BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Americans living in Mexico; are you packing up to leave?
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 03:35 PM

Skipjack
That is my plan. I am here until it does not look like a good place to be. I am an hour out of Los Cabos in a isolated area, so feel pretty good about where we are. Main thing is to avoid exposure. First few cases have been reported in Los Cabos.
One issue is that due to cancellations of flights, motels etc, the economy is already getting hard hit with mass layoffs. This could become an issue.
I am hoping to wait it out long enough for things to get better up there, but quien sabe?

The health system here will be UNABLE to cope with rising cases. I do not want to be here IF I get sick, so just trying to stay well!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 04:14 PM

Staying here in San Felipe until the snow melts and the panic subsides up north. Be her for another month or so.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 04:31 PM

What gets me is that we have people coming down from virus lockdown areas to unaffected villages without any prior testing. That is just irresponsible in my opinion.

They're willing to potentially affect an area just to avoid the monotony of a quarantine? Give me a break.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 08:58 PM

WE are in La Paz and a few days ago we got panicky and checked around about changing our return, but calmed down a bit and kept our return , scheduled for late April. A friend in health service in the US who has visited us several times said stay where you are. To return home we have to fly through Guadalajara spend the night, fly to Chicago, take a cab or UBER to the train station and about an hour and half on the train.

too much exposure right now and if April rolls around and it's not much better we'll stay longer. lots of reading to catch up on, etc.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:30 PM

Stocked up and hunkered down in Loreto, figure I have just as good of a chance here than anywhere if shtf

its a fairly small population and ~4 hours from the next big city with 100s of miles of desert/mountains to bug-out out of the back door.

I have the vehicles and RV all gassed up, food and supplies for ~2 months, ready to hit the road if needed.

But lets hope I dont need any of it.

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:51 PM

In Loreto, heading north on Monday. Originally I felt fairly safe, easy to self isolate, supplies stocked, etc. I was planning to leave in late April anyway and thought I would be good until then. However, with the level 4 warning AND all the travelers who kept appearing (examples I have personally heard: my daughter couldn’t get a flight back to the states from Europe so she flew here; my son decided he wanted a break from Seattle so he flew in, a guy with a German accent and luggage wandering around asked me where a house number for his visit was, etc) I’ve decided to go NOB, where at least some people are staying put. The planes keep flying in, the numbers of arrivals are fewer, but still they come...and this community has few medical resources

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 07:20 AM

if you live in a small community in Baja - stay put. You have good chances to ride it out unharmed.
If you live in Los Cabos - RUN! It will be one of Mexico's hot spots.
La Paz might be next

Harald Pietschmann
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 07:23 AM

We're staying in Los Barriles. We live here full time...no house to go back to. Feel much more secure here and can stay pretty isolated. Hope the tourists don't flood the town for Semana Santa. Plenty of supplies to be had at the local stores right now. And our new house is under construction, so we want to stick around for that.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 07:34 AM

The people dying of respiratory failure are dying alone. Because covid-19 is so contagious, family/friends are not allowed into hospital rooms, and the mortally sick have no choice but to die alone. So choose your medical provider carefully, they could be your only company when you are on death bed!

Always look on the bright side of life!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
if you live in a small community in Baja - stay put. You have good chances to ride it out unharmed.
If you live in Los Cabos - RUN! It will be one of Mexico's hot spots.
La Paz might be next

I think maybe you mean: If you live in a city in Los Cabos - RUN!

There are lots of small communities in Los Cabos (Miraflores, Santiago, Cabo Pulmo, Buenavista, ...)

Los Cabos is not just Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo ... I get a little tired of it all being lumped together ...

jake
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 07:44 AM

If I end up on my "death bed" the company I'm keeping is my past Fathers 38 cal. Smith & Wessen chrome plated/pearl handle revolver.

If I'm suffering too much, it will be the last thing I see.

Quite a fitting way to go out.

I sure hope I'm NEVER in that situation BUT ya never know and we all should have contingency plans in order.........................

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
queseyo

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 08:02 AM

Yep, the wife, our dog and I are laying low in Loreto for awhile. Noticeable change here in this last week or so. Some popular restaurants (like the brewery!) have closed for announced 2 weeks, way slow in town for this time of year, that's good. Watching the curve and waiting to see what Semana Santa brings. In the meantime fishing for gordo YT is pretty good (grilled a pechuga last night), long beach-combing walk to Drs Point yesterday, kayaking manana....la buena vida!.. hopng to find out how deep the snow is at 7200' in the Uintas where our summertime cabin is, we can usually drive in by mid April.
Talking to family daily and hoping they stay well. Our plans could change quickly.

"Just remember; we're all here because we're not all there." Unknown Nomad
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 09:43 AM

Conditions in San Jose del Cabo.

Art District is a ghost town. Had dinner at Garden of Secrets last night. We were the only patrons in there. Staff had rubber gloves on. LuPita only other restaurant open. They are both closing today for indeteriminate amount of time.

Saturday morning farmers market done. For Sale signs all around the lot.

Palmilla is at 3% capacity and half the staff were told to go on vacation. That means only 300 staff for 16 guests. Would assume the other hotels are the same if not closed.

There are a few gringo stragglers walking around.

We expect maybe just Zippers, Drinking Time and Shooters will be the only places open in another week. Laguna Vista Canucks gotta have someplace to go eh?

Grocery stores are still well stocked and we don't expect that to change.

Right now we are planning to stay till at least June. Summit County in Colorado is closed for business, totally, so no need to run back there right now.

Should check and see if our International Health Insurance covers the viroos.:)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  
Conditions in San Jose del Cabo.

Art District is a ghost town. Had dinner at Garden of Secrets last night. We were the only patrons in there. Staff had rubber gloves on.

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

These days cooking at home is safer!

As it is on any other day. When you make your own meal, you know what's going in there.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
In Loreto, heading north on Monday. Originally I felt fairly safe, easy to self isolate, supplies stocked, etc. I was planning to leave in late April anyway and thought I would be good until then. However, with the level 4 warning AND all the travelers who kept appearing (examples I have personally heard: my daughter couldn’t get a flight back to the states from Europe so she flew here; my son decided he wanted a break from Seattle so he flew in, a guy with a German accent and luggage wandering around asked me where a house number for his visit was, etc) I’ve decided to go NOB, where at least some people are staying put. The planes keep flying in, the numbers of arrivals are fewer, but still they come...and this community has few medical resources

All the reports from my friends up north say people are disregarding the stay home warnings as well, out and about everywhere, lined up in packs to get into grocery stores, trailheads are packed, etc

Stupidity is international

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 11:47 AM

Drove around town yesterday and it was life as usual for the locals, all the gringo restaurants are shuttered up and the pricey gringo grocery store was a well-stocked ghost town, which made for the perfect Covid buying experience! :P

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 12:58 PM

[/rquote]

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer![/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

[/rquote]

These days cooking at home is safer![/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

Paco I don´t don´t know if thats a good idea.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-lon...

This is probably a better idea:light

https://www.siasat.com/how-kill-coronavirus-learn-chinese-ex...

HEAT!

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by chippy]

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by chippy]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 01:59 PM

Thanks Chippy ,,,, You may have just saved my life !!! who knows ?

Good to know, I'll now heat it well BEFORE consumption....

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.