Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Corona virus? How are you dealing with it? San Ignacio
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 07:12 PM

Starbucks should be open! Dispensing caffeine has got to be considered an "essential service"!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Starbucks should be open! Dispensing caffeine has got to be considered an "essential service"!

Booze, cigarettes, and coffee. America's real diet.

John
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

If they stop you, open the window and start coughing. :P

I predict that will go over about as well as joking about having a bomb in the airport security line up.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 07:09 AM

Paco, I had never heard of Grupo Bella. I watched the video, how fun indeed.

Ateo! I would be so happy if I were able to grab a Starbucks coffee. It is comfort supreme. A constant in an inconstant world.

Stay home if you can folks...Stay healthy and safe. One day I would enjoy meeting each and every one of you in person!

surabi and bezelle - can you explain your names? They are beautiful.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:26 AM
Timeline of the Tales

The errant White House line:

January 22nd:

Trump is asked about the coronavirus > " .....We have it totally under control. It’s one person
coming in from China, and we have it under control,” Trump told CNBC. “It’s going to be just fine.”

January 30th:

The World Health Organization classified COVID-19 as an international health emergency.

Trump says " ...... We think we have it very well under control ...... We have very
little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating
successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s
going to have a very good ending for us. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as some people think it
could be ..... ”

February 10th:

“....... Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think
that goes away in April with the heat, as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away
in April. We’re in great shape, though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are
in good shape now......”

February 14th:

“.......There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm, historically, that has been able to
kill the virus so we don’t know yet. We’re not sure yet. But that’s around the corner...... ”

February 23rd:

“ ....... We have it very much under control in this country.......”

February 24th:

Trump reveals where the bulk of his concern lies: how the coronavirus could
impact the stock market.

February 26th:

“....... We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people ...... And we could be at just one
or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck ....... I think
every aspect of our society should be prepared .......I don’t think it’s going to come to that,
especially with the fact that we’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down,
not up ......”

February 27th:

“....... It’s going to disappear One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

February 28th:

During a rally in South Carolina, Trump alleges Democrats are politicizing the
coronavirus, calling it “their new hoax.”

February 29th:

“........I’ve gotten to know these professionals. They’re incredible and everything is under
control. I mean, they’re very, very cool. They’ve done it, and they’ve done it well.
Everything is really under control ........”

March 4th:

In an interview with Sean Hannity, Trump calls the WHO’s estimate of the global
death rate “false,” describes the coronavirus as “very mild,” and suggests that those infected
can get better by “sitting around” and “going to work.”

March 7th:

“ ........ No, I’m not concerned at all,” Trump said from Mar-a-Lago. “No, I’m not. No, we’ve
done a great job ........”

March 9th:

Trump bashes Democrats for sounding the alarm “far beyond what the facts would
warrant” before implying that the common flu is far worse, an argument he’s made on several
occasions and which has been parroted by Fox News.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 11:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

surabi and bezelle - can you explain your names? They are beautiful.

Thanks. Not my real name. Was a nickname a good friend came up with for me in high school, by sort of combining the sound of my first name and last initial.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
The errant White House line:

January 22nd:

Trump is asked about the coronavirus > " .....We have it totally under control. It’s one person
coming in from China, and we have it under control,” Trump told CNBC. “It’s going to be just fine.”

January 30th:

The World Health Organization classified COVID-19 as an international health emergency.

Trump says " ...... We think we have it very well under control ...... We have very
little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating
successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s
going to have a very good ending for us. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as some people think it
could be ..... ”

February 10th:

“....... Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think
that goes away in April with the heat, as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away
in April. We’re in great shape, though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are
in good shape now......”

February 14th:

“.......There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm, historically, that has been able to
kill the virus so we don’t know yet. We’re not sure yet. But that’s around the corner...... ”

February 23rd:

“ ....... We have it very much under control in this country.......”

February 24th:

Trump reveals where the bulk of his concern lies: how the coronavirus could
impact the stock market.

February 26th:

“....... We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people ...... And we could be at just one
or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck ....... I think
every aspect of our society should be prepared .......I don’t think it’s going to come to that,
especially with the fact that we’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down,
not up ......”

February 27th:

“....... It’s going to disappear One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

February 28th:

During a rally in South Carolina, Trump alleges Democrats are politicizing the
coronavirus, calling it “their new hoax.”

