Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Silver linings
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:12 PM
Silver linings

Fuel prices down here are plummeting. Magna was 15.98 per litre or 2.52 usd to the gallon and diesel was18.93 per litro 2.98:bounce:. Only bummer is we are going into lockdown mode down here also:(.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:25 PM

Gas prices, property values, all of it will drop. Deflation. Too few dollars chasing too many goods. Massive wealth has evaporated, seemingly overnight.

Welcome to the Coronavirus Depression. The train has stopped, no one imagined that could happen. A new opportunity for Economics PhD dissertations, for sure.

At least we have a bit better concept of economic tools than 1930, but it might still be worse due to the unprecedented total shutdown, as small business will be devastated, making recovery difficult. This is an unprecedented economic shock.

Tremendous wealth inequality in America does not help, and it may possibly get much worse, if foreclosures mount and more of the middle class become a permanent part of the "renter" class, no longer able to build wealth.

Only the wealthy at that point will be scooping up those assets, dirt cheap. The light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train.

Let's hope not.

John

[Edited on 3-20-2020 by John Harper]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:35 PM

Silver lining you say,,,, The Los Angeles traffic has been like this since the 60's !

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:35 PM

Where was the Magna at 15.98 a liter? The beginning of the week it was 18.8 in Ensenada. Wow, how rapidly everything is changing.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Where was the Magna at 15.98 a liter? The beginning of the week it was 18.8 in Ensenada. Wow, how rapidly everything is changing.[/rquote

In Colima, Colima. It was 19 a couple of weeks ago.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:45 PM
Silver Linings in Tough Times

" Smoke em if you got em. "

Arriving home this afternoon and sitting down with the latest American Rifleman, I found (on page 35) something I hadn't seen in a long while:

A full-page ad for Winston Cigarettes .......... " Because it's still legal TO HAVE FUN. Some people don't want you to have fun. We aren't those people. Since 1954, we've just been making quality smokes so you can enjoy yourself ".

One wonders if it's just coincidental that it comes in these uncertain times. Historically it has been the case that people "don't worry about what might kill you years later when you are liable to die tomorrow".
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 04:45 PM

My silver lining was exchanging my pesos for dollars two weeks ago for 18.25. It probably takes a few more pesos now.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 05:00 PM

Ya, at this point on, enjoy every moment and everything you can, Booze and good wine, smokes, those extra cookies, fattening food, who cares ?
IF you dig it do it !!!

Just include watching nice sunrise and or sunset's....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Gas prices, property values, all of it will drop. Deflation. Too few dollars chasing too many goods. Massive wealth has evaporated, seemingly overnight.

Welcome to the Coronavirus Depression. The train has stopped, no one imagined that could happen. A new opportunity for Economics PhD dissertations, for sure.

At least we have a bit better concept of economic tools than 1930, but it might still be worse due to the unprecedented total shutdown, as small business will be devastated, making recovery difficult. This is an unprecedented economic shock.

Tremendous wealth inequality in America does not help, and it may possibly get much worse, if foreclosures mount and more of the middle class become a permanent part of the "renter" class, no longer able to build wealth.

Only the wealthy at that point will be scooping up those assets, dirt cheap. The light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train.

Let's hope not.

John

jfc. Get a grip. It's gonna be ok.

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 05:14 PM
Plata, o plumo?

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
My silver lining was exchanging my pesos for dollars two weeks ago for 18.25. It probably takes a few more pesos now.

You got silver, I wound up with lead! When I left La Paz in early March, I made sure I had plenty of emergency cash for the drive north. Unfortunately, I decided not to exchange them when I crossed since I would be SOB again very soon.

Wrong on both counts!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Not everyone has the privilege of being a CEO right now. You're the last to get laid off at times like this. You'll be okay, I'm quite sure.

I hope I'm wrong, but this is unprecedented, we'll see. It will eventually end, the wreckage is still to be determined. Keeping small businesses alive is critical.

My high school is closed, and all the businesses around it are suffering, there is a ripple effect. High school teachers, classified help, and 2500 students food orders provided substantial income to local business. Even during the 2008 recession schools stayed open. Think about it. This is worse.

I did have a grip on the throttle of my Harley yesterday, and gave it a firm twist. Yee Haw!! First good day of weather in a couple weeks. Almost went for the ton, but decided not worth the ticket.

John

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by John Harper]
bezzelle
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 05:45 PM

Man Friday gets sick ... whatchou gonna do?? :bounce:

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by bezzelle]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 06:13 PM

Let's hope not.

John

an event like Corona has been predicted as "black swan" some years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan:_The_Impact_of_...

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

A full-page ad for Winston Cigarettes .......... " Because it's still legal TO HAVE FUN. Some people don't want you to have fun. We aren't those people. Since 1954, we've just been making quality smokes so you can enjoy yourself ".

Have you seen the one with the guy on the old Yamaha YZ400, no helmet, ripping through the backcountry, smoking a grit. I love it!!! I want a framed picture of that one.

There is so much wrong with that picture that it's awesome!!!!

John

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by John Harper]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 07:25 PM
Wild Ride

It's in the magazine ad. Complete with CYA:

* Photographed on private property. Winston does not recommend riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 07:52 PM

Let's hope not.

John

South Korea and China stopped their virus thru hard work and competent take-charge leadership.
Trump dilly-dallied for weeks, the virus spread throughout the USA in those weeks, and ca, ny and il had to step up and lead the clampdown for their own citizens after trump failed to lead and act.
Expect the trumpian surge of patients to flood the hospitals in next few weeks.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 07:55 PM

Remember the old Rainier beer commercial? Mt. Rainier in the background, and a motorcycle shifting through three gears....Rayyyyyy-Neeeeeer-Beeeeer!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 08:28 PM

Let's hope not.

John

Do you have the GPS co-ords for that?

Don't believe everything you think....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Remember the old Rainier beer commercial? Mt. Rainier in the background, and a motorcycle shifting through three gears....Rayyyyyy-Neeeeeer-Beeeeer!

Yes I do. I also remember Joe c-cker came through the checkstand at the Safeway I worked at in high school. He was staying at a ranch outside town, and was with a couple women friends. Only thing he bought was two 24 packs of Rainier Beer and a pack of smokes. I was, of course, thrilled to meet him.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:40 AM
Another (future) silver lining!

When the bulk of this pandemic has run it's course, stores, yard sales, and outlet stores are going to be discounting hoarded or over ordered hand sanitizer.

It is my favorite campfire starter when you don't have good dry kindling! It packs well, sticks to the wood you are trying to light, does not flare up, doesn't smell bad, and is good for other uses. It is also the best agent for removing pitch from you or your dog's hair.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.