BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Americans living in Mexico; are you packing up to leave?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 08:18 AM
Americans living in Mexico; are you packing up to leave?

What is your thinking, at this point, with the new border restrictions? Are you packing up? "Shuddering" in place?

Quite honestly, the border restrictions really dont affect us, in terms of being able to return to the US. The first identified definition of essential travel on the recently published DHS publication is Americans returning to the country. Hopefully, you will find it attached below.

Lots to consider here. Especially if you would be returning to a state that is in total lockdown.

Your thoughts? Maybe include where you are in Mexico.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.g...

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by Hook]
jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
What is your thinking, at this point, with the new border restrictions? Are you packing up? "Shuddering" in place?

We are staying put in northern Los Cabos (8km south of Los Barriles). We are hoping to break ground on our house next week, which may be spectacularly bad timing, of course ...

keeping our distance from other humans and hoping for the best ...

jake
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:17 AM

I think I am safer here. Besides, I LIVE here.

Edit to correct spelling

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:27 AM

I crossed northbound on March 6th, with the intention of returning to La Paz to complete some dental work in May or June. Given the developments over the last couple of weeks, that trip is postponed, but I wish I had stayed down south until the work was completed!

There are so many unknowns, but based on what information is available at this time, La Paz may be safer than parts of California! Having said that, if I was to be infected with the virus I would rather be home than far, far away traveling with a dog!

I have been in contact with my dentist, and have asked her to forward any local information that she may have access to through the medical community there.

Edit; My dentist just replied that postponing my work is the right thing at this time, and she may be closing her office for a while after she finishes the appointments she has now. There are no known cases where she is, or where I am now, but we both expect that to change!

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:47 AM

I'm with the Squirrel on both counts. Going back would be starting over, again.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:56 AM

Went to La Paz on Monday with plans to stay until mid-April. After State Department warning issued Thurs to return immediately or be prepared to stay away indefinitely, I decided to return home right away and came home yesterday. I really think I was safer in Baja but at times like this I felt it best to be with family. Additionally if I was to contract the virus I feel US healthcare is better able to meet my needs. At the very least I can communicate better with them.

The other issue was the availability of airlines. Luckily to get home was a domestic flight for me LAP-TIJ but even then one never knows when or if that would shut down. Many international flights have already be discontinued. I figured the sooner I got into the petri dish of an airline the better as more and more people become carriers each day.

I also had the option of simply driving home at my leisure as my country has to let me in though I might have had to spend some time in quarantine. Besides when the hoards start scavenging supplies through my neighborhood I didn't want my daughter having to shoot them all herself! :biggrin::biggrin:

In Memory of E-57
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:02 AM

If I were in Baja, and I am not, and if I were fairly confident that I had not been exposed to CV-19, I would stay put. Think risk of contracting the virus with boarder closed would be significantly less than being in States, CA and WA in particular. Crossing boarder and traveling North to Canada also would be at a higher risk too. If I were staying in Baja, I would exercise social distancing or self quarantine myself and family to decrease risk of exposure to the virus. Doing this in Baja, would not mean the same as here in CA.
Now of course, the risk is, if you get the virus, where is the better place for medical care?
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
If I were in Baja, and I am not, and if I were fairly confident that I had not been exposed to CV-19, I would stay put. Think risk of contracting the virus with boarder closed would be significantly less than being in States, CA and WA in particular. Crossing boarder and traveling North to Canada also would be at a higher risk too. If I were staying in Baja, I would exercise social distancing or self quarantine myself and family to decrease risk of exposure to the virus. Doing this in Baja, would not mean the same as here in CA.
Now of course, the risk is, if you get the virus, where is the better place for medical care?
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

We are doing what you are suggesting, with respect to social interaction. But we are still biking with others, hiking with others, ATVing and kayaking. Pickleball is possibly done, even though it's easy to disinfect the ball and wear gloves.

But I suspect that no one in Mexico really knows how many cases there are down here. Could there really be very many test kits down here?

BTW, if the border wait times can be believed, both San Ysidro and Nogales in AZ are the emptiest I have ever seen them for this time of day, especially it being a weekend.

