with it? San Ignacio
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:06 AM
Corona virus? How are you dealing with it? San Ignacio

We went to San Ignacio last Friday for me to get my insulin. The town was packed with tourists. It dawned on me that all of them pose a real threat to locals there. They pose a threat to Les and I as well! We have talked about how happy we are to be in such a remote location here in La Bocana.

I wrote to Kuyima, I really think we have to be proactive to get over the dangers of corona virus. It is scary how this pandemic is going to have economic repercussions the likes of which we have never encountered before.

At our bnb, I already had the habit of wiping down all doorknobs and continue to do this, I added to the list the fridge handle and light switches. The Korean guests workers from El Boleo who arrived today were greeted with elbows - they had a good laugh over it!

There is plenty of toilet paper here...packed shelves of it.

How is the corona virus affecting your life?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:11 AM

We were at Kuyima 2/24-28. I agree, people come via air from all over the world and are in pretty close contact. Though right now I don't know if anyone can get there, the roads are washed out. How is cover-19 affecting me? Three trips planned over 6 weeks are cancelled. I should be in Maui right now, Dana Point and Las Vegas next month... oh well, gotta do what we gotta do to keep this from spreading.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 09:22 AM

We have several couples arriving from the States
In a week for a visit. We are all considering the wisdom of continuing with the plan. I feel like nobody wants to be the first to cancel. Lots of local events and venues closed.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 10:08 AM

Wife went out for gas at Costco in early morning today. Shoppers with carts already lined up around building. Von's store was packed and so was Walmart.

How does this work into the hunker down, isolate, theorem?

"Theorem definition, a theoretical proposition, statement, or formula embodying something to be proved from other propositions or formulas."

Other than being amazed at the craziness of the people outside it really isn't keeping us from much.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 10:09 AM

What about all the expats that live in Northern Baja and travel to the states on a regular basis for medical treatment? Seems like this virus is very contagious, only a matter of time before it shows up in Baja, brought down by someone who picked it up in a chemo ward or whatever.

On the other hand, as a guy pointed out on the news today, medical science has come a long way since the days of Spanish flue. They probably already have the virus' dna sequenced and know the receptor that infects the cells in the lung. Vaccine should be available in short order, as well as home test kits. AIDs was a lot harder to figure out, and eventually a cure was found although it took 5 years. Coronavirus will be eradicated, eventually, the only question is how long it takes and how bad it gets. Might be a big deal over something that to date has killed about the same number of people that are killed each year by falling off ladders.

As for myself, I am self isolating, drinking vodka with lime, and coating the surface of my lungs with tar from burning the leaves of plants.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 10:31 AM

As if thoughts and prayers weren't enough...…..I am with bajaric

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for sharing that. It was insightful.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 11:32 AM

My wife and I are both introverts, so being asked to self-quarantine and practice social distancing are a bit like winning the lottery. On the other hand, we're denying ourselves little luxuries like dining out or having a beer in a local pub. I feel for many of these small businesses that are going to have to make tough choices, like cutting the hours of their employees or furloughing them altogether for weeks or longer.

On a personal note, I had to cancel a planned trip to visit my parents in Naples, FL. They're in their late 80s, and while they still live at home, they need help buying groceries, getting to doctor's appointments, etc., and no longer have any friends or relatives living nearby. A nurse comes to check up on them once a week, and my brothers and I are keeping close tabs on them.

Ironically, my mother's lack of mobility could be their saving grace in that they rarely get out of the house these days.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 11:35 AM

Blanca - has the current situation impacted your school at all?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 12:01 PM

all schools in mexico closed this friday to april 20?

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by Don Pisto]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Was that this past or this coming Friday? Haven't heard anything on that yet.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Was that this past or this coming Friday? Haven't heard anything on that yet.

mar 20-april 20.......Blanca?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 01:08 PM

Down here (mainland) all schools closed 20th march till after semana santa/pascua.:bounce:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 01:14 PM

I am prepared for the worst - I am hoping for the best.

Looks like Mexico will be the next Italy. Hundreds of thousands of tourist still coming in unrestricted. La Paz is hosting a marathon. Spring Break and Semana Santa ahead. Let's party the hype away!

as a friend wrote yesterday: "Seeing people out in LA this Saturday night is like watching the first class passengers gather for c-cktails in the smoking room or grand staircase thinking RMS Titanic was unsinkable."

Mexico will have 60,000 cases in 10 weeks from now. Mark my words.

nurse copy.jpg - 100kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 01:27 PM

for all of you who understand numbers. Mexico had 15 confirmed cases on Thursday. 43 today. See how fast that gets out of control (and except closing schools early, Mexico has done nothing):

progression.jpg - 94kB

Harald Pietschmann
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 03:42 PM

It is beginning to look as if there is a lot more to this than the authorities are telling us, or they simply do not know. Viruses have been around forever and have morphed into different forms but that has been largely understood. It may be a stretch to think it may be a man made weapons grade bio-weapon as has been thrown out there previously but even 9-11 didn’t result in as much chaos as we are seeing today. Notice the concerned expressions on the ones attempting to offer some logical explanation. Even the Pearl Harbor attack didn’t result in this kind of public reaction. At least we knew what we were fighting then.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 03:52 PM

I also rent a room in my home short-term. I have always disinfected between guests, but will be even more vigilant now. Faucet handles, light switches, door knobs, bed frames, headboards, remote controls, countertops, anything people touch.
I live in a somewhat remote location where I don't have to come in contact with others on a daily basis. But yesterday I had to go out on a major shopping trip. I brought Clorox wipes, disinfecting hand wipes and a big bottle of water with me. I brought a Clorox wipe into the stores with me and wiped down the handles of the shopping carts before I touched them. When I got back in my car, I tried not to touch anything in my car and cleaned my hands with the disinfectant and the poured water over them. When I got home, I wiped down all the outsides of the containers I had bought, then washed my hands well with soap and water (one of the best preventatives), then wiped the faucet handles I'd touched down.
I saw a couple people wearing masks, but most people don't have a clue how to wear them in a way that makes them valuable. One woman was constantly adjusting it, grabbing it with her thumb and index finger on the inside and outside of the mask. Unless her hands were sterile, she just contaminated her mask.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 04:53 PM

Hey Blanca. Hope to see you soon. Stay Gold.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Even the Pearl Harbor attack didn’t result in this kind of public reaction. At least we knew what we were fighting then.

I've been watching people's reaction with fascination and concern. Why is the public reaction in this country so much more intense than with H1N1, a similar pandemic just 10 years ago?

My conclusion is that much of it has to do with the erosion of trust. At this point even our President's staunch followers know that almost any time he opens his mouth, he's lying to us, so we have no leadership in this time of uncertainty, and we're seeing the result. :(

Don’t forget a completely useless mainstream media with no credible reporting.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2020 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Even the Pearl Harbor attack didn’t result in this kind of public reaction. At least we knew what we were fighting then.

I've been watching people's reaction with fascination and concern. Why is the public reaction in this country so much more intense than with H1N1, a similar pandemic just 10 years ago?

My conclusion is that much of it has to do with the erosion of trust. At this point even our President's staunch followers know that almost any time he opens his mouth, he's lying to us, so we have no leadership in this time of uncertainty, and we're seeing the result. :(

yep
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.