BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Americans living in Mexico; are you packing up to leave?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 02:33 PM
Do you store extra gasoline?

I do, and it came in handy when P.G.E. shut off power to our area last fire season. The few stations that were still able to pump had horrendous lines and some ran out!

The same thing would happen in Baja even more quickly if the supply or transportation was interrupted by unforeseen developments, or a government policy to limit public movement.

If I run out of T.P., or my foods of choice, I will figure out an alternative, but I am not set up to distill some 90 octane!

Just remember that modern gasoline has a short shelf life, so it needs to be rotated once in a while. As one of my vehicles gets low enough to dump five gallons in the tank, I will use some of the older fuel and head to the station with the empty can to freshen my stashed supply.

[Edited on 3-23-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 02:35 PM

After giving it MUCH thought, I have come to the conclusion that with staying at home except for grocery shopping, this is the safest place on Earth for us. We have family in California (nahhhh), Poland / England/ Wales (nahhhh), Brazil (where my Mom and my sister are "stuck" ...nahhhhh)

If we were to get sick, we just signed our own death sentence. Baja Sur will be hit very soon. May God take good care of all of us! Would they even let us into the States if we came up positive for corona virus?

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2020 at 05:28 PM

Blanca

This should not be taken as fact, but this is what I heard today:

If you arrive to cross the border and appear ill, they will check your temp. If you appear ill or have symptoms there is a quarantine center near San Diego staffed by the miitary where you will be taken for quarantine. Again, this has not vetted!!

One person we heard crossed with no symtoms and was told to self isolate for 14 days, which is what everyone is doing in California anyway.

Either way, things are changing so rapidly anything could be different very quickly!
Best to you and Les and stay healthy!
Grenadiers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:11 PM

We just bought a house in Mulege and plan to hunker down for quite awhile. Locals think that the beaches south of here will be closed to Semana Santa. Hope they do. Still have the overland vehicle to escape. We’re selling it if anyone is interested.

AB2FFA75-70EF-459D-BDD7-B760C0C40741.jpeg - 35kB
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:17 PM

Good call, probably a better place than most.

Looks like Don Chano's RV Park ?

Super nice rig ya got there !

[Edited on 3-23-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
After giving it MUCH thought, I have come to the conclusion that with staying at home except for grocery shopping, this is the safest place on Earth for us. We have family in California (nahhhh), Poland / England/ Wales (nahhhh), Brazil (where my Mom and my sister are "stuck" ...nahhhhh)

If we were to get sick, we just signed our own death sentence. Baja Sur will be hit very soon. May God take good care of all of us! Would they even let us into the States if we came up positive for corona virus?

Blanca,

I figure we have about 6-8 weeks before the first cases appear in our area, Asuncion and Abreojos. What do you think?

By then we will be in lockdown here and we may last longer if we fish for our own food and eat from our gardens.

Hopefully, some medication will be available to help us with an infection, if not cure us but we'll have to go to the US for that.

Stay or go, I think our chances are good - certainly better than Italy's. The stories coming from there are just heartbreaking. There is such an onslaught of sick that they don't have the facilities.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 05:49 PM

6 to 8 weeks? I would like to know how that number was arrived at.
An infected person could be in the village now..infecting others...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
6 to 8 weeks? I would like to know how that number was arrived at.
An infected person could be in the village now..infecting others...

Sure, there could be. And I'm not saying there isn't. Here's my reasoning:

We are now in the position that the US was about 3-4 weeks ago. There were a few cases in Washington State but the rest of the country was still clean. Now in Baja we have cases on the border, Tijuana and Mexicali, but the rest of the peninsula is untouched. People move up and down that peninsula at a much slower rate than along the interstates in the US. That is, fewer people move down the peninsula. Still fewer people move between highway 1 and the outlying villages of Asuncion and Abreojos.

So it's all probability. A fraction get infected. A fraction of that drives south. A fraction of that intersect with people on the coast.

So as you say it could all happen tomorrow but the chances are unlikely. So if it took 3 1/2 weeks to get to where it is now I give Asuncion 6-8 weeks. No guarantees though. Have to be ready to pick up and move if necessary.