February 29th:

“........I’ve gotten to know these professionals. They’re incredible and everything is under
control. I mean, they’re very, very cool. They’ve done it, and they’ve done it well.
Everything is really under control ........”

March 4th:

In an interview with Sean Hannity, Trump calls the WHO’s estimate of the global
death rate “false,” describes the coronavirus as “very mild,” and suggests that those infected
can get better by “sitting around” and “going to work.”

March 7th:

“ ........ No, I’m not concerned at all,” Trump said from Mar-a-Lago. “No, I’m not. No, we’ve
done a great job ........”

March 9th:

Trump bashes Democrats for sounding the alarm “far beyond what the facts would
warrant” before implying that the common flu is far worse, an argument he’s made on several
occasions and which has been parroted by Fox News.

you ought to be ashamed of yourself! posting facts and information. You know that is literal torture to many here, forcing people to square their personal biases with actual fact and information - you sir are truely evil!
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 06:23 PM

Mr Bill M

Excellent synopsis. Really puts what has happened in the clearest manner.

Thank you
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 09:27 AM
The Ongoing Paper Chase

A week or so ago, reading a newspaper article regarding Amazon adjusting and prioritizing their shipping policies to reflect necessities, it was noted that they were swamped with orders for (you guessed) TOILET PAPER !

My curiosity piqued, I browsed their site and found that any (more or less) reasonably-priced selections were listed unavailable so, for the Hell of it, I ordered (one) 10-pack of (not too outrageous) TP.

With a shipping date of April 20-May 08) !

This a.m., I received a shipping update which I supposed "might" be earlier.

WRONG. Now April 28-May 20.

Funny.

Thankfully, we aren't (for awhile, at least) among those who would be anxiously awaiting their wipes. For that matter, we have a family "insider" supply offer should the need arise. Of course, by the time we might want to take advantage, she might be unable to come through.

Quien Sabe ?

Well, today is a "Got Milk ?" day. And, whatever else (in stock) strikes the fancy. Time for a cautious contagion cruise.

The last time that we purchased a refrigerator, there was an argument (well debate) over sizing. With only the two of us home and often gone, I won the day over the larger one that mi esposa wanted.

She now reminds me DAILY of THAT error.

Who woulda thunk ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzelle  
A week or so ago, reading a newspaper article regarding Amazon adjusting and prioritizing their shipping policies to reflect necessities, it was noted that they were swamped with orders for (you guessed) TOILET PAPER !

there are others planet-wide that have figured out how to eliminate the need for TP! (not an option?)

what about a bidet-style set up?

Using the three seashells:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 10:21 AM

How much toilet paper do people need? Maybe it is some kind of Freudian thing. Retentive?

Proving me right, article in NYT today said everyone should be wearing masks, as is required in China. This a day after "Dr Oz" said no one in the public should be wearing masks because they are needed by medical professionals. Thanks Dr. Oz for all your help in this crisis.

Pedantic: Surgical masks do not provide effective protection. Facial hair may interfere their effectiveness and most people do not know how to wear one properly.

Pragmatic: Here are your masks. Wear them.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 11:53 AM
Masking the Problem

Beyond the debatable protective nature, there is the argument that those masks may provide a false sense of security with people then becoming less attentive to maintaining distance.

???????????

I suppose that it doesn't matter much (to most of us) given the current and future guaranteed unavailability.

As to the Toilet Paper, it seems to still be the hot item. Empty shelves @ Stater Bros. while the Paper Towels were plentiful.

Wondering whether that and other product shortages were a result of supply deficiencies or continued panic, one clerk said "we're restocking daily, but it (the TP) still goes fast".

Milk and Bread no problem, but (a sign of changing demographics ?), the Tortilla section (with signs saying "limit one") stripped clean.

One aisle that has appeared unaffected has been the Cookies and Crackers. I suppose that the day it goes low will signify the coming Armageddon.

Peanuts (in the shell) were getting low. THAT is worrisome IF it's a trend. I'd have a difficult time explaining that to the Squirrels.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzelle  

there are others planet-wide that have figured out how to eliminate the need for TP! (not an option?)

what about a bidet-style set up?

Sure......if you're building a new house.