I guess I never realized how many Mexicans were day tripping into the States and shopping. That appears to have stopped completely.

Oh yeah, all the Canadians cleared out last week. So, there's that, too.

I expected a big rush of Americans, after the announcement yesterday. Doesnt seem to be materializing.

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by Hook]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:25 AM

Hook, I do not live in Mexico at this time, but I replied to this post because the reason I scheduled dental work in the summer is so that I could check out areas that I am considering for at least part time residency.

If I was already there, I would hold in place. but make sure that I could drive to the border without having to restock my food, cash, or gasoline!

I would not go through an airline terminal or sit in an airliner. Of all the 13 cases that have presented in Alaska, the patients were either recent air travelers, or co-workers they infected since they returned.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, we are a 4-5 hour drive to the border. So, we dont have to use any public transportation.

I cant imagine being on a full bus for hours. Possibly the worst scenario.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:42 AM

I was thinking more of an interruption of the supply chain, in addition to "social distancing".

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 10:43 AM

Staying put. And feeling just fine about the choice.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 11:24 AM

First time in many years did not make it to the winter home in Mulege. Couple weeks ago started planning for late April -June trip and maybe to Lapaz for dental work. Looks like that just got kicked inna butt...
Would have been pretty quiet with all the Canucks and Americanos already gone...
Oh well maybe next fall. It's been hard holding our breath this long.
Now trying to find salad fixins but too many folks decided to get their 20 year supply last week so nothing left on the shelf...
gotta luv em.
Wash your hands and use your blinkers now.....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 11:50 AM

I´m packing up my truck right now! To head to a nice isolated beach for the day:biggrin:. We are staying put.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 12:04 PM

I think anyone who is in Baja who has rescources to subsist and can stay sort of isolated should stay there. Things in the Norte are going to continue to degenerate. Too many cooks in the kitchen making decisions cant be enforced for very long. Health care system will likely collapse before long. Cowboy up and stay put....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Of all the 13 cases that have presented in Alaska, the patients were either recent air travelers, or co-workers they infected since they returned.

You happen to know where those "recent air travelers" were arriving from (i.e. a hotspot)?

I read somewhere that the aircraft air filtration systems are pretty good, so there may not be as high a risk within the actual aircraft as insinuated by the idea that if someone sneezes, it's going infect all the passengers via the air.
:?:

If you want to visit the state information site, here is the link; http://www.dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/default...

In short, 14 cases so far, 9 travel related (defined as outside Alaska) 5 local contact. Other news reports indicate that at least a few of the infected travelers were from trips to the lower 48 states.

I would not be concerned about the air flow in an aircraft, but the close contact with hard surfaces, seats and facilities along the entire route from departure to the destination. Not the least of my worries would be seated next to someone who is not displaying symptoms yet!

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 01:59 PM

24,100 total cases in the US, right now.

Only 171 have been declared fully recovered. 288 have died.

That's astounding! About 23,600 still dealing with it.

But, since they aren't letting anyone into the hospital unless they are having serious or critical symptoms, how are they able to determine who is fully recovered from only mild symptoms?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 02:46 PM

Staying put in Mexico for now until the cases rise in Baja. After that I will be heading back to Oregon. Coming down with coronavirus at my age in Mexico is a veritable death sentence. I live in a small village.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
24,100 total cases in the US, right now.

Only 171 have been declared fully recovered. 288 have died.

That's astounding! About 23,600 still dealing with it.

But, since they aren't letting anyone into the hospital unless they are having serious or critical symptoms, how are they able to determine who is fully recovered from only mild symptoms?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That and the recovered and in critical condition numbers seem to stay the same for days while all the other numbers go crazy.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 03:32 PM

It's a small world. I crossed over about two weeks ago after my wife requested I come home. I was isolated on a small beach and there is a small cafe about 6 miles away that I could ride my ebike over too. While at the cafe I was talking to an older couple from Vermont about the Corona virus. They told me they had just gotten home from China in December and narrowly missed the virus. They just as well could have brought it back with them. This is 25 miles down a dirt road in Baja.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.