As my Mexican neighbor says - we can beat this. We'll buy several sacks of rice, catch corbina every morning, sugar, water, and hunker down with just his near family. Under those circumstances you can last a long time, even when everyone else around you is infected. In a small village like this it can be done. Loreto, La Paz, etc is a different story.

Anyway, it's hard to say now what it will be like in the future. There are too many variables.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Grenadiers  
We just bought a house in Mulege and plan to hunker down for quite awhile. Locals think that the beaches south of here will be closed to Semana Santa. Hope they do. Still have the overland vehicle to escape. We’re selling it if anyone is interested.

Helga is a beast! I still can get over her size!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:51 AM

Helga ,,,,,, I LOVE IT !!!

How fitting ..........

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
......about 3-4 weeks ago. There were a few cases in Washington State but the rest of the country was still clean. Now in Baja we have cases on the border, Tijuana and Mexicali, ...../rquote]

Igor,
I follow your reasoning....but....the rest of the States were NOT clean.....they just were not being tested ......

This thing changes so quickly, predictions are out of date before they leave one's mouth.

Be well.

[Edited on 3-24-2020 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 09:09 AM

We headed out of Mulege early and just got back home to B.C.

On the way north all of our BLM sites in California we stay at, were packed with young dudes partying like rockstars. Not much social distancing 😎
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 09:14 AM

Ahhhh to be young and Stupid .....

Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

The odds are in your/our favor by staying put. I'm not going to waste a minute worrying about it. Bummer about your mom and sis!!! How long are they stuck in Brazil?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

[/rquote]

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer![/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

Paco I don´t don´t know if thats a good idea.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-lon...

This is probably a better idea:light

https://www.siasat.com/how-kill-coronavirus-learn-chinese-ex...

HEAT!

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by chippy]

The unnamed Chinese expert is bogus. Check out snopes.com ,and use the hairdryer to dry hair.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

[/rquote]

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer![/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

Paco I don´t don´t know if thats a good idea.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-lon...

This is probably a better idea:light

https://www.siasat.com/how-kill-coronavirus-learn-chinese-ex...

HEAT!

The unnamed Chinese expert is bogus. Check out snopes.com ,and use the hairdryer to dry hair.

Hahah. I would if I had any. I wouldn´t use the hairdryer/sinus method. I was just pointing out that heat does kill the virus. Freezing does not.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 04:37 PM

If you put it in the fridge for 3 days and keep using fridge every day, it will spread to your hands and other items in the fridge before it dies out.

Chili is one of the easiest meals to make at home. The biggest part is sifting/sorting dirt and rocks out of local beans.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:05 PM

Appears that the US Ambassador to Mexico is strongly urging Americans living in Mexico to return home ASAP.

He is also encouraging all US citizens to join the STEP program, mentioned and linked in the attached story.

He will be conducting a webinar next Tuesday, answering questions from American citizens, online.

This is a FREE story from Mexico News Daily and does not count against your monthly allotment.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/ambassador-urge...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 05:55 AM

Skipjack - I gotta tell ya, on the one hand the store has hand sanitizer and asks everyone to disinfect hands as they enter. Brilliant!

On the other, families are still getting together for parties, including some local Americans who live here. What part of stay at home did they not hear?

:o

Feathers! First off, miss you even though you are 3 minutes away if I drive real slow!

My Mom and Sister are there pretty much indefinitely. Beautiful apartment and Mom is forbidden from leaving. My sister Chris is VERY BOSSY. Mom has no choice but to stay put.

But there is no sign of Corona virus at all here in La Bocana. Nor Punta Abreojos, as far as I know. Plenty of sand beaches with not one soul walking. So far, so good.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 10:19 AM

We decided to leave La Ventana last week and head for home in Oregon. We had enough supplies for two months and our plan was to stay put. What changed out minds is that we wanted to be closer to our kids in USA in case they need us. Also heavy on our minds was the possibility of supply chains being severely disrupted just around the time that we were running out of things. It's pretty civilized up here in Oregon (just cold and raining).
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.