Otherwise, an addition of something that will probably cost thousands to retrofit into your existing bathroom, is not going to be within the means of many. Especially if you are wanting WARM water on your nether regions.

Oh, wait............sounds like Treasury is going to be cutting us all checks for 2-3k. Mad Bidet Bucks!!!
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:06 PM

Am sure all areas are different ..as all people are.

Two weeks ago we began advising crews to get prepared.
We've encountered resistance from some "We have confidence in our God." This is not a religious discussion - We explained the importance of listening to experts - Science/Doctors.
Telling guests scheduled to arrive about the Level 4, was scoffed at.

The longer people don't do what is recommended/asked/ordered the longer we will be dealing with this.

Have had a wicked case of laryngitis since Feb 16th .. People who know me know how ironic this is .. have been in self-quarantine since Feb 13th when I first began to feel sick w/a dry cough.

"You" may agree or disagree with what I am writing, or with the principles, beliefs, etc. of others - we wish you peace in your decisions and choices .. and ask all to consider the results of ones actions, and the importance and necessity for following the warnings.. We need a return to thoughtfulness, compassion, no-bullying or b.s. name calling, we need respectful and sensitive leadership like Andrew Cuomo.

Prayers and best wishes to all for good health, speedy recoveries, and all around positive outcomes.

Lori Garcia

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  

We've encountered resistance from some "We have confidence in our God." This is not a religious discussion - We explained the importance of listening to experts - Science/Doctors.

The longer people don't do what is recommended/asked/ordered the longer we will be dealing with this.

Have had a wicked case of laryngitis since Feb 16th .. People who know me know how ironic this is .. have been in self-quarantine since Feb 13th when I first began to feel sick w/a dry cough.

"You" may agree or disagree with what I am writing, or with the principles, beliefs, etc. of others - we wish you peace in your decisions and choices .. and ask all to consider the results of ones actions, and the importance and necessity for following the warnings.. We need a return to thoughtfulness, compassion, no-bullying or b.s. name calling, we need respectful and sensitive leadership like Andrew Cuomo.

Prayers and best wishes to all for good health, speedy recoveries, and all around positive outcomes.

Lori Garcia

Thank you Lori for your wise words.
Please get well soon!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:31 AM

USA leadership completely dropped the ball on this crisis. We are critically in short supply of the protective gear health professionals need. People are getting mixed messages from D.C. and continue to defy the shelter at home and social distancing recommendations (mandates for some states).

BUT, economically? I think we will recover. It will take a couple of years, just like the 2008 Great Recession. I am a stats person. I keep those numbers. I looked back to 2008. Our 401K dropped 39%. It was back up and then some within two years. In my heart I don't believe landlords will tell their small business renters they must pay the back rent for the crisis weeks. I believe between small business loans and the kindness of others we will get through this. In 10 years we will see it as a glitch in the grand scheme.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  

Lori Garcia

Thank you Lori for your wise words.
Please get well soon!

Amen!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:41 AM
On the Road Again this a.m.

Heading up to check on my Travel Trailer at the campground before the next round of crap weather and have a bit of social interaction .................. with the Squirrels, Crow, Stellar Jays, Acorn Woodpeckers, Hummingbirds y otra critters.

Setting out a bit for the Deer, Raccoons y Coyotes before heading back home.

While staying as FAR AWAY from people as I'm allowed.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2020 at 03:54 AM

So, how are we doing?

We have settled into a routine here. A balance of exercizing, lots if cooking, and a variety of tv programs we both enjoy.

Ms. Social here misses people!!! My new laptop decided to eliminate wifi access completely about a week ago. Missing nomads but it is a royal pain to use cell phone (I am doing it now).

My kid in air force in Germany lives at the edge of town with miles of hiking trails. He, his wife and daughter are feliz!

My other kid in LA got a relief check and it really was a big relief.

How ya doin?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2020 at 06:29 AM

Hi Blanca, glad you guys are fine!
Elizabeth and I are also fine... No issues with anybody we know here in the U.S.. In fact, the thing is so rare, nobody is too much concerned.. only the news media! :o

Here, everyone wears masks inside businesses that are open... and many are. Yesterday, we had our first meal away from home, in a coffee house kind of restaurant... Many restaurants have opened up with some modifications, finally. I was getting bored of my own cooking! LOL :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-25-2020 by David K]

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.